Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The original Hydraulic actuated Parking brake assembly,works by placing the coach in park & it releases Hydraulic pressure from a pump & allows the park brake shoes to expand inside the park brake drum mounted on the rear of the transmission.

When you put your vehicle in reverse or drive with the existing system,the hydraulic pressure releases the parking brake and holds it off until you put the transmission back into park. If you have a bad pressure switch or a hydraulic leak,you park brake will apply while you are driving,this cause's major damage to the Brake drum & brake shoes.Sometimes if you are parked and it fails,the coach is not moveable.

Our system uses an air compressor to release our park brake system called UltraStop.If you loose air pressure,we have a simple procedure set up to release it so you are not stranded.It uses an air brake actuator from an air braked truck to make the system work.So when there is no air pressure the brake is applied.

It is a much simpler design than the hydraulic system & much less expensive if you have to replace it....Just ask Bunky Boo!! The hydraulic switches alone are almost $300 & we eliminate them!!!

This is quite a bit of information to process & I'm sure I left some stuff out,so E-mail if you have any questions or post them here and I will answer to the best of my abilities!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The original Hydraulic actuated Parking brake assembly,works by placing the coach in park & it releases Hydraulic pressure from a pump & allows the park brake shoes to expand inside the park brake drum mounted on the rear of the transmission.

When you put your vehicle in reverse or drive with the existing system,the hydraulic pressure releases the parking brake and holds it off until you put the transmission back into park. If you have a bad pressure switch or a hydraulic leak,you park brake will apply while you are driving,this cause's major damage to the Brake drum & brake shoes.Sometimes if you are parked and it fails,the coach is not moveable.

Our system uses an air compressor to release our park brake system called UltraStop.If you loose air pressure,we have a simple procedure set up to release it so you are not stranded.It uses an air brake actuator from an air braked truck to make the system work.So when there is no air pressure the brake is applied.

It is a much simpler design than the hydraulic system & much less expensive if you have to replace it....Just ask Bunky Boo!! The hydraulic switches alone are almost $300 & we eliminate them!!!

This is quite a bit of information to process & I'm sure I left some stuff out,so E-mail if you have any questions or post them here and I will answer to the best of my abilities!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike, I'd like to look at an online brochure, installation instructions showing what parts you have to disconnect or remove and how the new parts install with pictures. What kind of air compressor and tank. How it is activated and if the yellow button is still used.
Then of course the price.
Was this easier to design and build than a manually applied foot or hand operated parking brake?
Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Was this easier to design and build than a manually applied foot or hand operated parking brake? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max,

If your transmission has no parking pall,it is illegal for mine or any other shop,to install a manually operated park brake system.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
that's ridiculous!
Where do you find these rules or laws at?
At my work we have 2 , 2000 Gal, International water tucks and they have no parking pawl, just a hand operated, lever parking brake. If you need it tighter, you just twist the top of the lever to adjust it. Very simple and works fine.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
Official iRV2 Sponsor

What years are they???

The information is from a small government operation named the Department of Transportation
Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure what year, Probably in the 80s.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Max,

It probably wasnt a law until 1992/1993 when the P32 chassis went to 16000 lbs.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #9

Thats wierd !! As I write this, I am sitting in my work truck. It is a '02 Chevy 35000 HD chassis rated at 15000 GVWR. It has a typical (looking) foot pedal emergency brake that runs to a drum brake at the rear of the transmission.
Why can a foot pedal or handle type emergency brake be used ??
Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Rick,

Put the transmission in park without setting the foot brake....Does it still roll?? You P32 chassis would,because the is no parking pawl.The cool thing is you are posting on IRV2 while at work...Now that's dedication!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never thought I'd be for more government regulation, but if the gov can tell them what kind of parking brake to put in or not put in, I wish they'd tell them that they better put a transmission in that's stopng enough for a parking pawl.
When I bought my MH new, I guess this is my fault, but when I saw a "P" on the gearshift indicator and a yellow button for the parking brake , I thought I had both.
But they fooled me once.
What's even stranger, I don't need the P position on the gearshift or the cute little yellow simulated air brake button; all I have to do to slam the parking brake on, is turn the key off, or otherwise lose 12 volts to it.
I hope that you promote your air releasing mechanism by posting pics, instructions, and other details, and price on the web soon.
My actuator assembly was already replaced once under warranty. If it goes again , it'll be on me, and that looks expensive.

BTW , they still make trucks, without air brakes, with a manual parking brake, but the ones I have seen have a stick shift. Maybe that makes a difference. But I'm going to keep an eye out for one with an automatic, which are getting more common. I just can't remember what kind of pk brake they had or even if they had air brakes or not.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Max,

My web guy is no where near that fast!

I can send you pic's if you send me an E-mail.The main unit is retailing at 1795.00 & we have the compressor kits at 395.00

This is far less than the Hydraulic unit at $3200
Old 10-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

...not that slow...
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmm, that looks like a pretty nice set up. The air line , towards the outside looks a little fragile. How's it look inside the cab? I mean the valve that sends air to it and discharges it? How much air pressure does it take to keep the brake released? Does your test unit have an air tank or just the compressor? and where are they mounted?
It definitly looks like you put a lot of time and thought into it but (for me) it sounds like a lot of money. It still uses the same original drum brake? How much will you have to charge to install.
Gee Whiz, If you guys can design and build this , a nice lever/ cable operated hand brake next to the drivers seat would just be a 'walk in the park' for you guys.
Very excellent and innovative idea, Good Job!