Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
W24 engine no start

I just returned from a 12 day trip with my 2007 Itasca 35A Sunrise, W24 chassis. I experienced 2 no start situations, no dash panel lights, nothing, totally dark. I tried the engine boost start switch but it also did nothing. I checked the battery voltage on both house and chassis which showed 12.7 volts. The voltage should have been higher as I had driven the rig for about 1 hour. My fridge runs off the inverter and alternator when driving. I started the generator and charged the batteries for about 5 minutes. The engine started right away. The alternator was putting out about 14.9 volts, all was fine. The same thing happ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2022, 01:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No start

I just returned from a 12 day trip with my 2007 Itasca 35A Sunrise, W24 chassis. I experienced 2 no start situations, no dash panel lights, nothing, totally dark. I tried the engine boost start switch but it also did nothing. I checked the battery voltage on both house and chassis which showed 12.7 volts. The voltage should have been higher as I had driven the rig for about 1 hour. My fridge runs off the inverter and alternator when driving. I started the generator and charged the batteries for about 5 minutes. The engine started right away. The alternator was putting out about 14.9 volts, all was fine. The same thing happened again on the way home.

Could a faulty trombetta switch cause the "no start" situation? Both times the engine started after receiving a small charge from the generator.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:34 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was your fridge on when you tried to start the coach ?
There could be enough draw from it to lower your voltage and not let the ignition circuit perform as it should.
Try turning the fridge off and then hit the key.
Tell us if this worked.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2014 Chrysler T&C, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Mike. I had the MH plugged in all night and all batteries were showing 13.1 volts. The engine started fine. The alternator is putting out 14.9 volts and is now also charging the house and chassis batteries. I shut down the engine, turned on the inverter, started up the fridge, then restarted the engine. All is fine, I can't seem to duplicate the problem at the moment but your comment about lowering the voltage makes a lot of sense. When I had the no start situation, the voltage was only 12.7 on all batteries. Would a faulty Trombetta switch cause this kind of scenario?
Old 09-20-2022, 02:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PS: Yes, the fridge was on when I first started the coach., but no generator. The second time I also had the fridge on but the generator was charging the batteries so the power from the battery charging probably helped to boost the batteries enough to help with the start? Just guessing.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try unplugging from pedestal and gen off.
Turn fridge on and try to start the coach = test 1.
Turn fridge off and try to start the coach= test 2.
Perform tests with a cold engine.
Tell us how the starter sounds if different.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2014 Chrysler T&C, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No difference in sound of starter between tests. Engine starts very well when working properly or not at all.

I had to move the rig to my parking area. I turned on the inverter plus fridge for the drive. I tested the voltage and discovered that the engine alternator was charging the chassis battery but not the house batteries. I then drove about 8 miles to park and checked voltage again before shutting down the engine. The house batteries were not charging at all, voltage was down to 12.4. Chassis battery was showing about 14 V with input from the alternator. Earlier today, the alternator was charging the house batteries and chassis battery together so it would appear that I have an intermittent problem. Could it be the Trombetta switch? My battery boost switch does not work either. Derek
Old 09-20-2022, 06:04 PM   #8

How old are the starting battery ? Drive rv to any good auto parts store and they will test for free.. there is much more than just testing voltage.. they have new very expensive battery testers and you just don't know... how many people feel their batteries are ok.. because they put meter on them.. so you need to know .. the aux start will not perform as well with bad battery.. how old are house batteries ? It's free and easy.. have them all tested.. and while there.. they can check alternator and starter too.. free and you are there.. all while in the rv.. you don't have to break a sweat..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-20-2022, 08:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All three batteries were brand new one year ago.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:30 PM   #10

Alternator charging at 14.9 volts could be a problem 14.1, 14.2 volts should be maximum .

Even a new battery could be damaged by constant over charging .
Old 09-20-2022, 09:33 PM   #11

Maybe have new batteries checked ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-22-2022, 05:00 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will have batteries tested tomorrow. I have also ordered a new "Trombetta solenoid as I suspect it might be the reason my house batteries are not being charged by the alternator as well as the engine boost switch not working. I will update this thread with any findings. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Batteries tested at a battery shop, two 6v, 242ah plus one 12v all checked out very good. Replaced battery cables plus cleaned every ground terminal on bus behind batteries. I also replaced the Trombetta solenoid. Engine started fine and alternator started charging the 12v chassis + house batteries. I turned on the inverter plus fridge and alternator is now charging all the batteries.

One question: If the Trombetta solenoid was faulty, would this fault have allowed the inverter to draw power from the chassis battery? If so, this would explain the "no start" situations.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
Batteries tested at a battery shop, two 6v, 242ah plus one 12v all checked out very good. Replaced battery cables plus cleaned every ground terminal on bus behind batteries. I also replaced the Trombetta solenoid. Engine started fine and alternator started charging the 12v chassis + house batteries. I turned on the inverter plus fridge and alternator is now charging all the batteries.

One question: If the Trombetta solenoid was faulty, would this fault have allowed the inverter to draw power from the chassis battery? If so, this would explain the "no start" situations.

I dont believe a bad Trombetta solenoid would allow the inverter to connect to the chassis battery. It could be possible though depending on what the actual failure was.

Glad you got it fixed.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, no start