Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Transynd Fluid & Allison Filter Change

Gentlemen, I have just posted my 60th Blog about changing the Transynd fluid and spin-on filter on my motorhome.

Please take a look and I welcome your comments.

Transynd Fluid and Allison Spin-On Filter Change

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers
Question #1. I understand the capacity of the Allison 1000 is aprox 3 gallons. You say you drained about that. I am changing from standard to synthetic. If I can get aprox 3 gallons out why do I need to do it again to get 100% synthetic?
Because you are not able to drain the torque converter. The torque converter will still have DexIII in it so you want to displace that with TSynd as much as possible.
Quote:
Question #2. What happened to your drain plug seal? Can I expect this to happen to mine?
I did not do anything to it other than remove it. The last person that touched the plug was an Allison tech. Short answer is most likely "Yes" and just go and buy a new drain plug "now" and have it standing by. It's the least expensive part that you might have to invest in plus you get a brand new seal on the drain plug. Something tells me that the plug should be replaced everytime you change the pluid. It's not at all like an oil drain plug.

Quote:
Question #3. Why did you NOT tighten the drain plug to torque specs?
Like Ron Regan would say .... "Well ...." Let's chalk it up to mechanics intuition. I was an HD mechanic (yes NOT tech) for many years and I have a feel for how tight things should be - call it the "Force" or whatever. I snugged the plug until it didn't move easily and then just cranked in a little more twist until I thought it was tight enough. If you do yank on the thing too hard you could possibly pull the threads out of the pan and definetely damage the neoplrene seal. Remember it's not a head bolt.

Best reason is that I don't have a torque wrench that small.

Thanks for the questions!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKMesser
Now, what is strange, I took over 14 qts out, refilled with almost 15. I did tilt the MH with the jacks to get more out as the drain plug is one one side of the pan, and recessed.
PKMesser, I am expecting that the connections to your cool pack might have been modified to some extent by Newmar BUT I don't see how that can be possible to design a system that will use 2 additional quarts of fluid.

I don't have a reasonable guess as to where the extra fluid comes from. I know it's not coming from the converter.

You're probably having to buy 4 gallons of fluid to make up for those 2 extra quarts!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The extra qts can be used with other transmisson fluids. So if you need to adds some to the old beeter use it up.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
PKMesser, I am expecting that the connections to your cool pack might have been modified to some extent by Newmar BUT I don't see how that can be possible to design a system that will use 2 additional quarts of fluid.

I don't have a reasonable guess as to where the extra fluid comes from. I know it's not coming from the converter.

You're probably having to buy 4 gallons of fluid to make up for those 2 extra quarts!
Interesting. When I did my second synthetic oil change 4 or 5 years ago I show draining out 14 quarts also and had to buy an extra gallon. I remember also that the coach sat idle for only about 3 weeks. My first trans oil change was only somewhat more than 11 qts.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Allison says if you get a fluid test, you may get many more months over 48 out of the transynd.

You could do that test when you change the filter at their recommended 36 months.

From their Operators Manual.
Local conditions, severity of operation or duty cycle may require more or less frequent fluid change intervals that differ from the
published recommended fluid change intervals of Allison Transmission.

Transmission protection and fluid change intervals can be optimized by the use of fluid analysis.
Filters must be changed at or before recommended intervals.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
From their Operators Manual.
Local conditions, severity of operation or duty cycle may require more or less frequent fluid change intervals that differ from the published recommended fluid change intervals of Allison Transmission.
The duty cycle for the Allison 1000LCT or MH when used in a motorhome application is considered to be Heavy Duty or severe and as such the schedule calls for a fluid change at 48 months. This is what the Allison rep told me at the FMCA Rally.

I do agree that fluid testing is an excellent tool and a BIG help in getting a handle on what your transmission is doing. If an owner commits to replacing the fluid at 150K mi, 4K hrs or 48 mo, the performance of the transmission fluid is assured. Testing would definitely tell you what the mechanical components are doing and if any trouble is looming on the horizon.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just found some more Transynd ID tags and having one of these things is a good idea although it is unlikely that anyone would get under the hood to add transmission fluid.

I obtained some of these at past RV Shows and rallies that I have attended. On the back of he tag, I wrote in the mileage. The last tag fell off because the tie wrap broke but I put it on there in 2005-2006. I think I'll go out and double up the tie wrap.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver,
When filling my RV with DELVAC Syntec--after I let it set for three days and changing the internal filter and spin on filter--It took exactly four gallons to fill her up.

WoodyK
2004 Allegro Bay W22 chasis
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyk View Post
Driver,
When filling my RV with DELVAC Syntec--after I let it set for three days and changing the internal filter and spin on filter--It took exactly four gallons to fill her up.
Amazing! I wonder where the other gallon went? I bet there was some fluid in the bottom of the pan when you pulled it down.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Amazing! I wonder where the other gallon went? I bet there was some fluid in the bottom of the pan when you pulled it down.

This fits with my experience, If you look, the drainplug is recessed quite a bit. Therefore the drainplug will not empy the pan. I tilted mine after it stopped flowing, and got more out, and ultimately put 15 qts back in.

This also answers the question about how much the convertor holds. The dry fill is listed at 19 qts. If Woody got 16 out by removing the pan, then that means the convertor holds about 3 qts.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Considering that the fill capacity as stated is 10.6 quarts, I'm not feeling at all bad about only changing 12 quarts since that's all I got out of the pan. A 3 gallon change will do it more good than not having changed it at all.

It is noted that a pan off refill will require 16 quarts and that a leaning motorhome may take up to 15 quarts.

Tags
allison, fluid