Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #1

I have heard rumors that that GM is replacing the 8.1 liter engine with a new modular V-10 next year....anyone else heard this?

Come on DriVer, give it up!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #2

I have heard rumors that that GM is replacing the 8.1 liter engine with a new modular V-10 next year....anyone else heard this?

Come on DriVer, give it up!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Well, wouldn't that be something! Just think, a more powerful gas engine.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I have heard rumors that that GM is replacing the 8.1 liter engine with a new modular V-10 next year....anyone else heard this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I hear a lot of rumors and this certainly isn't one of them.

If you see anything along these lines please let us know.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:40 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do have a little "inside" information on a V-10 possibly coming soon from GM.

I attended a training class some months ago and the instructor was demonstrating a new special diagnostic tool which could be used on a variety of engines. It had a setting for "10 cyl. engine". When asked about this, he would only say that there is something in the works.

I can't even remember what the tester was for. I think it was to test the Active Fuel Management system on the engines that currently have the capability of disabling cylinders at low load to conserve fuel. (GM used to refer to this technology as Displacement On Demand.)

Think about it. A GM V-10 gas engine, say in the 500 cid range would produce GOBS of torque AND if it had the ability to drop 5 cylinders at highway speeds the fuel economy would be even better. Mate it to an Allison 6-speed and WOW!

That's all I know at this point, but will let y'all know if I hear anything else.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:54 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Horsepowerfan:

Think about it. A GM V-10 gas engine, say in the 500 cid range would produce GOBS of torque AND if it had the ability to drop 5 cylinders at highway speeds the fuel economy would be even better. Mate it to an Allison 6-speed and WOW!

) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea Jim.

May I add to your wish list, an exhaust turbo electric generator to crack our 80 gallons of fresh water into hydrogen for improved mileage and a little extra oxygen for us old geezers!?
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:50 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
May I add to your wish list, an exhaust turbo electric generator to crack our 80 gallons of fresh water into hydrogen for improved mileage and a little extra oxygen for us old geezers!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even better! I love it!
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why??

The big bore, short stroke V8 is the ideal truck engine. A high reving V10 would be a step backwards.

IMO, the 8.1 is ideal. Enough horsepower and torque to move a large coach but not enough to effect longevity. GM calls the 8.1 a 200,000 mile engine. GM could easily add 100hp but at the expensive of economy and longevity. Some applications of the 8.1 do come in a higher output engine.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Here's something from the Aluminum Association, Inc.

GM Revved for New Aluminum V-10 Engine in 2007
General Motors Corp. is developing a V-10 gasoline engine for use in some of its biggest sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks and crossover vehicles starting in 2007, with both an all-aluminum version and an iron-block model planned, American Metal Market reported April 17, 2003.

The aluminum versions could enter the market with 210 pounds or more apiece of finished aluminum components, company sources said. The Detroit-based automaker doesn't currently build an engine with that much aluminum.

GM sources said the V-10s are intended for use in such vehicles as the Cadillac Escalade, an SUV, and the Escalade EXT, a sport utility truck with a cargo box at the rear. Those vehicles are available with V-8 engines only, as GM doesn't currently have a V-10 in its product line.

As power options in those vehicles, the big automaker figures the 10-cylinder units will attract more Cadillac buyers and enable the company to increase its share of the luxury truck market. As conceived, the V-10s are overhead-valve (OHV) units based on GM's existing 4.8- to 6.0-liter small-block V-8s.

The V-10 is a separate design from the Cadillac Cien V-12 concept engine introduced last year, a GM source said. That engine was based on the dual-overhead-cam Northstar V-8. The V-10 also is smaller, and considered to be more practical, than the OHV V-16 concept engine introduced early this year by GM in its experimental supercar, the Cadillac Sixteen.

The V-16 is not a viable candidate for production, GM sources said, but the DOHC V-12 is. However, the V-12, which is also all aluminum, is more likely to be used in cars than trucks and is not as close to production as the V-10, one GM source said.

Although GM's plans for the V-10 represent good news for the aluminum industry, they could get the big automaker into more trouble with energy conservationists and environmentalists.

GM recently took a position against any increase--even the modest uptick of 1.5 miles per gallon ordered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration--in federal fuel economy standards for light-duty trucks, saying, among other things, that an increase would cost the automaker too much money (AMM, March 10).

GM does intend to team the V-10s up with a new rear-wheel-drive six-speed automatic transmission, which will benefit the Cadillac models using the engines in the fuel economy area, company sources said. In addition, the V-10s probably will be equipped with fuel-saving features, such as GM's displacement-on-demand system and/or variable valve actuation.

GM sources said they don't yet know how many of the V-10s the company will make each year.

However, they did say GM's long-term plans include making the big engines available in more than just Cadillacs. GMC trucks, in particular, are likely to eventually make use of the engines, they said.

In LeftLane News I saw:

Lastly, the magazine reports GM is in the initial stages of prototyping a new "huge" LS-style engine with 8.3 liters of displacement and 900 horsepower. It's unclear if that engine is the LS9, or something entirely different. The source who worked on the engine said, "I don't get parts unless they're actually going to do something with them." (Recently, we noted GM registered the name "LSX" for a vehicle engine).

read more: Diablo Sport Gas & Diesel Tuning
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote