Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
W22 front wheel bearings oil level

Think I got it right, just want to be sure. My WH books only mentions sight glasses to check the level.

I don't have the clear plastic cover or sight glass. It is a solid rubber cap. I pulled it off and can see just a bit of oil.... down low.

The outer ring has a circle saying "minimum oil level" The ring is about one-half inch below the open hole.

I plan to find some 90wt GL5 or 80-90wt GL5 and fill a bit more above the "minimum oil level" marking and let it set for an hour or more to see if it settles.

Good approach?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #2

Yes, you're on the right track. Pull the rubber plug from the center of the seal and fill until it is just below the bottom of the plug hole. Re-install the rubber plug. Use synthetic gear lube-that's what came in it originally.

Don't overfill by adding thru the screw-off cap because that WILL make a mess you don't want to clean up.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Ed and thanks for the reply. I'm not positive synthetic was used originally. The WH Owner's Manual says: SAE 90W GL-5 Gear Oil.

Synthetic fluids are specified only for the rear diff and manual 5-speed trans.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I looked around some more. (We are second owners from 2012.). Factory oil was W/H p/n 1052227. From reading a thread by wa8yxm on 7/26/09 "Wet Hubs", it seems clear as mud.

I have no prior service records. From what I deduce.....if the original oil was changed out to synthetic (probably not since there is only 31K miles on the ODO), it would not hurt to add an ounce or 2 or 3 of either synthetic or mineral based oil and mix them to bring up to the proper level.

Anyone want to jump in?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being the subject who started that thread you just cited. I agree with your evualation

Here is what I got out of it.

You have two circles (one is the rubber ring one is the outer ring

Level should be below rubber, and within the outer ring.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

Mine was down to the "minimum" circle. Using the screw-on cap, I filled it up to the center of the rubber plug. Drove just <100 miles today, and the level is down ALMOST to the minimum line. I know this is not a lot of volume, but I can't see any oil leaking out around the inner side of the axel. Does anyone know if this lowering of level is common, or might I have a leaking seal, or ??? Any thoughts, or knowledge, would be greatly appreciated!
Gary
garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
After my brake recall was done, I had to add gear oil a couple of times before it all worked in and stabilized.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #8

While working on the underside of our '07 with 20,000 miles, I discovered a film of oil and dust covers practically the entire undercarriage. THIS IS A FIRE HAZARD!!! Engine and transmission are leak free, but the inside of the front rims are thick with oil/dust residue, which would seem to indicate the inner hub seals are leaking. This coach didn't get a lot of use - or maintenance - and I suspect the seals have dried out a bit. The oil level on each side was at or below the minimum on each wheel when we bought it.

Does anyone know if this is typical on the WH chassis?? I do not want to replace seals if this is just a design flaw we all have to just live with!

I drained the hubs yesterday, and refilled them with Lucas Hub Oil, which claims to stop leaking seals and fix a plethora of other hub-related problems. And yes, it does take some time for that thick oil to settle to being level!

I sure would appreciate hearing others' experience with this leaking issue, and how they dealt with it!
Gary
Old 10-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #9

While working on the underside of our '07 with 20,000 miles, I discovered a film of oil and dust covers practically the entire undercarriage. THIS IS A FIRE HAZARD!!! Engine and transmission are leak free, but the inside of the front rims are thick with oil/dust residue, which would seem to indicate the inner hub seals are leaking. (I can't believe I totally overlooked all this oily residue before!! I was just focused on the inner hub are, and was looking for fresh oil. Good thing I'm not a doctor, eh?!)

This coach didn't get a lot of use - or maintenance - and I suspect the seals have dried out a bit. The oil level on each side was at or below the minimum on each wheel when we bought it.

Does anyone know if this is typical on the WH chassis?? I do not want to replace seals if this is just a design flaw we all have to just live with!

I drained the hubs yesterday, and refilled them with Lucas Hub Oil, which claims to stop leaking seals and fix a plethora of other hub-related problems. And yes, it does take some time for that thick oil to settle to being level!

I sure would appreciate hearing others' experience with this leaking issue, and how they dealt with it!
Gary
Old 10-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #10

I've driven 1600 miles since I've drained and refilled the front hubs with Lucas Hub Oil. I filled them to the center of the rubber plug several times, before driving the coach. The level has now settled - and held - at about the half-way point between the "minimum level" ring, and the center of the rubber plug. I also notice that a small amount of oil is being slung toward the outer portion of the rims, and is coming through the holes in the Alcoa wheels. The Hub Oil has remained at this level long enough for me to conclude that THIS is the proper level at which to fill the hubs, and, that the Lucas Hub Oil has apparently softened up the formerly leaking seals. Hope this helps "Ya'll"!
Gary
Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyvont View Post
I've driven 1600 miles since I've drained and refilled the front hubs with Lucas Hub Oil. I filled them to the center of the rubber plug several times, before driving the coach. The level has now settled - and held - at about the half-way point between the "minimum level" ring, and the center of the rubber plug. I also notice that a small amount of oil is being slung toward the outer portion of the rims, and is coming through the holes in the Alcoa wheels. The Hub Oil has remained at this level long enough for me to conclude that THIS is the proper level at which to fill the hubs, and, that the Lucas Hub Oil has apparently softened up the formerly leaking seals. Hope this helps "Ya'll"!
Gary
Gary: the bottom of the hole into which the rubber plug is inserted is the MAX oil level. Any oil above the bottom of the plug hole will eventually weep out around the plug and generally make a mess on the outside of your wheels.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote