RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an incident this past weekend that I thought I should pass along because the info might help someone else in the same situation.

Those that have the Workhorse know how difficult it is at times to read the gear selector display so will understand how I made the mistake of not getting the thing all the way into Drive when I shifted out of Park after a stop. The transmission was still in Neutral when I stepped on the accelerator to move out, causing the engine to rev up. Impatient self moved the selector into Drive before the rpm had settled all the way back to idle. The engine wasn't screaming but was probably a bit over 1,000 rpm.

The transmission went into gear but would not shift out of Low. That was when I saw that the transmission warning light (a gear icon) on the dash was on. I pulled over as soon as I was able and got the manual out. What I found was that I had apparently tripped an alarm condition that is triggered by shifting from Neutral into Drive with the rpm over 900. That causes the light to come on and shifts to be inhibited.

The manual wasn't much help about what to do except to get it to a service center. Fat chance of that on a Sunday. I was only a short distance from my destination so limped in and shut it down, thinking I would call for help the next day. However, after letting it sit over night I restarted and all was well.

Be careful to avoid over-speed shifts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an incident this past weekend that I thought I should pass along because the info might help someone else in the same situation.

Those that have the Workhorse know how difficult it is at times to read the gear selector display so will understand how I made the mistake of not getting the thing all the way into Drive when I shifted out of Park after a stop. The transmission was still in Neutral when I stepped on the accelerator to move out, causing the engine to rev up. Impatient self moved the selector into Drive before the rpm had settled all the way back to idle. The engine wasn't screaming but was probably a bit over 1,000 rpm.

The transmission went into gear but would not shift out of Low. That was when I saw that the transmission warning light (a gear icon) on the dash was on. I pulled over as soon as I was able and got the manual out. What I found was that I had apparently tripped an alarm condition that is triggered by shifting from Neutral into Drive with the rpm over 900. That causes the light to come on and shifts to be inhibited.

The manual wasn't much help about what to do except to get it to a service center. Fat chance of that on a Sunday. I was only a short distance from my destination so limped in and shut it down, thinking I would call for help the next day. However, after letting it sit over night I restarted and all was well.

Be careful to avoid over-speed shifts.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the info "hwybnb" built in protection by ALLISON.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Does anyone know what caused the reset? Was it the time it sat before a restart? Was it the number of restarts with no error?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Full-Timers, I think the ECM talks to itself and says what fool mistake has this driver put me in now. Waits a spell and desides to give us another chance and allows us to start her up again. When I had the water problem would wait a spell after power down and it would restart, didn't have to try three times that maybe for the engine light to go out. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After posting this on another forum a WH owner posted that he was able to clear the alarm and lockout immediately by moving the selector lever from Drive through the lower gears and back.

Neither the WH nor the Allison User's Manual gives any information on the subject.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Shutting down the engine and waiting for a few minutes before restart, cures a number of situations that most often just go away.

If you do shoot a code and the problem won't go away, the code gets stored in the ECM but you can normally resume your trip until you have a chance to visit a service center to have the code evaluated and cleared.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote