Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Those look like Timbren aftermarket bump stops. Much bigger than stock. I remember reading complaints before where someone posted that Timbrens made the ride too harsh. They're even beefier than the Sumos, and my take was that they seem to be better suited for commercial trucks.
Ah! That could definitely be a part of the root cause then. Will definitely swap.out for the Sumo's once back home. Wonder if I should try and ditch them at the next stop. There for 3 days, no close auto parts store at all if things go sideways though.
Bullitt 2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2022, 01:25 PM   #16

Those are definitely NOT the yellow plastic “ bump stops” that were OE on the W series. I would not remove them until the replacement you chose is available to install.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Those are definitely NOT the yellow plastic “ bump stops” that were OE on the W series. I would not remove them until the replacement you chose is available to install.
Agreed. And don't take my word for it about them causing the rough ride. That's just something I remember reading previously. Maybe some others here who also have them will chime in. They don't seem to be as widely used on motorhomes as the Sumos for some reason.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:38 AM   #18

Put air bags on the front & some new shocks.

I've got 22.5 wheels & Michelin tires. Ride was garbage day I bought it used with 45,000 miles. Original shocks.

I'm an authorized air lift dealer & I love the improvement after adding their airbag kit to the front end. I bought front/rear/compressor/controller but only put front bags on so far. If you are ok drilling holes in your frame & using basic tools it's a 2 hour install with swearing on your back with wheels on in the street.

At 75 to 85psi in the bags front end handles much better but still has some big bounce on our garbage CA roads. I got 1.5 inch rise on front airing up my bags. My bumpstops were a bit hammered when I first looked.

I'm about to overnight koni shocks before my trip Wednesday. Taking one of the most dangerous scenic drives on West coast with little kids in the rv!

I will also try putting tires at 85psi up front to see how it feels. I run Betty hard fast and heavy out here. Towing my suv loaded with every cabinet in the rv loaded I get some nasty porpoising. Rear air bags should help that.

My 2003 winnebago adventurer 35U can pull a 2017 Chevy equinox like it's not even there. On smooth new asphalt doing 70 on cruise towing is a smooth dream but on average highways bone jarring front end bounce makes 55 or 60mph the sweet spot.
rollinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinj View Post
Put air bags on the front & some new shocks.

I've got 22.5 wheels & Michelin tires. Ride was garbage day I bought it used with 45,000 miles. Original shocks.

I'm an authorized air lift dealer & I love the improvement after adding their airbag kit to the front end. I bought front/rear/compressor/controller but only put front bags on so far. If you are ok drilling holes in your frame & using basic tools it's a 2 hour install with swearing on your back with wheels on in the street.

At 75 to 85psi in the bags front end handles much better but still has some big bounce on our garbage CA roads. I got 1.5 inch rise on front airing up my bags. My bumpstops were a bit hammered when I first looked.

I'm about to overnight koni shocks before my trip Wednesday. Taking one of the most dangerous scenic drives on West coast with little kids in the rv!

I will also try putting tires at 85psi up front to see how it feels. I run Betty hard fast and heavy out here. Towing my suv loaded with every cabinet in the rv loaded I get some nasty porpoising. Rear air bags should help that.

My 2003 winnebago adventurer 35U can pull a 2017 Chevy equinox like it's not even there. On smooth new asphalt doing 70 on cruise towing is a smooth dream but on average highways bone jarring front end bounce makes 55 or 60mph the sweet spot.
Would love to hear your thoughts on how you like the Konis after your trip.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #20

I ordered Koni front shocks from Brazel overnight which I install tonight before I leave tomorrow.

Pictured are old shocks, old bump stops & new air lift airbags
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220726_075354.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	372050  
Old 08-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #21

Stopped for a few days, going to air down pressures again. Problem is I cannot find the valve stems for the inside rear wheels?��
Old 08-11-2022, 09:37 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
For us new shocks, better tires and running at the proper inflation made a 100% difference in comfort and noise.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:46 AM   #23

Curious how you’ve progressed?

FWIW - ‘02 W22 under a Georgie Boy 3402 - bought January ‘21 - since, and in order of improvements -

New tires
Bilsteins all around (old shocks were the black OEM’s at 37k miles, and 2 were shot).
Both front bump stops were shot - installed Sumo’s all around, used recommended for W22 on front and suggested P-32’s on rear.
Track bar on rear end.

Everything I did improved the ride and handling.

2 items left to do - get front end aligned and increase chambe to 5 degrees (bought the wedges when I bought the track bar), and add leaf spring isolators to the front leaf springs (WH used isolators on the bottom of the front u-bent spring, but not the top for their early chassis).
Old 09-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post

increase chambe to 5 degrees (bought the wedges when I bought the track bar)
I think you mean increase CASTER to +5°. Increasing caster to +5.5° really helped my straight line stability.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Curious how you’ve progressed?

FWIW - ‘02 W22 under a Georgie Boy 3402 - bought January ‘21 - since, and in order of improvements -

New tires
Bilsteins all around (old shocks were the black OEM’s at 37k miles, and 2 were shot).
Both front bump stops were shot - installed Sumo’s all around, used recommended for W22 on front and suggested P-32’s on rear.
Track bar on rear end.

Everything I did improved the ride and handling.

2 items left to do - get front end aligned and increase chambe to 5 degrees (bought the wedges when I bought the track bar), and add leaf spring isolators to the front leaf springs (WH used isolators on the bottom of the front u-bent spring, but not the top for their early chassis).
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
I think you mean increase CASTER to +5°. Increasing caster to +5.5° really helped my straight line stability.
My bad - Thanks yeloduster! Your right, CASTOR not CAMBER (or as I wrote, “chambe”).
Old 09-02-2022, 11:04 PM   #26

Koni is so good

There is a very distinct difference between stock & koni shocks on my w22.

After 700 miles on rough highway I can say it's still more bouncy than a diesel pusher but more tame.than before.

Small bumps are diminished & the general road noise felt in cabin is lessend by half or more in my estimation.

Well worth the investment. I will now put them on the rear at se time I put my rear airbags on when it cools down.

I didn't experiment with tire pressure. I matched the manufacturer decal. With rear bags & konis I think I'll be in heaven.

Well worth the money. I own a professional mobile RV repair business & plan to put these on all my clients workhorse chassis.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:14 PM   #27

W-24 Suspension Stuff

Replaced what I assume were original Bielsteins with Koni FSV's today. Took 5 hours - mainly because I had to clean bolts and nuts on front driver side as well as tap and die them. Experienced zero issues with front passenger side. Weird...

Tomorrow is Tiger Trak rear track bar. My expectation is that this modification will reduce rear end frame flex in corners and subsequent related steering corrections.

Hopefully tomorrow is also Sumo front springs, however time will tell.

Installed Safe-T-Plus a few years ago, difference was night and day!

Will follow recommendations in this thread on tire pressure. Have recent Toyo's on the front and older Michelins on the rear.

Leaving Gulfport MS Monday for Circuit of The Americas in Austin Texas. United States Formula 1 Grand Prix next weekend. I work the race down on the track. I'm on turn 8 this year.

Interested in seeing how the coach rides along I-10 after these suspension mods... Tired of the fillings rattling out of my teeth!
Old 10-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #28

Bump Stops

What is the trick to removing these?

Tags
suspension, w22