Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been noticing that my brakes are making a stange noise. Not at the wheels but the pedal. It feels like my ABS is coming on or the back up booster motor. Its kinda of a whiney, howling noise and the pedal fights back. This is only at an idle and crawling along. Any thoughts?
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been noticing that my brakes are making a stange noise. Not at the wheels but the pedal. It feels like my ABS is coming on or the back up booster motor. Its kinda of a whiney, howling noise and the pedal fights back. This is only at an idle and crawling along. Any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
iRV2 Sponsor

mountainkowboy,

If you have an 05 Workhorse W Chassis it should be hydraulic brakes and under warranty. Give us a call and we will be happy to take care of it for you.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have just noticed (actually my wife did since here ears still function welll! ) while coming to a stop I hear a high pitched squeal that sounds like a "normal" brake squeal. The funny thing is that it continues past when I am stopped and until I let go of the brake pedal. Anyone have any ideas on that?
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
December 03, 2007 10:09 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oemtech:
"They have closed the original investigation (PE07032)and opened a new engineering evaluation."
jdsr stated: If you own a wh w20 or w22 this needs to be reported to the nhtsa whether its under warr or not. dont just let a wh ser center fix it and not report it. I wonder why that ser center didnt mention this. I wonder how many brakes are being fixed and not reported.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:
I have just noticed (actually my wife did since here ears still function welll! ) while coming to a stop I hear a high pitched squeal that sounds like a "normal" brake squeal. The funny thing is that it continues past when I am stopped and until I let go of the brake pedal. Anyone have any ideas on that?
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is normal for the Workhorse chassis.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWatkins:
Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

The hydroboost unit will squeal like that at times and it is a normal condition on both Workhorse and Ford chassis. The newer chassis have an electric brake booster that helps you stop if the engine stalls. You will hear this electric pump whine or squeal at times depending on the temperature etc.

If you or your wife feel there is reason to be concerned have it checked immediatly otherwise have them verify the hydroboost during you next maintenance stop.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks NeilV and FullTimers! That takes a load off. I am planning on setting up a appt. with WH to just have a good go-over on my coach since it is new to me. I will mention the HydroBoost issue.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Redlands Truck and RV:
mountainkowboy,

If you have an 05 Workhorse W Chassis it should be hydraulic brakes and under warranty. Give us a call and we will be happy to take care of it for you.

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I have never had ANY issues with the brakes, it has been this way since new. It only does it at an idle and at a crawl. I would hate to bring it in for nothing. It has no problems stopping, maybe it the electric brake booster.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well just got back from Redlands Truck and RV and couldnt be happier! The "brake" issue was an un-seated ABS sensor that was causing the ABS to freakout at low speeds. We also got the front end re-aligned to there specs..............what a difference that made. The people at Redlands are top-notch in my book!