Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #1

W22 suspension

2003 w22, when I park it it is level, the next day the drivers side has dropped.
Is it a shock absorber hanging up and then slowly going down or something else ? Shocks, springs, everything looks ok.
Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #2

Ok , yours is a strange one .

Shock absorbers ; most have a gas charge over the oil, that prevents the oil foaming on rough roads . But they don't pump up or support much weight , the springs support the chassis weight .
If the gas leaks out , the oil isn't far behind and oil around the shaft indicates the need for replacement .

That being said , have you ever taken note of how far you have to drive before the coach sits level ?
Are you only noticing this situation when parking in one particular spot ?
Have you done any , ground to frame measurements , when first parked , and compared them to measurements taken when the coach sits off level ?
Old 08-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #3

Suspension settling ?

When I leave a campground the unit is level. When I stop it is still level. However after a little time the drivers side goes down and I need to operate the HWH levers to straighten it out. It is not out of level a lot, looking at the front it is down about 5 degrees and I only need to apply a little pressure on the drivers side cylinders to have a bubble level return to level. It is straight and level when going down the road and when making short stops.
When I got to the last campground I check with my 36" carpenters level as I always do and the RV was sitting level without the need for blocks or leveler cylinders but the next morning it looked out of level and when I check it was down that little bit. So I lifted the drivers side just a little to level it out. (see attachment)
If it was a spring or shock it would always be down on the drivers side. I have inspected all of the suspension and shocks and nothing is leaking or bent or broken. I was hoping that someone else had experienced this and had an explanation. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05245.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	341065  
Old 08-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #4

Ok , so it's a problem after the HWH levelers have been deployed and sat overnight .
So LF jack has a slight leak down ? Correct ?

Or am I still not understanding the issue ?
Old 08-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ok , so it's a problem after the HWH levelers have been deployed and sat overnight .
So LF jack has a slight leak down ? Correct ?

Or am I still not understanding the issue ?
-------------------------------------------
NO, it goes down BEFORE I use the levers, the HWH levers will lift it and they hold and do not leak. I have had the levers extended for as long as two weeks and they do not move. It would seem to be in the suspension, perhaps the wind shifts the weight to the side. Why it is level after a long ride and then tilt after several hours when stopped I do not have a clue, it is a total mystery.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
Why it is level after a long ride and then tilt after several hours when stopped I do not have a clue, it is a total mystery.
That's a mystery to me too .
Just to eliminate the shock absorber , maybe remove the LF shock , go for a very short drive , then park the RV , and see what happens.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo19Irv View Post
NO, it goes down BEFORE I use the levers, the HWH levers will lift it and they hold and do not leak. I have had the levers extended for as long as two weeks and they do not move. It would seem to be in the suspension, perhaps the wind shifts the weight to the side. Why it is level after a long ride and then tilt after several hours when stopped I do not have a clue, it is a total mystery.
I agree this is a strange situation. I doubt the shock is capable of keeping the coach from "sagging" when parked.
I'm wondering if this MAY be caused by a "weak" leaf spring that loses some of it's strength after it has a chance to cool down after losing some travel-induced heat. I realize that the springs don't get really hot while in use, even on bumpy roads, but heat loss is about the only thing I can think off.
Please let us know if you ever solve your mystery
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #8

Just a wild guess, but is it possible that, without the levelers down, the slideout on that side is causing the chassis to lean?
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low tire air pressure on left front?
Old 08-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #10

I will check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post
Just a wild guess, but is it possible that, without the levelers down, the slideout on that side is causing the chassis to lean?
------------------------------------------
I will check that out, sounds like it could be it.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #11

Problem solved

Retired Bob you had the answer. When I park in a level paved lot the RV is level so I think I do not need to lower the levers and I can run out the slides, However, the weight of the slides on the drivers side cause the RV to tilt on that side. I will need to lower the levelers before I put the slides out.
SO thank you Bob you had the answer.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:10 AM   #12

Glad the problem is solved. Happy camping!
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, w22