Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a couple of pics of my gasser!

-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Super looking Diesel Gramps ya I know how many times have you been asked.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Gramps, Really nice, looks great!!!!! Where did you get the "UFO Has Landed banner?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigA:
Gramps, Really nice, looks great!!!!! Where did you get the "UFO Has Landed banner?
It was given to me at the Workhorse Chassis Owners Club rally at Mrytle Beach last Oct, where the top picture was taken. Anytime I attend a rally, the banner goes up.

The bottom pic was taken a couple of weeks ago at Ft Wilderness.

007, When we pull into a camp ground people will visit our site and remark how funny our diesel sounds. They are quite shocked when I tell them that it's a gas coach.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:25 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gramps, that is a very handsome Holiday Rambler "UFO". I wished they still made them. Bags.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Bagman57:
Gramps, that is a very handsome Holiday Rambler "UFO". I wished they still made them. Bags.
I wish they did too. If I had the money I would buy a second one and give it to my daughter. I know where there are two new ones still on the lot.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
vh

Gramps
I'm going down to Texas next week to check out the Georgie Boy on the UFO chassis. It sounds like what I'm looking for but I was curious about air noise around the entry door. I've heard that can be a problem with the forward door. I checked with a local (Chicago land ) dealer about the Winnebago on the UFO chassis and they did not have one in stock and talked like they were extremely rare and probably would not get one in. The salesman brought up the air noise issue as well as cooling a gas engine in a rear configuration. I'm interested in your experience so far. I have read about the FCA issue and am still unsure what vin numbers or model years are that might be suspect.
vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The wind noise really has more to do with the house than it does the chassis. All coaches get wind noise. You might hear less with the Winnie because it is a mid door coach. For me, it is hearing everything else that takes some getting used to. The engine is so quiet, that you hear stuff moving in the cabinets, blinds rattling. My coach had some manual door awning whistling that bugged me but I fixed that by putting foam pipe insulation inside the arms. I also know that you can buffer wind noise by adding extra rubber molding around the door.
Cooling a rear gas. That was a problem with the first rear gassers years ago. Workhorse actually had the opposite problem when they were testing the engine out in Death Valley. It ran too cool and lost efficiency. They had to tweak it to run a bit hotter. So heat is not a problem under normal circumstances anymore than a front gasser..

The FCA issue. That is still with us, but understand it is very rare and is a small percentage of failures compared to the number of coaches out there. Forest River has 60 UFOs on the road and they are aware of one failure according to a factory rep I talked to. Monaco built 14 and one failure. Winne has sold the most UFOs, a lot more than anyone else, and I am aware of two or three failures. The number of posters here who have had failures is 5 and they are included in the numbers I mentioned. All have been taken care of under warranty by Workhorse and all still love their coaches.I think they will confirm that to you.

We have discovered some common circumstances when most of these failures took place.
Hot day, over 90 degrees.
The coach was being driven at high rpms usually going up or down hill using the engine to brake. Also it seems that the coaches that had the bad FCA also were getting low gas mileage. Below 7 and sometimes 6 mpg. Once the FCA was changed their mileage went up to 7.2 to 7.5. I have not had an FCA problem and I get 7.2 to 7.8 mpg (I drive like a grandpa ), so I suspect that because of the amount of engery the FCA uses when running all the time that I don't have a defective one.

I cannot tell you a definitive way to determine what years, or models may have a defective FCA,
I can tell you this, I bought mine knowing as much as anyone else does and don't regret it. The chassis is really good, fun to drive, stops on a quarter and doesn't sway, so the risk if there is one, is worth it to me.

I have kept up with the dealers who presently have UFOs in stock, which includes Winnies, GBs, and Holiday Ramblers/Monacos. The GB is a really nice coach. Holiday World in Houston has a LaPalma which is the Monaco version of my coach. I belive Recreation World in Melbourne Fla (where my daughter lives) has a few 09 Cruise Master UFOs on their lot. Tom Johnson's camping center in NC has a Winnie Adventurer Ltd UFO. But it really comes down to price and floorplan like any other coach so I wish you well in finding the coach that suits you the best. If you need any other info feel free to write, of if you like, you can call me.

Gramps
Old 02-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
vh

Thanks for the great reply. I can't wait to drive one.

VH
Old 02-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
VH:

Bring your checkbook as you will not be disappointed.

In all seriousness, I can only support what Gramps has said --- this is one great coach

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:53 AM   #11
vh

Just got back from Texas where I looked at three new 2008 Georgie Boys on the UFO chassis. There were many nice features, but the deal killer was you were not able to open the refrigerator door with the slide in. Could not believe the poor design. There is a full length single slide with carpet on it. When you bring the slide in the carpet hits the foot of the bed and bunches up making that end of the bed almost impassable. On one of the RVs the shower door would not close and on another the front bathroom door would not close and latch. I never drove it. I didn't want to like the performance and get it in spite of the problems. I haven't rulled the UFO out and am still fascinated by the concept but they are so few and far between it is difficult to even find one. The Georgie Boys were selling for $90900 which seemed to be a good price but not with the shortcommings. I noticed several used 2009 Georgie Boys in Florida. Must be a reason for used rv's 3 months into the model year.........not the UFO chassis, but the floorplan.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by vh:
Just got back from Texas where I looked at three new 2008 Georgie Boys on the UFO chassis.
vh, See if you can locate a Winnebago Adventurer Limited and take a look at that rig.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote