Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Travel Uncertianty before brake replacement

Having had the calipers lubed and greased, brake fluid changed and then locking up the front right and rear left ones. I am sure that this has happened others and want to know how they feel about traveling before the replacements are available?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I continue to use the MH but I am careful how I use the brakes. I posted how I drive over in another Topic, here is the link - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/techn...s-62170-2.html

Hoping it is soon that they start to replace brakes.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My concern would be the long interstate travels wherein a dragging caliper might not be noticed, assuming it might be more noticable in short intervals during stop and go low speed. I changed the calipers, pads, fluid and pins last year before our annual Florida trip from Cincinnati. I would change the calipers (only), knowing they are the cause of the problem. Would be worth the peace of mind. I had two calipers seize during the summer prior to changing all those parts.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg6 View Post
Would be worth the peace of mind. I had two calipers seize during the summer prior to changing all those parts.
How many did you change?
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had lubed the pins and all the things that were called suspect prior to the first seized caliper and had the second seize while traveling to have the code cleared for the ABS error. Both of the calipers released after sitting, but the first smoked and damaged the sensor. Bottom line is back then no one would/could identify the caliper as the cause of the failures. So I changed all the parts, including burned the sensor. Four calipers, four sets of pins ( made sure they were Bosch with their grease) and four set of pads. Again it was peace of mind, just trying to buy time until the problem was/is solved.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We continue to use our's and try to follow the instructions furnished by WH. We are vigilant toward the brakes when taking rest stops. We will enjoy our unit now and after the recall is completed.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Again it was peace of mind, just trying to buy time until the problem was/is solved.
I changed all 4 calipers 18 months ago and I'm running any time I want to and I am not afraid one bit that I'll get stuck.

You're all set .. no need to put more money into the system. You go and get on the road and don't worry about it!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What are the WH instructions?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
What are the WH instructions?
The ones found on the glove box card supplied by WH here http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11595
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks! Guess I did see that card. Think it was after I replaced all my parts. Still does not instill confidence relative to future failures. There were posts suggesting "let them cool and travel on". Seems like a good way to compound any damage that may have occured the during first seized caliper. I also check my replaced calipers with an infrared thermometer during stops. Would be interesting to know what WH has told travelers that have had calipers seize and did call WH?
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Would be interesting to know what WH has told travelers that have had calipers seize and did call WH?
We have had a number of people that have called Roadside Assistance and they are well prepared to deal with any type of brake failure.

I found out way early in life in my previous motorhome a 2001 W20 with ZOPS brakes that allowing the caliper to cool releases the piston. At that time, the event occurred before the campaign was launched for the caliper pins.

We were on our way to trade in our 37G for a W22 2003 38G. Never did find out how if they found something on the 01 or not.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't mean to insinuate that Wh would not be prepared to respond, just wondered what they would offer in the way of assistance. Not reassuring to me to have to call Indiana when I breaksown in Georgia and not knowing what damage has been done internally as the smoke clears. Did have the smoke and the clearing, but in Ohio near home at the time. I followed your lead again and installed the Grade Brake based in part on the past experience with the MH brakes. Hope it will help insure further brake problems will not recur with the existing brakes and when the new calipers are installed. Don't want to be accused of not knowing how to drive the hills (not serious -don't want to start something)
Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I still drive mine although I am more aware of the brake issue and drive it carefully. I figure if I pay attention, the worst that will happen is the caliper will lock up and I will have to wait until it cools. Good time for a snack and a walk.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #14

I have had the brakes hang up 3 times. I don't want to risk my family to faulty brakes so my MH sits in the barn until it is safe to drive. When I called WH after the first problem and they told me to just pull over for an hour or so until they cool down and then continue my trip I lost a lot of faith in WH.