Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

W-22 Not starting and Cruise Control issue

Hello All.

I used the RV this weekend (2003 W-22 Damon Intruder). I had no problems starting the RV 3 times on a 320 mile trip. But when i got to my location it would not start with the key anymore. I changed the starter relay and nothing. So i pulled out the volt meter and started testing for power. I have consent 12v at the relay, Ground. I was able to start the RV by wire jump it. So i was thinking it was the key part but when i turn the key to start i have 12v under the dash but not at the relay. What can be my issue.

I also on the way home had an issue with my cruise control. It was working then it started cutting off by its self. then it would not work anymore.

Any Help on both issues will help.

Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #2

w22

"consant 12v at the relay"
most relays -- #85 coil ground
#86 coil hot. coil hot should come from key "on"
#30 should be consant 12v hot key "0n" should contact #30 with #87 --- as best i know
hope this helps, good luck
Old 12-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
For the starting problem I would continue tracing wires and look for a possible bad ground.
As for the 2nd problem, check to see if your brake lights are on. My break light switch is so close to the break peddle that if I hit a good bump the peddle will hit the switch and disable the cruise control.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10EC View Post
"consant 12v at the relay"
most relays -- #85 coil ground
#86 coil hot. coil hot should come from key "on"
#30 should be consant 12v hot key "0n" should contact #30 with #87 --- as best i know
hope this helps, good luck

I tested the ground and its good. no power from the wire coming when the Key is in the start position.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
For the starting problem I would continue tracing wires and look for a possible bad ground.
As for the 2nd problem, check to see if your brake lights are on. My break light switch is so close to the break peddle that if I hit a good bump the peddle will hit the switch and disable the cruise control.

I will check the brake switch.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #6

After above.. and then to try.. is seperate the issues.. ignition 1st.. under dash at columb is ignition switch.. 1 bolt.. un bolt that.. look inside see if burnt up.. some models have bad ignition switch.. if you find ok.. check your battery disconnect switches.. if they are oem. Then replace or clean them.. warning... touch nothing until you use cell phone with camera and flash and record everything.. you will not remember where everything goes.. use electric contact cleaner and fine wire brushes to clean the corrosion off the plug and eyelets and lugs.. you may need to take disconnect apart and clean contacts.. inside.. they get very corroded over time and need cleaning.. and only make part contact.. or just replace ... use all safety precautions and take neg off all... I mean all. Batteries and unplug coach.. no power.. there is no room to work in there with out shorting out and causing fire.. post pictures of your battery disconnect switches..
2nd cruise control.. well that maybe harder.. sometimes the wires wear thought at the tilt in steering column.. they rub through.. the ignition wire can do same.. use cell phone with camera and flash and record up under steering column and remove cover..
Just ideas to check if you still have problems...
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #7

Here is an update on getting it starting again with the key.

I am 3rd owner of this rv and last two owner really made a mess of the wires under the dash and out front. So i started tracing the yellow wires.

Had power on the inside coming from the key but did not exit ti the front fuse or relay. So after following the yellow wire under the dash i found a cut in fuse that was added and it was blown. replaced it and bam it starts with the Key again.

I am planning to get under the dash and cleaning the wiring up one day.

next have to tackle the cruise issue.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:44 AM   #8

Thanks for the update much better than leaving a topic open - ended with people wondering what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbcobra View Post
Here is an update on getting it starting again with the key.

I am 3rd owner of this rv and last two owner really made a mess of the wires under the dash and out front. So i started tracing the yellow wires.

Had power on the inside coming from the key but did not exit ti the front fuse or relay. So after following the yellow wire under the dash i found a cut in fuse that was added and it was blown. replaced it and bam it starts with the Key again.

I am planning to get under the dash and cleaning the wiring up one day.

next have to tackle the cruise issue.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not starting