Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2023, 10:15 PM   #1

Vacuum at oil fill tube

So I'm getting ready for a short trip to the drag strip next weekend and while doing some routine maintenance i noticed that there is negative pressure at the oil fill tube while the engine is running. The idle will dip slightly when the cap is removed and return to normal idle. It's enough vacuum to hold a piece of paper in place. Not enough vacuum to deform the paper.

Is this normal? My thinking is yes. The PCV should provide some amount of vacuum. I have just never noticed this before.

It's a 2003 Suncruiser with a 8.1 Vortec 120k miles on it, runs great and does not consume oil.

Thanks
Funcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2023, 10:46 PM   #2

Yes, normal. The PCV valve is always drawing a vacuum in the crankcase.

PCV testers sit on the oil fill and test the pull.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:09 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There should not be a vacuum in the crankcase. The crankcase ventilation system has an orifice built into the intake manifold. The orifice uses intake vacuum to draw crankcase vapors into the engine air intake. The engine then burns these vapors.

In order for the system to work there has to be a clean air intake into the crankcase. I went and looked at my 8.1L engine but can't see where filtered air is introduced into crankcase. Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

If you have a vacuum in the crankcase it indicates that the intake air is plugged.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
There should not be a vacuum in the crankcase. The crankcase ventilation system has an orifice built into the intake manifold. The orifice uses intake vacuum to draw crankcase vapors into the engine air intake. The engine then burns these vapors.

In order for the system to work there has to be a clean air intake into the crankcase. I went and looked at my 8.1L engine but can't see where filtered air is introduced into crankcase. Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

If you have a vacuum in the crankcase it indicates that the intake air is plugged.
Its not at the crankcase but at the valve cover where the oil fill tube empties into the head.
Funcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funcruiser View Post
Its not at the crankcase but at the valve cover where the oil fill tube empties into the head.

From an "air movement" standpoint, what is the difference?

PVC valve does use engine vacuum to "vent" the crankcase to reduce air pollution from oil vapor. It is now burned in the engine, not vented to atmosphere.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:12 PM   #6

The intake air of the PVC system is the 3/4 inch hose, from the opposite valve cover, to the small filter tucked up in the side of the air filter housing.

It's a bit restricted by design, so opening the oil fill cap let's more air in the system. That causes the lean condition and rise in RPMs.

Some GM engines use a different system but it still puts the engine under negetive pressure.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vacuum