Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve now all you have to do is figure out how your going to get the Trek box on your new UFO.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
2. the power was more then adequate for this coach, a GEORGETOWN 36', I'd swear it had an ultrapower kit! 3.the steering was spot on, no drift at all, great feed back, and the wheel cut had it doing donuts in a parking lot. without a doubt folks this IS the chassis of the future, and it will eat the FREDs lunch in any comparison you want to compare. the 8.1 out ran the cummins on the same grades, and would out accelerate it to. Both chassis were in very similar coachs, imagine that! I see no need for a diesel in this chassis unless your just looking for bragging rights, me I'd save the money and put it in the gas tank. Oh one thing that was very impressive about the FRED was the claimed 12mpg, that should be about 50% more then the 8.1. but that's to be seen. IMHO. WCC UFO

PS: for all you doubting Thomas's out there, the rear floor after a day of test drives was absolutly cool, not a sign of engine heat anywhere.

PSS: yes i'm keeping the gas card, t shirt and the freightliner straw hat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The performance can be attributed to the low rearend ratio. Have you driven a W24 or W25.5?? If so, how does the UFO compare to a W24 or W25.5??

Do you have pricing on the FRED and the UFO Georgetown??

Does anyone know the other manufacturers that are building on the UFO??

Is Workhorse shipping the UFO chassis??

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The performance can be attributed to the low rear end ratio. Have you driven a W24 or W25.5?? If so, how does the UFO compare to a W24 or W25.5?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The UFO is unique because of the very short drive train components. That said, I like driving my W22 "still" so trying to compare a REG to a FEG is going to be difficult. The W25.5 has a pretty tall gear in it and so does the 24. The UFO is only .03 lower than a W25 so the gearing difference is imperceptible.

Where the UFO will make a difference is that the driveshaft is only 3 feet long or so. This will equate to practically 0 HP loss in the drivetrain.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you have pricing on the FRED and the UFO Georgetown?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't believe that Forest River is building on a FRED. Pricing for the UFO Georgetown RE maybe in the $140s but don't quote me.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone know the other manufacturers that are building on the UFO?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There are several and you will hear all about it no later than the RVIA Show in late November.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is Workhorse shipping the UFO chassis?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes they are.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I should have said "most" of the performance increase is attributable to the lower rear end ratio.

I know Georgetown does not build on the FRED chassis. Since Steve stated he'd use the money he saved between the cost of a FRED and the UFO this implied that he had a source on the pricing of vehicles built on both chassis.

I'll "guess" that no manufacturer will sell a UFO cheaper than their W24 or W25.5. Coaches built on these two W chassis are &gt;$160,000, and are quickly approaching $200k MSRP. I hope you are correct in that the UFO chassis will be less than a W24 or W25.5 but IMHO it will not be. Hopefully, we'll soon know the facts.

BTW, Georgetown does not build on the W24 or W25.5 chassis.

Two more question. Did the UFO test drive coach have the front door in the passenger area?? Did the test drive coach have a gasoline fueled generator mounted in the front on a slide out??

Also, I hope a coach on the UFO chassis is priced below an entry level DP in comparable trim levels.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I'll "guess" that no manufacturer will sell a UFO cheaper than their W24 or W25.5. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No that's not the case. there is an upcharge to the UFO over the front engine chassis. Undetermined however is the pricing that we'll see for upscale coaches.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Two more question. Did the UFO test drive coach have the front door in the passenger area?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No it had a side entry door however there is plenty of room for an OEM to design in a front entry door. it'll be indistinguishable from an RDP.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Did the test drive coach have a gasoline fueled generator mounted in the front on a slide out?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The test coach had a front mounted generator.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
If Workhorse sells the UFO chassis for less than the W24 and W25.5 the UFO will be Workhorse's lowest cost 30,000# GCWR chassis. Should make a strong selling point and coach manufacturers would almost have to use it on pricing alone.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #21

If Workhorse sells the UFO chassis for less than the W24 and W25.5 the UFO will be Workhorse's lowest cost 30,000# GCWR chassis. Should make a strong selling point and coach manufacturers would almost have to use it on pricing alone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Won't happen...The UFO is going to be AT LEAST $4,000 more than the W-24 in any shape or form.

And by the way...the W-24 is now $6,300 more than the W-22...not worth the extra GVWR in my opinion...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wonder what opportunities if any the coach makers will have to cut cost of building on the new platform. Particularly if a RDP and a RGP share the same assembly lines, design time, materials, and processes. And would they pass on the savings?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm extremely interested in the new Workhorse Custom Chassis "UFO". At first I felt the Freightliner "FRED" was the way to go for those that don't want to spend a lot of money, but now I'm convinced that the features of the "UFO" is exactly what I am looking for. Even if you go with the 8.1 Vortec, you still get a 100 gal. gas tank vs the std. 75 gal tank offered on the Ford F-53 and the Workhorse W series chassis. Bagman57.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Bagman57 to irv2
Good points you posted thanks for joining in and good luck in your hunt for a new MH.
Enjoy the forums and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #25

BAGMAN57: WELCOME to iRV2.com We are glad to have you join our merry band of RV enthuasists! I look forward to more of your informed posts. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
And by the way...the W-24 is now $6,300 more than the W-22...not worth the extra GVWR in my opinion... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You are paying for a lot of stuff on a W24 that just doesn't come standard on a W22.

2000 Series Transmission
Quadraulic Brakes
Additional Frame Crossmember
Higher Final Drive Gearing
30,000 GCWR
Uprated Front Springs
Uprated Rear Springs
Able to jump tall buildings in a single bound!

I think it's worth it if that's where you need to be GVW wise. There's certainly is no good reason to spend money for nothing that for sure.

If you want to have a greater CCC, the W24 is the preferred solution for vehicles like a Mountian Aire gas as one example. 8 or more 2007 Winnebago Industry coaches are only available on a W24s.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #27

Posted by FrontRangeRVer:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And by the way...the W-24 is now $6,300 more than the W-22 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can this be? There only minor differences in the axle ratings and other suspension components. Yes, I know the tranny is a 2100 in place of the 1000 series, and that requires a hydralic parrking brake, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Where did you find the price difference quoted above? ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The brakes on a W24 are huge and the same as on the UFO.