Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #1

Hi everybody! My wife and I just purchased a 2003 Allegro Bay, 4500 miles, 8.1L Vortec. The first trip went great! The second, not so good. We were only 2 miles from home starting our trip. During a left turn, the engine just shut off. I was able to start it and continue on. The next left turn, it did the exact same thing, except now the tach wasn't working. So, cancelled the trip and limped it home and eventually towed to the dealer that I got it from, Emerald Coast in Dothan, AL, due to the fact that the last time it stalled, it wouldn't restart. However, it did restart at the dealership. Also, don't know it if it's related, but the left headlight is dim. The brights work, but it's dim in normal mode. Also, the windshield wipes don't work. This seems to be a strange phenomenon on such a young engine. I was thinking of maybe a TPS or some electrical issue(ground) for wipers and headlight. So far Emerald Coast is outsourcing the chassis work to someone else and I haven't heard anything except for that it's not a fuel problem. Could all the problems be related to one part or component? Why would it only cut off when turning left and not right? Any ideas would by greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, and it's great to be a part of the forum as a new RVer!
my2kids330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 02:57 AM   #2

M2K330; They will likely be looking at corroded grounds on such an underused unit. I would. Happy Father's Day and good luck!! And Welcome Aboard!!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:23 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I would be looking at the wiring harness in the steering column. There have bee reports of chaffing . This can lead to what you are experiencing. Do a search on "steering column" nd you may find a few threads about this subject.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by my2kids330:
Why would it only cut off when turning left and not right? Any ideas would by greatly appreciated.
my2kids330, Welcome to the Workhorse Chassis Forum the best resource on the Internet to get the answers you need regarding your Workhorse chassis.

We have a team of experts and owners that have a lot of experience with your chassis and I am certain that the definitive answer will pop-up fairly quickly.

I would like to speculate that if this is a directional event only that in the past we have seen where something on the right side could be effecting events on the left side.

With that in mind I'm thinking of looking at the drivetrain mounting on the right side including the motor mount but that's really speculative. Perhaps a torque moment in the power train is causing some type of open circuit condition in a modular connector.

Now that said I hope that going forward you plan several trips with right hand turns only.

I believe we're all very much interested in seeing what this anomaly could be and I will be working with an RSM and an OEM account manager this week here in Goshen. IN. These are 2 of the very best guys that I know in the business and I'll be sure to get their ideas on the matter.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Sounds like your motorhome suffered a stroke. Just stay off the NASCAR tracks and you should be OK.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:02 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedbak and speculations. I'll fill all of you in when I know more from the dealership.
my2kids330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the "good old days" there were lots of things that could cause symptoms such as yours.

Most of those things have been replaced by computer controlled EFI systems that simply do not do that today.

However bad electrical connections... They do that Check all connections special attention to grounds, Check wires, look for any suggestion a wire may be broken inside it's cover (Insulation) and GOOD LUCK
Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Protection for ignition cable

If it turns out to be your ignition cable to ignition switch add some extra protection.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
After reading this post for 2 days I just couldn't resist - only make right turns.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by JCM:
After reading this post for 2 days I just couldn't resist - only make right turns.
As Kevin Harvick says in the commercial "Not gonna happen..."

Old 06-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Just curious...does it cut out while turning in reverse gear?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
iRV2 Sponsor

We have a coach here that would quit while making right hand turns.

We found the intake tubing not connected properly and when making a turn the tube would flex just enough to trick the mass air flow sensor into going full rich which would kill the motor.
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Redlands Truck and RV:
Well that takes the cake! We've got coaches than fail in left hand turns and now right hand turns. Pretty soon I bet we'll hear from an owner that experienced a failure going straight ahead.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Must have been owned by a NASCAR driver.. Turn Left and go Fast.