Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #1

Just brought home a W22 chassis Newmar Canyon Star 08 and already had a problem with the airflow intake (MH bucking, engine light went on, raining at the time). Reading through the posts it looks like there are some very common problems with the W22. Anyone brilliant enough to consolidate them into one place for my simple mind would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - I am majorly technically challenged.

What are the usual annual maintenance items that people perform, and how much should I expect to pay if bringing to a WH dealer??
filters/plugs/fluid/lubing/alignment/brakes etc. etc.

TIA
doko
doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #2

Just brought home a W22 chassis Newmar Canyon Star 08 and already had a problem with the airflow intake (MH bucking, engine light went on, raining at the time). Reading through the posts it looks like there are some very common problems with the W22. Anyone brilliant enough to consolidate them into one place for my simple mind would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - I am majorly technically challenged.

What are the usual annual maintenance items that people perform, and how much should I expect to pay if bringing to a WH dealer??
filters/plugs/fluid/lubing/alignment/brakes etc. etc.

TIA
doko
Old 07-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doko:
filters/plugs/fluid/lubing/alignment/brakes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>doko,
Please use this provided link to download a FREE Workhorse Motorhome Chassis Guide. You will need to register on workhorse.com and once you do that, look for the "My Motothome" feature. You will be able to find out all the hardware, weights and dates that pretain to your chassis.

Thanks for joining us herre on iRV2.com and please come back and visit us often.

Click on the graphic above for the FREE downloadable Chassis Guide.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Here is a pointer to my maintence thread WHSC, RV Dealer or DIY
Old 07-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no problem that I am aware of with the W-22 and rain.. There is, however, a very well known problem with SOME BODIES on the W-22 and rain, Water gets tossed up in front of the "Tuba" (Air Intake) and sucked into the engine causing just the problems you cite.

The problem is not, however with the W-22 it is with the house. I have driven rain, shine and snow. And I do not have that problem. If the problem was with the W-22 I'd have the problem. The first I knew about it was when Workhorse told me about it!

There is a fix, Or two, However since I do not have the problem I can not help you.

Speak with your coach manufacturer They caused it, They should fix it.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
doko welcome to irv2
The water problem has been covered muchly.
This "LINK" will help you out and show pictures, on page three, of weather strip and the now new CAI I have installed from Brazels. As you will see the strip is still in thats to protect the wipper motor and plug for wire plug to motor.
Enjoy the forums and congrats on your new Newmar.
You won't feel challenged majorly or other wise you will feel good because the fix,weather strip, will make you feel that way.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 AM   #7

Thanks for a good start. I checked out some of the links and seems that there is a whole lot more in terms of maintanence and prevention. There was a nice post labeled "are your problems preventable".

This is the kind of info Im after. This might be a comprehensive list of annual maintenance items (maybe no one has - but we should).

This also might include common preventable issues. It seems that the plug wires issues are extremely common - but no one talks about prevention. Are these failures preventable or do we just wait until we are stuck on the side of the road waiting to be towed again and again, until finally a vent kit gets put in??

There's gotta be a better way.

doko
Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doko:
Thanks for a good start. I checked out some of the links and seems that there is a whole lot more in terms of maintanence and prevention. There was a nice post labeled "are your problems preventable".

This is the kind of info Im after. This might be a comprehensive list of annual maintenance items (maybe no one has - but we should).

This also might include common preventable issues. It seems that the plug wires issues are extremely common - but no one talks about prevention. Are these failures preventable or do we just wait until we are stuck on the side of the road waiting to be towed again and again, until finally a vent kit gets put in??

There's gotta be a better way.

doko </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some coach manufacturers do not allow enough airflow in the engine compartment which causes heat buildup to burn the wires. Workhorse has a engine bay vetilation kit to overcome the shortcommings of coach builders that have caused this problem. Several have documented their own ventilation systems in this forum also, some with a full set of step by step how-to photos.