Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #15

I purchased a Mt.Aire in Oct. of 2008. My first trip south in Jan. of 2008 I stopped in Myrtle Beach and noticed that there was differental oil on the rear left wheel.I called Workhorse and and they recomended a shop in Myrtle beach.The gasket between the hub and the axel was leaking.The mechanic said the gasket was paper thin .
I left the MH in the shop and returned in a couple of hours and it was fixed.I thought they would replaced the gasket,but instead they used a permatex gasket.The mechanic said since the MH eas out of warranty, they said permatex was a better fix.The repair has not leaked,but the gasket on the other side is starting to leak.Has any one else had the same problem? What is the best solution, new paper thin gasket or permatex it?The MH Had 7300mi when I bought it, and it only has 9700 miles on it now.I would like to hear other opinions.I have the workhorse w-22 chasis. Jawpaint
jawpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JOE WILKOWSKI:
I would like to hear other opinions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Joe, I don't believe that there ever was a paper gasket however the best resolution is a silicone based, fluid liquid, semi hardening sealant. It works each and ever time. I'm currently running this type of sealant on both sides and it's holding very well.

Larry's did not pull a fast one on you. It really does work.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #17

DriVer:The mechanic stated that the gasket was paper thin.The repair is working well.I was concerned about how to deal with the wheel on the other side.Do I have to lift the wheels off the ground to pull the axel or can I remove the bolts and slide the axel out? Jawpaint
Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JOE WILKOWSKI:
Do I have to lift the wheels off the ground to pull the axle or can I remove the bolts and slide the axle out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Joe, I wouldn't recommend that an axle be pulled with the tires on the ground. I would raise the axle off the ground just enough to get the weight off the tires.

Be level and chock your front and opposite side tires.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #19

DriVer, Thanks for the info.Jawpaint
Old 12-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #20

I had the same leak several months ago and I also used a permatex non hardening silicone. So far no leaks. I also had the same paper thin gasked that failed after 25k miles.
03Dolphinlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #21

I jacked the side to be replaced up so not to leak out all the diff fluid when the axle is removed. Just un do the bolts and the axle slides out easily.
03Dolphinlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer, no reason to take any weight off the tires when removing the axle, The axle doesn't bear any weight since it's a full floating axle..

I do agree with 03Dolphinlx that you can jack up the side your working on to reduce the amount of fluid you may lose when the axle is removed.

Since both sides have leaked I would suggest you check the diff vent to make sure it's not plugged. A plugged vent can cause the gaskets or seals to leak.
Jack
Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Just pull the drain plug and use a suction gun to replace the fluid. This way you don't have to jack up 1 side, you don't lose any fluid and you can check for contaminated fluid.

We use to change gears in the race car (Franklin Quick Change) in about 2 minutes and yes we use synthetic gear lube back then.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HuskyJack:
DriVer, no reason to take any weight off the tires when removing the axle, The axle doesn't bear any weight since it's a full floating axle.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jack, Old habits die hard I guess. I had always jacked up heavy vehicles to pull axles. I remember whacking the axle flange with a sledge hammer to pop the cones. I found also found it easier to locate the axle in the differential if everything moves. Now some 30+ years ago.

I know that its a lot easier to pull axles on our chassis that it used to be and I believe that you are correct in that you do not absolutely need to remove weight from the tires to repair an outside axle seal.

Knowing me, I would still jack up the vehicle. Something about old dogs ....