Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
UFO Front Anti-Sway Bars

Has anybody installed Anti-Sway bars on the front suspension of a UFO gas chassis ???

I have not been able to find anyone that makes one, and I can't get any response from

Roadmaster about a custom one. Any ideas ???
oldskibum71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Where are you located? If you can make it to our shop we can set you up!

We actually custom installed the first wide track P32 rear anti sway bar just this year in Quartzsite and the resources at our shop are a whole lot better than in the dust bowl!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskibum71 View Post
Roadmaster about a custom one. Any ideas ???
While working an RV Show in Tampa, I saw the Safe-T-Plus guy under the rig (UFO) measuring the chassis. I expect that there are track bar solutions out there like Jon said. There probably isn't a suspension enhancement component or solution applied that has not been developed or installed by Brazels RV Performance.

What are the dynamics that you are attempting to control with a track bar? I'm only asking because knowing the situation as it exists helps better determine what you actually need.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Mike I think he is reffering to an Anti Sway bar, not a Track bar...
Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazels RV Performance View Post
Mike I think he is referring to an Anti Sway bar, not a Track bar...
Hi Mike, Is there a front anti sway bar for the UFO? Helwig? Maybe a better shock package is in order what would you think?

Still waiting to hear from Oldskibum71 about what it is exactly he's trying to fix.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I recall, UFO chassis has some other feature that was supposed to take the place of anti-sway bar. Can't recall what it was called, all I can say is that the UFO gas chassis MH I drove had no body roll. Whateve they called it, it worked.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
As I recall, UFO chassis has some other feature that was supposed to take the place of anti-sway bar. Can't recall what it was called, all I can say is that the UFO gas chassis MH I drove had no body roll. Whatever they called it, it worked.
I have given dozens of people test drives in the UFO and I have driven 5 different models coaches equipped with the UFO chassis. The device that you are referring to is call a "Torque Box". It is mounted directly above and slightly forward of the rear axle housing. Attached squarely on 4 corners, the box allows for movement through the pitch axis however it does not allow for movement along the roll axis. The differential is located and centerred via trailing arms which does not allow for a great amount of movement along the yaw axis. This unique RV chassis is sprung using coil springs on the rear axle and Hendrickson mono-leaf springs on the front axle. Bilstein shock absorbers provide the suspension damping.

A Torque Box is also used on the Spartan Chassis as well.

In test drives by owners, some of them have wanted to crank in more front end damping. TTT made a shock absorber damper using a Monroe device as of 3 years ago however I have not seen where there has been a rush for this type of product. The perceived need therefore is not widely on the minds of owners and in opinion not required.

On this board, owners have shared that their ride and handling is improved using Koni FSD shock absorbers.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My ufo handles great. I have not seen a need for a front sway bar. My koni fsd shocks solved the pogo stick front end motion after hitting a big bump. The koni fsd has superior rebound control over the bilstein IMHO. I am however installing a steersafe Steer Safe today to help keep it straight down the road especially in the event of a tire blow out. Even big winds I get very little sway. Greg
Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs2320 View Post
My ufo handles great. I have not seen a need for a front sway bar. My Koni FSD shocks solved the pogo stick front end motion after hitting a big bump. The Koni FSD has superior rebound control over the Bilstein IMHO. I am however installing a Steer Safe today to help keep it straight down the road especially in the event of a tire blow out. Even big winds I get very little sway.
Greg, Of the 3 solutions that offer steering dampening the Safe-T-Plus, the Tru-Center and the Steer Safe are the available solutions that we see on motorhomes, my least favorite of these devices is the Steer Safe for personal reasons. What I observed in real time what that there were issues with the device on certain lifts which required the device being removed. Steer Safe's entire operational components are exposed to the environment and I can't see this as being a long term benefit.

The UFO has an 2 section steering shaft coupled by a 90 connection to the steering box. The way this was explained to me is that the 90 connection assists in damping out excessive road steering input. (rut tracking)

I would opt for a centering device that gave me the most amount of centering force if I were going to opt for this type of device on the UFO. SS is a little lean on centering force.

About relying on any type of steering damper in the event of a blowout, I would offer that although the benefit of centering may help, the technique to control a vehicle is better defined in the Michelin video in regard to tire blowout. In other words don't rely so much on a device to mitigate a tire blowout rather depend on knowledge and technique to help bring your vehicle to a safe controlled stop.

I hope your install goes well today and it yields the results you are looking for.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Greg, Of the 3 solutions that offer steering dampening the Safe-T-Plus, the Tru-Center and the Steer Safe are the available solutions that we see on motorhomes, my least favorite of these devices is the Steer Safe for personal reasons. What I observed in real time what that there were issues with the device on certain lifts which required the device being removed. Steer Safe's entire operational components are exposed to the environment and I can't see this as being a long term benefit.

The UFO has an 2 section steering shaft coupled by a 90 connection to the steering box. The way this was explained to me is that the 90 connection assists in damping out excessive road steering input. (rut tracking)

I would opt for a centering device that gave me the most amount of centering force if I were going to opt for this type of device on the UFO. SS is a little lean on centering force.

About relying on any type of steering damper in the event of a blowout, I would offer that although the benefit of centering may help, the technique to control a vehicle is better defined in the Michelin video in regard to tire blowout. In other words don't rely so much on a device to mitigate a tire blowout rather depend on knowledge and technique to help bring your vehicle to a safe controlled stop.

I hope your install goes well today and it yields the results you are looking for.
Thanks. I know the different opinions on the devices but have read alot of good reviews on the steersafe and it is more affordable and and easy install. Yes my primary approach to the blowout danger is to use the Michelin video techniques. I got the steersafe as added insurance. Thanks also for the info on the ufo steering design as a road force dampening assistance. Greg
Old 02-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Being the proud owner of a Steer Safe unit (that was a gift, and never looking a gift horse in the mouth), the SS unit does an excellent job ON A LIGHT WEIGHT CHASSIS which mine is. It most likely will be able to handle a heavier unit, and if you live/or drive in an area where chemicals are applied for road maintenance, you probably should make a special effort to keep it clean as it is exposed to the elements. If I owned a UFO gasser I think I would opt for the Tru Center from Blue Ox. The UFO handles extremely well but in heavy winds having the ability to adjust it from your seat while driving is a nice function to have.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Jon !
I am located in SoCal near Riverside. I know Redlands does some of this work and installs your Ultrapower, which I intend to get done soon. As far as a ANTI-SWAY bar
goes, I have found nothing, and, as I said, Roadmaster doesn't answer my inquiries.
I'm not sure what the P32 chassis is but mine is an R-26 UFO gas pusher.

I am planning to make a trip this summer to Port Angeles and will stop at your location on the way so you can advise me further on improving the UFO chassis.

Thanks ! Rick Fliedner
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Mike !

I appreciate all the info that you provide on Workhorse chassis. I am looking for a front ANTI-SWAY bar for the UFO chassis. I have a 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Because it's a
fairly tall coach, it tends to rock side to side in side winds and mountain roads as well as
driveways. The rear torque box does a pretty good jobIf of controlling it but there is
nothing up front on the Hendricksen suspension to control the roll. Even though they
claim it has "anti-sway properties" , I would like a little more control. I have Koni FSD's on
order for the front, and after I install them, I will be better able to tell if I need a sway bar.
I'm always looking for ways to improve all road manners of the coach and am looking for
ideas. After the shocks, I will re-adjust the basement weight to get as much forward as
I can, check the tire pressures and give it a try. I'll let you know how it responds.

Thanks, Oldskibum71
Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskibum71 View Post
I can, check the tire pressures and give it a try. I'll let you know how it responds.
Oldskibum71, Cool!