Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UFO Turn Signal Flasher Location?

Any UFO owners know where the turn signal flasher is located? I have looked in all of my manuals and can't find anything.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I may be wrong but it's possible that it actually does not have one and it runs the function through the WISE system. I'll try to get you a more definitive answer...
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanx Jon. I had 2 rear bulbs burn out so I started looking at LED's. They supposedly need a different flasher, so I started trying to locate the existing one.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

You could try it but if it is ran through the body computer like I think it is, it uses amperage draw to notify the driver if a bulb has burnt out, so it would take some sort of reprogramming in order to tell the body computer you are running LED with lower draw or else it would always say they were burnt out.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wondered how it knew my bulbs were burnt out. I looked at the diagrams in my owners manual and saw no mention of a flasher. I guess I could try a LED bulb and see what happens.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced my tail, brake lights with LEDs and never even thought about the low amp draw might mess up the turn signals, but they have worked perfect for 3 or more years now. The other bulbs were burning out 2 or 3 times a year before I went to LED.
I don't have an indicator that lets me know they are not working though.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
I replaced my tail, brake lights with LEDs and never even thought about the low amp draw might mess up the turn signals, but they have worked perfect for 3 or more years now. The other bulbs were burning out 2 or 3 times a year before I went to LED.
I don't have an indicator that lets me know they are not working though.
max, Do you have a type and model number that you used?

I am concerned about amperage draw and how LEDs affect the OE flasher.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
I'll try to get you a more definitive answer...
Basically I expect the answer will address how the driver hears the clicking of the direction indicator and whether or not that sound is triggered by a relay (flasher) type device. Cool!

We have not even begun to scratch the surface in regard to speaking about the WISE.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is what started my question:

Turn signal issues with LED bulbs
LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. Also, with stock flasher units, the turn signals may flash faster than normal (Hyper-Flash). These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.

We offer some LED Flashers in our Tail/Brake Turn Signal Bulb category but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.

Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.

Dash indicators reporting burnt out bulbs
LED bulbs may cause some newer vehicles to indicate a bulb is burnt out (because of their low power consumption). Some cars indicate this by increasing the flash rate of the turn signals, some turn on a bad bulb indicator. The only fix for this is to install Load Resistors across the bulbs that are being indicated as bad. Some vehicles will also disable the cruise control system if a brake light bulb is being indicated as bad, the installation of Load Resistors will also solve this problem.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
This is what started my question:
Thanks for all the content you just provided.

I hope that we'll get to the bottom of this when we hear from Jon again about the WISE system and the lack (or not) of a flasher unit.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
max, Do you have a type and model number that you used?

I am concerned about amperage draw and how LEDs affect the OE flasher.
I don't, but I am lucky, or unlucky that I have an entry level MH. My tail/ brake lights are not fancy, they are exactly the same as almost all OTR trucks and trailers have. A 4" round sealed unit in which the individual bulbs are not replaceable but the entire lense/ bulb assembly is available at all truck stops.
I found the LED units at a Kenworth dealer/ shop on display in a garbage can for $10 each. About $3 more than the regular incandescent ones.
I almost bought the LED available at HFT when they were on sale for $16.99 each, I was amazed that Kenworth could beat HFT, especially by that much.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
I don't, but I am lucky, or unlucky that I have an entry level MH. My tail/ brake lights are not fancy, they are exactly the same as almost all OTR trucks and trailers have. A 4" round sealed unit in which the individual bulbs are not replaceable..
I have seen those units on other motorhomes and they sure are bright!

My tail lights are some what more artistic but I like the type of lights you have, plain Jane and "Yes" you can see them.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found a 4 pack of 1157 LED bulbs (red) on EBAY for $17 with free shipping. I figured at that price I can try them and see if they work or not, so I ordered them and will report back after they arrive and I give them a try.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
You could try it but if it is ran through the body computer like I think it is, it uses amperage draw to notify the driver if a bulb has burnt out, so it would take some sort of reprogramming in order to tell the body computer you are running LED with lower draw or else it would always say they were burnt out.
My LED bulbs arrived today and they work fine but it does show that the bulbs are burned out. I wonder if the computer can be reprogrammed or if there is some other option?