Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #1

Transmission dipstick

I wanted to surprise my husband so I bought him this 1991 fleetwood southwind motor home with4L80e transmission...not knowing anything about it. Turns out, the sellers where not honest. I have put a lot of money now into this and would like to maybe use it...lol
So, I found out the dipstick for the transmission has rusted off the bottom half of whole stick. I don't know how long it even was. I have been searching for months. I have called junkyards across the United States, called GM, contacted Fleetwood, looked on Facebook for people with similar. I can't even find measurements to have one made... I need help. Thinking it is around 50" long
The shop doing all the work so far said I can't change the location of the dipstick to the dog house, has to stay under hood. But couldn't help with new dipstick.
Every one on Facebook has a ford chassis, or not a 91 and wrong measurements.
Bird4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #2

At the top of this page, click onto 'Owner's Forums' then when the menu comes up click onto 'Fleetwood' and ask your question there.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:50 PM   #3

welcome to IRV2.. really need to know your chassis info.. but i am going to guess, you need to drop trans pan and the rest of dip stick will come out bottom.. then you need to carefully inspect inside pan for rust.. and the rest of bottom of trans.. change fluid and filter.. dont forget date on tires.. and change brake, p/s, eng fluids including coolant. unless you know they have been done ..good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members than me will help.. oh by the way when you put the two pieces together you will know how long.. maybe get it tack welded or something..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:53 AM   #4

By any chance have you looked for or seen a GM part number (7 digit) on the remainder of the dipstick? Chances are the dipstick in my 2002 is different but I could check for a number or measure the length.
If someone could find a place to mount the tube this might be an option:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...g&fr=part-type
Old 07-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #5

There is not part number on it, it is so rusted, I contacted gm and they only had transmission type, nothing on dipstick. Too old. Fleetwood said that was the previous company before 2009 and didn't have any info. It is rusted 3/4 of the way, but broke off at about 47", thinking it was about 50" originally.
The local repair guy is getting estimate now if there is anything he can do. He said he can't move location of dipstick already last time he fixed clutch fan when I had him check.
I called every junkyard possible?? One said he just sold a bunch, but wouldn't help me without buying the whole transmission if he did have it....heard that from couple of them...urgh
Old 07-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #6

There is not part number on it, it is so rusted, I contacted gm and they only had transmission type, nothing on dipstick. Too old. Fleetwood said that was the previous company before 2009 and didn't have any info. It is rusted 3/4 of the way, but broke off at about 47", thinking it was about 50" originally.
The local repair guy is getting estimate now if there is anything he can do. He said he can't move location of dipstick already last time he fixed clutch fan when I had him check.
I called every junkyard possible?? One said he just sold a bunch, but wouldn't help me without buying the whole transmission if he did have it....heard that from couple of them...urgh

Tags
transmission