Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2006, 03:41 AM   #1

What is the max tire pressure limit on these wheels? Know we are not anywhere near at 90 rear and 95 front after weighing, but just wondering. This rig came with the 110 rated tires. Thanks, Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:41 AM   #2

What is the max tire pressure limit on these wheels? Know we are not anywhere near at 90 rear and 95 front after weighing, but just wondering. This rig came with the 110 rated tires. Thanks, Richard
Old 11-08-2006, 04:43 AM   #3

TEXANS: All of the wheels, both Alum. and steel, used in both 19.5" and 22.5" sizes are rated to carry 5,000 POUNDS each, according to the chassis guide. This guide does not state a max. Pressure, which I believe was your question. If you look carefully at your wheels, I THINK the max pressure MAY be stamped in them, but I'm guessing it is 120psi. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Your confusing me here, are we taking about wheels or tires? wheels equal rims one of the same tires are mounted on wheels. To equal the same amount of carrying capacity as steel the aluminum would have to be considerable bigger or with a lot of alloy.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your confusing me here, are we taking about wheels or tires? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was replying to the question about the wheels, NOT the tires. Again, according to the chassis guide, BOTH the steel and the Aluminium wheels in the 19.5 and 22.5 sizes are rated to carry 5,000 pounds each. I cannot comment on the amount of metallic material needed for the Alum. to equal the carrying capacity of the steel wheel. However, I attended a seminar put on by the Alcoa folks at the WCMC rally, and THEY said the Aluminium wheels are lighter and disipate heat better than the steel wheels-and are therefore superior to steel for MH applications where weight and heat are concerns. They also were promoting their newest finish, called Dura-Brite II, which is claimed to have more of a polished look than the original Dura-Bright finish. ED
Old 11-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">wheels equal rims one of the same tires are mounted on wheels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Your confusing me here," ED
Old 11-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Ed, not disputing they are better (aluminum) they are better in every application to steel. Just more expensive. In most industries as well. We use aluminum or steel depending on cost at the time we buy it. They both fluctuate so much now. A month ago aluminum was cheaper than steel.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:00 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">wheels equal rims one of the same tires are mounted on wheels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Your confusing me here," ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I give I give. But on the other side you can mount a tire on a rim, or on a wheel

I need to get out on the road again, been in the mid ninety's for several days now. That's it I'm leaving for the beach. Golly, life is beautiful.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #9

Thanks Ed, I had looked at the wheels on the inside without pulling the liners and could not see a pressure limit, maybe someone has. 22.5 size. Richard
Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But on the other side you can mount a tire on a rim, or on a wheel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too have called the metal tire support mechanism by both names. Turns out we are both wrong, at least according to WEBSTER'S. It says the rim is the "outer ring of a wheel". Who Knew? ED
Old 11-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But on the other side you can mount a tire on a rim, or on a wheel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too have called the metal tire support mechanism by both names. Turns out we are both wrong, at least according to WEBSTER'S. It says the rim is the "outer ring of a wheel". Who Knew? ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could not help myself Ed, here is your real answer:

Rim is an old-fashioned term that was used when referring to wagon wheel - thus the term "wheel rim." It means the outer-most edge of the wagon wheel where there was a steel band the surrounded the wooden spokes. The dictionary defines a rim as:

1. The usually curved or circular border or edge of an object.
2. The circular outer part of a wheel, furthest from the axle.
3. A circular metal structure around which a wheel tire is fitted.

Rim, n. [As. rima, reoma, edge; cf. W. rhim, rhimp, a rim, edge, boundary, termination, Armor, rim. Cf. Rind.] 1. The border, edge, or margin of a thing, usually of something circular or curving; as, the rim of a kettle or basin. . . the outer part of a wheel to which the tire is attached.

The correct term these days for identifying the metal structure that the tire goes on is wheel or wheel rim.

Aluminum rims and alloy wheels also mean the same thing. Alloy is a shortened version of aluminum alloy and, when referring to either an alloy wheel or an aluminum rim, both terms mean the same thing.

Most modern tire and wheel shops use these terms:

Aluminum or alloy wheel - as opposed to aluminum or alloy rim

Wheel - as opposed to rim or wheel rim

Steel wheel - as opposed to steel rim or metal rims

Now I have to finish getting ready to leave for the beach. As long as it stays nice like this I won't be back. At least not for a few days.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #12

I think I shall now just cry Uncle! ED
Old 11-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #13

My head is hurting reading all of this. I didn't think I would have to do any thinking while on vacation. Just to add a wrench in the works, some farm machinery (such as a combine) calls the outer ring the rim and the center section is called the hub or support. Usually they are welded together and cannot be separated so we commonly call the whole assembly a wheel. The tires are mounted on the wheels. This may not be Webster's version but it is a common name in the farm belt. We had a wheel break this harvest season, almost wrecking the combine, and a new wheel was $375 dollars. A new tire was $450. OUCH!!! And this was the small wheels on the back of the combine. I don't want to think about the cost of the big wheels on the front.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:03 AM   #14

Still wondering if anyone has seen what the tire pressure limit is on the 22.5 steel wheel? Thanks, Richard