Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
The part numbers on my invoice are;
Upper Shroud – W0005416
Lower Shroud – W0005417
The part numbers on the part are;
Upper Shroud – W0013763
Lower Shroud – W0013764
Looks like the parts number generator has been working overtime.

More fodder for OEMY's parts X-ref. Thanks for posting them, good luck on getting a cool day to install yours. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
The part #'s I got from the Workhorse CD...

The Wxxxxxxx numbers are almost worthless as nobody but Workhorse uses them. They do the same thing that GM does, change the number and up the price.

Example - GF481 Fuel Filter was renumbered to GF652 and had an almost $2 price increase. According to my source nothing change on the manufacturing end.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
FT

Once the fan and fan clutch assembly are removed, It should be much easier to get the upper shroud into place...

Marty
I don't plan on removing anything. I was able to get the old shroud out without removing anything and would like to install the new the same way. The fan and clutch are not the obstacle, it is more the oil lines to the cooler.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Job done! What a PITA. The old upper shroud came out fairly easy since it was mostly missing and flexible. The new upper shroud being complete and stiffer was a real pain to get up in there. I tried the driver side. I tried the passenger side. I tried going between the wheel wells and the frame. Finally I had to disconnect the tube from the throttle body and the PCM/TCM assembly and push, yank, and bend. Finally it slid into place without further damage to the radiator. The lower was a bit tricky but a lot easier. After that everything bolted up without too much trouble. It wasn’t too easy to get to the 3 top mount bolts but do able. I hit the key and it started right up, and no warning lights came on so I guess I didn’t break anything or knock anything loose. My arms and hands look like I got into a fight with a wildcat though.

Before I started the job this morning I took the time to straighten the radiator fins that were bent when the shroud got shredded. There wasn’t too many of them fortunately. Then I got out the hose and shot some water through the backside of the radiator. I was surprised at the junk that came out. Looks like it might have been more pieces of the fan shroud. I still need to run it into the shop to have them look at the leaky front wheel seal again so when I do I will take it for a run up some hills here in the Arizona heat and see if it stays cool.

I added more pictures to the photo site.
W22 Workhorse
Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #19

FT: Looks like a great job, photos say it all, those look like nylon-insert lock nuts on your connecting bolts. I'm reminded of the old saying: " any PITA worth doing is a PITA done right"
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
FT: Looks like a great job, photos say it all, those look like nylon-insert lock nuts on your connecting bolts. I'm reminded of the old saying: " any PITA worth doing is a PITA done right"
Ed
Yeah they are Nylock Nuts. I went to Lowes and first gathered up a set of 4 stainless steel hardware with nuts and lock washers. Then I added it all up and it came to almost $20 for the set of 4. I then went to Zinc and found the Nylocks and illuminated the lock washers to save a few cents. This set cost me just under $3.00. I figure this is the last time I want to do this so, Do It Right!
W22 Workhorse
Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FT great job and pictures. Your routing of upper hoses looks somewhat different than mine. But if mine get replaced, I would also do it from the bottom.

Given that if you knew the fan and fan clutch could easily come off in less then 5 minutes, would that have made your installation easier??

Marty
Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
Yeah they are Nylock Nuts. I went to Lowes and first gathered up a set of 4 stainless steel hardware with nuts and lock washers. Then I added it all up and it came to almost $20 for the set of 4. I then went to Zinc and found the Nylocks and illuminated the lock washers to save a few cents. This set cost me just under $3.00. I figure this is the last time I want to do this so, Do It Right!
I love the job you did. That said, one could still use the speed clips and screws I used and they should hold just fine. I like the new shroud!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
Given that if you knew the fan and fan clutch could easily come off in less then 5 minutes, would that have made your installation easier??

Marty
I considered that but thought after installing the shroud, it might be another PITA to get the fan and fan clutch back on. Also JimAerbus,W22,2003 is having a real tough time getting his clutch off the water pump. I didn’t want to take off more than I needed to. As it was I didn’t completely remove anything. Just unfastened and moved out of the way.
W22 Workhorse
Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I love the job you did. That said, one could still use the speed clips and screws I used and they should hold just fine. I like the new shroud!
The new shroud comes with the holes already in the flange. Just perfect for a 3/8 bolt, which I think is an overkill but what the heck, it ain’t coming apart.
W22 Workhorse
Old 08-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Full Timer - Where did you buy your shrouds? I have to replace mine. The slots on my upper shroud have broken apart and it is not being held in place very well. The fan went through my bottom shroud years ago. I have done temporary fixes but want to do it right.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I bought them from a local authorized Workhorse service center here in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. As I said, it was a real pain to replace so if I were you I would add a couple of self tapping screws along the top rail similar to the fix for the bottom. I bet Redlands Truck has the shrouds in stock.
W22 Workhorse
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Full-Timers. I live about 14 miles from Redlands Truck so I'll give them a call. I know they can get them for me.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #28

Nice job, Dan!

The pictures really help to understand the whole job you did. I think you did the right thing by "over building" the install with heavier fasteners. I'm with you, no need to do the job over again.

Now, how's the golf cart gas tank going?

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan