Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UFO Fuel Pump Failure

My fuel pump was replaced in April of this year and now I am told it has failed again. I had driven about 500 miles total when the motor just shut off. It was towed to a shop on May 29 and was there 3 weeks before it was moved to a Workhorse service center 2 weeks ago. They thought the motor problem was fixed but then the parking brake wouldn't activate.

Are failures of new pumps common? It was bought from Workhorse so it is not a "clone".

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #2

Hi Wayne:
Sorry about your pump issue; I guess even a new part CAN be defective. I'm not sure how the fuel pump could have any affect on your WABCO parking brake not "applying", and can't help but wonder if it was reconnected properly after being disconnected for towing. Perhaps a connector pin was damaged, or a wire pulled loose ??? Please let us know what they find. Happy 4th to you and Roberta.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the parking brake was probably reconnected wrong. The second shop said they found some wiring issues with the parking brake. Not sure why the wiring would have been touched?

Happy 4th to you also.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
What I don't understand is the time frame your encountering?

Is there any warranty on the pump? I know labor is usually not included on warranty but those pumps are highly expensive.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The original shop has a 1 year, 12000 miles parts and labor warranty thru Napa but there are no RV repair shops in the Napa network locally. There was a problem with the fuel line to the generator that they (the original shop) covered thru a local truck and RV garage. The fuel pump was almost $600, I would expect Workhorse to exchange it but labor may be a battle.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #6

Dang man. So sorry to hear of your troubles.

I'm just about to spring for a new pump just to have in the coach at all times. I've had my fuel tank out twice since March so in a bind I could probably do it with the tools I have on board.

That said, I had to be towed a few weeks back. It was quick and painless. Being towed is something I've dreaded for a long time. Having AAA made the experience much more tolerable. Based on my recent towing experience I would probably just tow to the closest shop and talk the mechanic into dropping the tank.

I hate the thought of carrying around a $600 fuel pump that I may never need but I hate being unprepared for the next challenge.

Hope they get you on the road soon.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been towed 5 times in 11 years, 3 times since January. Every tow has been for a different issue before this so I would have to carry a few very expensive parts and probably wouldn't have the one needed. The biggest problem is the long waiting for the tow truck to arrive.

We have cancelled 3 outings so far and hoping not to cancel anymore now that they seem to have found (hopefully) the cause of the original problem. The parking brake problem has me stumped as it was working fine before the tow.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #8

The questions I would have are:

1. What was/is the fuel pressure reading? If the shop wants to replace the fuel pump I’m sure they checked the fuel pressure and power going to the pump. If the fuel pump was just replaced 500 miles ago maybe a connection or ground came undone?

2. When you disconnect the SAHR (Brake) there are no wires, you only disconnect the SAHR cable. Maybe when they reconnected the SAHR they didn’t adjusted cable correctly and it won’t release.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by olskool4x4 View Post
The questions I would have are:

1. What was/is the fuel pressure reading? If the shop wants to replace the fuel pump I’m sure they checked the fuel pressure and power going to the pump. If the fuel pump was just replaced 500 miles ago maybe a connection or ground came undone?

2. When you disconnect the SAHR (Brake) there are no wires, you only disconnect the SAHR cable. Maybe when they reconnected the SAHR they didn’t adjusted cable correctly and it won’t release.
1.The banged on the bottom of the tank and got it to work. Loose wires? The pump itself? They are dropping the tank to check further.
2. The parking brake won't set so it doesn't work. They drove it to the second shop so the fuel pump worked and the parking brake was released. They moved it twice before the fuel pump quit working. They have to chock the wheels now to keep it from rolling.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom
Why not install an external fuel pump using the extra tank connections on the unused side of the tank. I've done this as a permanent addition for when the in tank pump fails again. The ext. pump has been in for 3 years now and is just waiting to be used. The pump is $100 or less and mounts to the cross member in front of the tank. A separate fuel pickup leads to a new filter and to the new pump. I used 2 check valves to isolate each pump and then TEEed them together just before the existing filter. The pump and filter is very accessible and easy to replace on the road. And is immediately available to switch on when needed. This would cost far less then $600.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
Tom
Why not install an external fuel pump using the extra tank connections on the unused side of the tank. I've done this as a permanent addition for when the in tank pump fails again. The ext. pump has been in for 3 years now and is just waiting to be used. The pump is $100 or less and mounts to the cross member in front of the tank. A separate fuel pickup leads to a new filter and to the new pump. I used 2 check valves to isolate each pump and then TEEed them together just before the existing filter. The pump and filter is very accessible and easy to replace on the road. And is immediately available to switch on when needed. This would cost far less then $600.

Ive been thinking of doing just that. On the very bottom front center of my tank is a 1/2” tap that I could pick up fuel for an aux pump. I dont like the idea of sucking right off the bottom but with a filter and water separator it could work just fine.

I also thought about connecting into the generator pick up line as an emergency fix. There are drawbacks of course but it could work to get me off the side of the road and to a shop or to a place where i could make a more permanent fix.

Ive built a few off road jeeps over the years and they need about 60psi of fuel pressure too. There are several fuel pump/regulator combos out there that meet those parameters easily. Some have return lines to the tank and some dont. For about $100 in pump and parts it wouldnt be that hard to come up with a good plan and get set up for the unfortunate time when the fuel pump decides to take a dump.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Kevin, who does a lot of video has made a video of fuel pump bypass, its on his W24 but can work on other chassis as well

Old 07-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same idea except mine was made permanent. When the in tank pump fails, the external pump will become main pump.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They removed the pump and it is bad. A new one is on it's way.

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, ufo