Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
paz

My wife and I attended the PRVCA show in Hershey last Wednesday and Thursday. Even though we are not in the market for a new RV in the near future, I really wanted to test drive a UFO so we jumped at the chance to sign up for a time slot for Thursday. Unfortunately, when we got to the Workhorse booth at our scheduled time, we found out they only had one test unit and it was down for repairs. I'm not really clear on what the problem was, but they said the test motorhome probably wouldn't be ready until the next day. Since we were planning to leave that afternoon, we had to pass on trying to reschedule. Needless to say, I was very disappointed! Oh well, I know things sometimes happen that are beyond our control, but it's too bad they only had one test coach. Maybe some other member(s) managed to get a test drive and can report back to the rest of us. We will try again at the Tampa show in January since we will be in FL at that time.

On the plus side, I was able to view a number of UFO motorhomes on display.

Winnebago/Itasca is building their two Destination/Latitude floorplans on both the UFO and on the Freightliner XC chassis. From what I saw, prices for the FL are only about $1100 higher than the UFO. If I really wanted a Destination or Latitude, the UFO would be a hard sell for me since it looks like I could get a diesel with air brakes and air bag suspension for a small increase in price.

Georgie Boy has one floorplan in the Cruise Master line and it is only offered on the UFO. It has a very interesting full-wall slide layout.

The Forest River Georgetown has one or two floorplans on the UFO and several floorplans in the same line that are front-engine gassers. Most, if not all, the front-engine gassers on display were on Fords.

Monaco/Holiday Rambler is building two floorplans of the LaPalma/Vacationer on the UFO. They have several other floorplans in the same line on their own Roadmaster chassis. The Roadmaster looks to be a no-frills diesel pusher chassis with only 22,000 lb GVWR and a 325 hp "low torque" (their words) Cummins diesel. The CCC ratings I saw for the Roadmaster chassis units ran from under 400 lbs to an only slightly less dismal 685 lbs. The UFOs were much better at over 3000 lbs.

Without the drive line and exhaust running down the center of the frame, I was hoping someone would be building huge basement storage areas like the diesel pushers have, but I didn't see any like that. All the UFO motorhomes I saw had decent basement storage, but they weren't much better than most current front-engine motorhomes.

Prices of all the UFO motorhomes on display ranged from about $150k to $180K, depending on the manufacturer and depending on options. I'm happy to report, where I could find the CCC ratings, they were very respectable at over 3000 lbs. in spite of the fact that the UFO motorhomes were pretty much all 38 or 39 feet and had multiple slides (except the Cruise Master with its one full-wall slide).

Oh BTW, Workhorse says more manufacturers will be announcing "shortly" that they will be building on the UFO.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
paz

My wife and I attended the PRVCA show in Hershey last Wednesday and Thursday. Even though we are not in the market for a new RV in the near future, I really wanted to test drive a UFO so we jumped at the chance to sign up for a time slot for Thursday. Unfortunately, when we got to the Workhorse booth at our scheduled time, we found out they only had one test unit and it was down for repairs. I'm not really clear on what the problem was, but they said the test motorhome probably wouldn't be ready until the next day. Since we were planning to leave that afternoon, we had to pass on trying to reschedule. Needless to say, I was very disappointed! Oh well, I know things sometimes happen that are beyond our control, but it's too bad they only had one test coach. Maybe some other member(s) managed to get a test drive and can report back to the rest of us. We will try again at the Tampa show in January since we will be in FL at that time.

On the plus side, I was able to view a number of UFO motorhomes on display.

Winnebago/Itasca is building their two Destination/Latitude floorplans on both the UFO and on the Freightliner XC chassis. From what I saw, prices for the FL are only about $1100 higher than the UFO. If I really wanted a Destination or Latitude, the UFO would be a hard sell for me since it looks like I could get a diesel with air brakes and air bag suspension for a small increase in price.

Georgie Boy has one floorplan in the Cruise Master line and it is only offered on the UFO. It has a very interesting full-wall slide layout.

The Forest River Georgetown has one or two floorplans on the UFO and several floorplans in the same line that are front-engine gassers. Most, if not all, the front-engine gassers on display were on Fords.

Monaco/Holiday Rambler is building two floorplans of the LaPalma/Vacationer on the UFO. They have several other floorplans in the same line on their own Roadmaster chassis. The Roadmaster looks to be a no-frills diesel pusher chassis with only 22,000 lb GVWR and a 325 hp "low torque" (their words) Cummins diesel. The CCC ratings I saw for the Roadmaster chassis units ran from under 400 lbs to an only slightly less dismal 685 lbs. The UFOs were much better at over 3000 lbs.

Without the drive line and exhaust running down the center of the frame, I was hoping someone would be building huge basement storage areas like the diesel pushers have, but I didn't see any like that. All the UFO motorhomes I saw had decent basement storage, but they weren't much better than most current front-engine motorhomes.

Prices of all the UFO motorhomes on display ranged from about $150k to $180K, depending on the manufacturer and depending on options. I'm happy to report, where I could find the CCC ratings, they were very respectable at over 3000 lbs. in spite of the fact that the UFO motorhomes were pretty much all 38 or 39 feet and had multiple slides (except the Cruise Master with its one full-wall slide).

Oh BTW, Workhorse says more manufacturers will be announcing "shortly" that they will be building on the UFO.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">prices for the FL are only about $1100 higher than the UFO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
PAZ: I'm sorry you were disappointed when the test drive was cancelled, I would have been also. I'm even more sorry that I didn't get the chance to meet you in person as I was there under the tent representing the WCMC and talking with owners. Whenever you guys come to events like Hershey please ask if there is an ambassador present because we really enjoy meeting other iRV2.com members.

As for the demo coach, I also didn't get a clear understanding of what the problem was. The Destination 39W was a brand new unit delivered to Workhorse by Winnebago at the show. During the drives on Wednesday a problem developed that was deemed to be correctable, but it took most of Thursday to get it done. Again, sorry your time slot was cancelled.

Regarding the price difference quoted above, are you sure there isn't a "0" missing?? The reason I ask is that there are two 39W Destination "2008" models shown on the Lazy Days website, one UFO and one FCCC. The MSRP showwn are $178,050 and $194,087 respectively. That's a difference of $16,037.00...obviously a lot more than $1100. Only explaination I can offer is the huge increase that hit all the diesels due to the 2007 emmision equipment that requires USLD fuel. IF the show price difference really was $1100.00, then perhaps the FCCC unit being compared was a remaining pre-2007 emmisions chassis. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A dealer at the Good Sam rally in Harrington, DE showed me a difference close to 17,000 on his invoices last week. I had heard prices were closer, but his list and the MSRPs' in the coaches confirmed the difference. Options made some difference in the price spread.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #5

Why do you think air brakes are worth $1100? The air bag suspension would be a good deal.

Remember the XC chassis still has drum brakes. When you get them a bit hot, they will smell & smoke forever. Stick with modern technology--disks!!! AND if something happens to your air pressure, you have the same thing as the AutoPark Brake lockup---coming to a screeching stop, because the air pressure holds the brakes off, less than 60-80lbs and the brakes are on. Look at all the dual tire skid marks on the roads.

been there, done that!!
ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well we road tested the ufo on friday. Great ride , very very flat cornering(2 thunbs up).Noise what noise very quiet.Turning radius about the width 3 parking spaces. Brakes a very differnt feel than my 03 w-20 But strong feel. Will take alittle getting use to. Big diplay meter assy. Nice big steering wheel you can read speedo. One downside big display read Auto brake failure. Workhores rep said no problem just a sensor problem this ok to drive. So many big plus only one small problem or is it. Frank
Old 09-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">prices for the FL are only about $1100 higher than the UFO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Regarding the price difference quoted above, are you sure there isn't a "0" missing?? The reason I ask is that there are two 39W Destination "2008" models shown on the Lazy Days website, one UFO and one FCCC. The MSRP shown are $178,050 and $194,087 respectively. That's a difference of $16,037.00...obviously a lot more than $1100. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ed, you are absolutely correct. The price difference is more like $16k as you say. In checking my notes, I see I inadvertently compared the difference between a 37W Itasca and a 37W Winnebago, both FL instead of one a FL and the other a UFO. Thanks for setting me straight. That makes a lot more sense and makes the UFO much more attractive.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rondi:
AND if something happens to your air pressure, you have the same thing as the AutoPark Brake lockup---coming to a screeching stop, because the air pressure holds the brakes off, less than 60-80lbs and the brakes are on. Look at all the dual tire skid marks on the roads.
been there, done that!!
ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure where you got you info but If you lose air pressure in an air brake system you will NOT come to a screeching stop. It will bring you to a rapid rolling stop but will not lock up your brakes until you come to a stop. Also if an air brake system does set the rear brakes at 60 to 80 lbs. it needs to be readjusted. The brakes should only set up if the pressure drops below 45 lbs.

2003 35-E Bounder W-22
rvjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> One downside big display read Auto brake failure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The beat goes on
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rondi:
Why do you think air brakes are worth $1100? The air bag suspension would be a good deal.

Remember the XC chassis still has drum brakes. When you get them a bit hot, they will smell & smoke forever. Stick with modern technology--disks!!! AND if something happens to your air pressure, you have the same thing as the AutoPark Brake lockup---coming to a screeching stop, because the air pressure holds the brakes off, less than 60-80lbs and the brakes are on. Look at all the dual tire skid marks on the roads.

been there, done that!!
ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did not say I thought air brakes were worth $1100. I said "it looks like I could get a diesel with air brakes and air bag suspension for a small increase in price." At any rate, it turns out this was incorrect and the price difference isn't "small" but more like $16,000. See the post by edgray and my follow-up post. However, if I could get a diesel for $1100, I would jump at the chance.

BTW, the current XC Chassis Brochure on the Freightliner web page states the front brakes are discs.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ringpinger:
Well we road tested the ufo on friday. Great ride , very very flat cornering(2 thunbs up).Noise what noise very quiet.Turning radius about the width 3 parking spaces. Brakes a very differnt feel than my 03 w-20 But strong feel. Will take alittle getting use to. Big diplay meter assy. Nice big steering wheel you can read speedo. One downside big display read Auto brake failure. Workhores rep said no problem just a sensor problem this ok to drive. So many big plus only one small problem or is it. Frank </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ringpinger, thanks for the report on the UFO. I was hoping another iRV2 member got a chance to test drive and would report their impressions. Sounds like it will be pleasant to drive, especially for a long haul. I am looking forward to giving it another try in Tampa in January.

Maybe the auto brake failure readout had something to do with the problem they were having on Thursday. You should be able to clear error messages by briefly pressing the trip button, but maybe auto brake failure is a serious fault that can't be cleared that way.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you didn't get a chance to test drive at Hershey, the workhorse rep said test drives would be available at the Oct rally in Urbanna. I believe he said it would be the WBO model.

Ed - sorry we missed you. We were there Thr to Sat. See you in Urbanna. BTW, any word on Newmar using the UFO?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #13

Yes air brakes have drums and cost more initally but the positive locking of the spring brakes in an emergancy and parking of the unit is an advantage.disc brakes may stop better but when you need to replace rotors and pads just hang on to your wallet.compare the cost of rotors to drums disc pads to shoes,I worked at a heavy truck dealer and the discs were always more expensive usually due to rotor damage
doug jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the workhorse rep said test drives would be available at the Oct rally in Urbanna. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Been there, Done that!

On the Newmar UFO question: I looks like they will not offer a UFO based coach for their 2008 model year, which is almost half "done".

Right now, I'm waiting to see what(if anything) is announced at Louisville in November. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote