Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Not sure I would agree with the term "a lot" because the total number of chassis recalled to replace the OE calipers exceeded 50,000, = to over 200,000 calipers.

IF the failure rate of the "improved " calipers was "a lot", I would think someone would have convinced NHTSA to mandate another recall. AFAIK, that hasn't happened. Bosch brake caliper recall 51101-C was issued in September 2010, and unfortunately, there are STILL chassis out there with that recall open. I average finding about one per week, (11 years later) where a new owner is hearing about it and I'm able to help them find a way to get it done.

As I have posted many many times, moisture that becomes absorbed in the hygroscopic brake fluid is believed to be the root cause of the swollen pistons, and the best preventative action is to replace the fluid every 2 years-even after installing the improved version calipers. IMO, compared to the cost and potential damage that can occur when a caliper sticks, fresh brake fluid is cheap PM.
Ed
I agree with your statement above but good fluid maintenance is still no guarantee against failure. I do a complete fluid flush with a power bleeder in the spring of every year (cheap and easy to do with this device) but still suffered a failure. It's a machine and machines break! End of story
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
Ed
I agree with your statement above but good fluid maintenance is still no guarantee against failure. I do a complete fluid flush with a power bleeder in the spring of every year (cheap and easy to do with this device) but still suffered a failure. It's a machine and machines break! End of story
Tom
Thanks, Tom: FWIW, I agree with you. The "improvements" made to the OE version of the calipers included a larger piston-to-bore clearance, a "stronger" piston seal claimed to aid in piston retraction, and a different phenolic formulation claimed to be more resistant to absorption of moisture.

At the beginning of the recall, Bosch was machining calipers on a 3 shifts per day schedule and I'm sure there may have been some that didn't come out as well as hoped, but passed whatever QC was in place at the time. Obviously, I have no clue as to why some of these "improved" calipers have not stood the test of time, but yours is a great example of that happening.

I have no reason to think it is just WCC's way of trying to sell "genuine Workhorse" parts, but I was recently told by the former Director of Service that "not all of the Bosch-made calipers available for purchase in the market today actually have the improvements" ( that I put in bold, above ). ASSUMING the ones that failed you were provided by the recall thru a WCC ASC, then you should have gotten the correct version.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #17

Dragging/stuck pistons =heat. Heat eventuallycracked rotors and worn out pads. ALL caused by caliper/fluid failure = The recall should have covered the parts.
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #18

Brake recall check

Could you run my Vin 5B4MP67GX13337302 for the brake recall.

I am having intermittent rear brake heating up. Curious if it was done.

Thanks
Tommyd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyd68 View Post

Thanks
That vin is a 2001 model W-22 with 19.5" wheels, sold to FLTW in PA. Because 2001 was the first year for the W series, it had 2 recalls on the brakes and both were completed. The second recall, 51101-C, was done 4-6-2011 @ 11,734 miles.

IF you want the build sheet, send me an email so I can attach it to a reply. edgray1@gmail.com
Ed
Old 11-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayjim2 View Post
Dragging/stuck pistons =heat. Heat eventuallycracked rotors and worn out pads. ALL caused by caliper/fluid failure = The recall should have covered the parts.
Yes, it should have, but it didn't. You would have to ask NHTSA why they didn't include that when they approved the recall.
When the recall was relatively new (and WCC still existed and needed to generate goodwill), they often included those other parts collaterally damaged by the heat IF the shop doing the work submitted pictures proving the damage was heat related. I think the goodwill ended when Navistar shut down WCC in 2012, .....probably because a closed down company has no need for goodwill.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:16 AM   #21

Thank you
Old 11-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #22

w-22 Calipers

If brake caliper pistons are not retracting or sticking. That will make the pad rub constantly wearing it out and causing the rotor to overheat and CRACK. SoI believe that means the defective parts that caused the chain of destroyed parts should be covered. This has all long passed, completed in 2008 20,500 Miles. Grandson removed aall wheels last week and I inspectted rotors/calipers/pads.,and everthing looks good 53,500 miles. So that tells me that the caliper pistons caused all that damage thus WCC should$$$$$$ I,m Done Jim
Old 11-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyd68 View Post

Thanks
Tommy,
If you suspect brakes are starting to drag I would not wait to replace the calipers. Do it before you damage the rotors (hopefully that has not happened yet) because the difference in cost of repair is astronomical. The calipers are easy to replace and reasonably priced, the rotors are far more costly and the labor to replace them is extensive. I did the entire brake system on my 2004 W-22 (calipers, rotors, brake hoses, and pads) and even with the truck garage discount I get from owning trucks it still cost me $1100 for parts. Consider what labor cost would be if you have a shop do this repair and it gets crazy quickly.
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayjim2 View Post
If brake caliper pistons are not retracting or sticking. That will make the pad rub constantly wearing it out and causing the rotor to overheat and CRACK. SoI believe that means the defective parts that caused the chain of destroyed parts should be covered. This has all long passed, completed in 2008 20,500 Miles. Grandson removed aall wheels last week and I inspectted rotors/calipers/pads.,and everthing looks good 53,500 miles. So that tells me that the caliper pistons caused all that damage thus WCC should$$$$$$ I,m Done Jim
Now I'm really confused. Earlier you posted that a dealer had charged you for pads and rotors that you believe should have been included in the recall. IF that happened in 2008, as you posted above, that was BEFORE the recall was even issued (September 2010).

AFTER the recall was issued, WCC reimbursed some owners who had paid for brake failures prior to the recall going into effect, but they had to file a claim and submit receipts proving the work had been done.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #25

Calipers.

And as I stated above, the calipers caused the chain reaction of destroyed parts. WC $$$
Old 11-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #26

Calipers

Yep I definitely made a mistake on the year recall completed/ I will pull my paperwork and check. Regardless. Getting old
Old 11-14-2021, 05:31 AM   #27

2002 Pace arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
Tommy,
If you suspect brakes are starting to drag I would not wait to replace the calipers. Do it before you damage the rotors (hopefully that has not happened yet) because the difference in cost of repair is astronomical. The calipers are easy to replace and reasonably priced, the rotors are far more costly and the labor to replace them is extensive. I did the entire brake system on my 2004 W-22 (calipers, rotors, brake hoses, and pads) and even with the truck garage discount I get from owning trucks it still cost me $1100 for parts. Consider what labor cost would be if you have a shop do this repair and it gets crazy quickly.
Tom
I plan on pulling the tires and seeing what is up. I had the brakes replaced in 2019 and have only put 4k on them since then. Frustrating issue that only appears on occasionally. Last trip though it heated up bad and smoked when I got home. I had heavy stop and go on the way home. No problems on the way out. She sitting now waiting for me to start working. Thanks
Old 11-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #28

Dragging brakes is not always caused by contaminated fluid or stuck pistons. I take my calipers off every two years and clean all contact points between the caliper mounts and the caliper including the flat spring between the caliper and the mount and lube all contact points with brake caliper lube.
While they may not appear to, the calipers must be able to "float" on the spindles to work properly. As the brake pads wear the caliper must be able to move to keep the brakes adjusted so the caliper pistons don't have to travel too far before squeezing the pads to apply the brakes when you push the pedal.
Remember just normal driving will tend to cause the brakes to heat and cool. Add in rainy conditions and you have a perfect environment for rust build up which will eventually lead to the caliper seizing to the supports.
Even passenger cars and trucks have problems with seizing calipers. It's the nature of the beast when you have pads running at zero clearance to the rotors. The brakes heat up while you are driving and cool while you are stopped. The changing temperatures will eventually lead to the rust and contaminated fluid conditons.

Tags
brake, recall, w22