Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #1

If someone wants to give a good description of "The Ultrapower" I will post it here.
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #2

If someone wants to give a good description of "The Ultrapower" I will post it here.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your the first poster of the new 100,000 view thread for ULTRA POWER, "LeeB" and the closer of the previous one CONGRATULATIONS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
First of all we should define exactly what a "Butt Dyno" is.

Here we go and we're off ......
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

DriVer,

Why is the UltraPower Evaluation post closed?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
DriVer,

Why is the UltraPower Evaluation post closed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same question? that means it will keep falling to the bottom of the list where it value will be lost, how about at least making it a permanent fixture at the top?
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

You Totally Rock Bob!!!!!

Make it permanent DriVer....are ya feelin' the pressure Man!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YosemiteBobR:
Same question? that means it will keep falling to the bottom of the list where it value will be lost, how about at least making it a permanent fixture at the top? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I can feature the thread for a ~month~ and that should work. I am going to say without hesitation that the "Part 2" thread will be just as successful as the original. The original is so long that some of the information in the thread is obsolete has been superseded.

Having opened this new thread it will present the supplier with the opportunity to present the most current information and the participants with the opportunity to obtain the most current information about the topic in a concise space.

Now if you need any materials from the old thread you can copy them and post them in the "Part 2" thread if needed.

I'm sure that just like a lot of my work here over the years that has fallen off the radar screen that the original thread will become part of our history and the new content will continue to provide great information about these exciting products.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #9

quote:
Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
WHo here is going to Stockton's Escapee's rally?? I have some UltraPower hat to pass out,Keith from Redlands will be down there as well & he's bringing the BEER!Come by and say Hi!

My wife and I will be there on the 21st around 10ish. Mike will I be able to show her around? I want to show her "The Red Hat" Ladies and all the vendors. I was blown away at Chico last year... I'll call you around 9am Sat Morning

Copy and Paste is a wonderful thing....

DriVer why do we no longer have the option to EDIT?????
Old 04-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeeB:
DriVer why do we no longer have the option to EDIT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Because the thread is closed.

I often just click drag and copy right off the screen without going to edit mode.

Like this: Copy and Paste is a wonderful thing....
Old 04-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #11

I was talking about editing This thread. I know the other one is closed... I don't have the little pencil with the eraser on it in the bottom right hand corner...
Old 04-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had my upgrade done last May at Brazel's - ECM + plugs (no CAI). Since then I've driven about 10,000 miles. While I'll admit that there are times where I feel the additional power, there are also many more times where it doesn't seem to help. And my gas mileage is exactly the same as before - 6.95 mpg.
As far as the mileage goes - I also had a lot of suspension work done at Brazel's, and those big parts added quite a bit of weight (I was consistently around 19,000 lbs before; now I'm consistently around 20,000 lbs). It's also quite likely that, because the handling is much better, that I'm driving a little faster than before - maybe 2-3 mph faster. So, between the additional weight and the faster speed, it's possible that I've offset the mpg gains from the reprogramming.
As far as power goes, I can point to a number of times where I've seen an improvement. There are several long 6-7% grades that I've pulled both before and after, and about half the time I'm now able to reach the top in 3rd gear/55 mph where I'd be in 2nd/45 mph before the Ultrapower. So I know the power is there. Sometimes.

I was hoping that the additional power would help the tranny/engine maintain lower rpm's when pulling inclines of all sizes. In my opinion, the noise level is ok at 2200 rpm, it's bearable at 3400 rpm, but it's obnoxious at 4000+ rpm. Unfortunately, because of the terrain out here, I was spending way too much time at the higher rpm's, and I was counting on the Ultrapower to help fix that. But I can't honestly say that, in my case, there's been much improvement - I still spend way too much time in 3rd/2nd gears. But I know there's additional power there because now at the top of hills in 2nd it winds out to 4500 rpm/&gt;50 mph where before it would be 4000 rpm/45 mph. But that doesn't seem to help it shift back into 3rd any faster, so it's making more noise and sucking more gas rather than less of each.

After almost 1 year/10,000 miles I'd have to rate the Ultrapower a D+/C-. I don't feel that it has made a significant improvement in the quality of my driving experience - certainly not $1,600 worth.

Maybe my expectations were too high - certainly when you read all of the praise on this forum it's hard not to have high expectations. Maybe I didn't ask all of the right questions before I did the upgrade, and was expecting it to do things it wasn't capable of doing.

I'm not saying that the product is bad. If I felt that it was faulty, I would have taken it up with Mike one-on-one. It does deliver more power - I've felt it. Just not often enough!

(By the way, in the past year I've encountered two other people who were less than satisfied with their upgrades as well, so I know I'm not alone).
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LongGone:
I had my upgrade done last May at Brazel's - ECM + plugs (no CAI). Since then I've driven about 10,000 miles. While I'll admit that there are times where I feel the additional power, there are also many more times where it doesn't seem to help.........

(By the way, in the past year I've encountered two other people who were less than satisfied with their upgrades as well, so I know I'm not alone). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, have you talked to Mike about this or is this first you have brought it up?? And two other people out of several hundred is not really a good reading, have they talked to Mike?

As for myself I was looking for power over MPG. But - the mph just seemed to improve as well.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:35 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I felt the same as Longgone, and had my Ultrapower reprogrammed/upgraded last month at Redland Truck Service. We will be taking a 6500 mile trip in early June and will let everyone know if it has improved. Rick