Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WH Brake Caliper Replacements

Has anyone purchased the Bosch caliper (#4153269) replacement from B&W Brakes in Kansas City, MO ??

How was your experience?

Were they new or rebuilt units??
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
yes I have.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Flytyer, I believe most of the bosch calipers on the market today are rebuilt. Theres very few OEM calipers left on the market today. Personally I prefer the rebuilt because the new piston material is superior to the old defective ones. 135.00 seems a little steep. They come with pads yes,but how about the shipping and return shipping? Unless your local it probably would be cost effective to buy them at napa. I was told by a napa emplyee that their main supply for the bosch caliper is from kansas city. Hummm? You can also try to find a local rebuilder and approach them for assistance as I did. I purchased the same 9001 caliper for 84.50 tax included without pads. My pads did not need to be changed. Its a good thing I replaced my calipers before my last trip because the 9% grades in the catskill mountains would have dune me in for shure. The new calipers should be good for many many years to come regardless of the recall outcome. Good Luck to you.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelman View Post
My pads did not need to be changed. Its a good thing I replaced my calipers before my last trip because the 9% grades in the catskill mountains would have dune me in for shure. The new calipers should be good for many many years to come regardless of the recall outcome. Good Luck to you.
angelman, I expect that if the pads were matched to the same rotor that you can reuse them however I would be suspect that in time you might experience a disproportional amount of brake squeal but ya never know. When you have the campaign done of your vehicle I would insist that the rotors and pads are true and that you depart the shop with as new of a condition as possible.

Your assessment that the re-manufactured or OE "like new" calipers will operate for many years without problems is true and its one of the variables that is so frustrating with the older formulation of phenolic; You just can't put your finger on when they will fail but it's not going to happen tomorrow or next year....
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #5

HEY FLYTYER
I did the B&K brake thing when they were $95 ea. with pads. They seem to be okay but as DriVer says after the recall happens they wont be worth the boxes they came in. At the original price they were a marginal deal, but as the demand went up also the price went up. Doing the work myself I had about $450 in 4 calipers with pads and new brake fluid. Good Luck with your (our) dilema.
dave smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave smith View Post
HEY FLYTYER
I did the B&K brake thing when they were $95 ea. with pads. They seem to be okay but as DriVer says after the recall happens they wont be worth the boxes they came in. At the original price they were a marginal deal, but as the demand went up also the price went up. Doing the work myself I had about $450 in 4 calipers with pads and new brake fluid. Good Luck with your (our) dilema.
Dave, I spoke with the local dealer here and he told me that they are getting $105.00 for cores and OE calipers are what they are really looking for. When you buy a reman, you could be getting who knows what however the rebuilders are getting and wanting a Bosch core.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #7

Hey DriVer
I did not have to send a core on the remanufactured calipers I got from B&K. They told me they had purchased all the available calipers from the first recall workhorse had in 2003.
dave smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave smith View Post
I did not have to send a core on the re-manufactured calipers I got from B&K. They told me they had purchased all the available calipers from the first recall workhorse had in 2003.
As far as I know, the service centers are being asked to return cores however that might be different from one place or another. The re-man place in NJ, NASTRA was asking for cores and they will charge you for them.

When Bosch went from ZOPS to ZOHT I expect that a bunch of on the shelf ZOPS calipers because a liability so those were probably sold off in huge lots to whomever wanted to buy them. Applying the recall kit and restocking the calipers brought them up to ZOHT specs. and I expect that a number of those are being sold as remans.

We have a Bosch pin slide manual (PDF) here in the forum so you can see what the differences are.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all who provided input. I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I have decided to replace all calipers with the B&W product.

I decided to do this because I want to be in control of my situation and move on.

I am fully weary of the WH delay and how they speak and treat you when you call in for assistance....I do not like being told that because of high call volume the call must end...click!!

I fully expect that WH will follow Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmoble, etc. before the recall even starts,...but I'll deal with that later.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYTYER View Post
Thanks to all who provided input. I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

I have decided to replace all calipers with the B&W product.

I decided to do this because I want to be in control of my situation and move on.

I am fully weary of the WH delay and how they speak and treat you when you call in for assistance....I do not like being told that because of high call volume the call must end...click!!

I fully expect that WH will follow Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmoble, etc. before the recall even starts,...but I'll deal with that later.
You may be correct, to treat your customers poorly in a down market is a sure recipe for disaster.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Follow UP

My mechanic started the caliper replacement process today. The front units were changed without any problem.

The rear rotors showed evidence of brake drag similar to the photo I borrowed from the Workhorse recall interim information. The calipers were red in color and the piston seals showed cracking

I replaced both rotors and on the advice of the mechanic he replaced the rear axle bearing seals as well.

I obtained the rotors and seals from a nearby WH Service Center.

The mgr told me that he fully expects WH to declare bankruptcy by September. He also said that he will not do any warranty or brake work on a WH chassis without first being paid by WH. They also have been told to inventory all WH parts....hmmm!

The other WH Service Center has given up its WH relationship and returned all parts in the past 10 days.

Anyway I have photos, old parts, and receipts with which I will try to get WH to refund some $$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boschbrake05.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	4858  
Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
The mgr told me that he fully expects WH to declare bankruptcy by September. He also said that he will not do any warranty or brake work on a WH chassis without first being paid by WH.
Ted, Please see this press release posted in the RV Industry News.

Monaco RV Debuts New Products at Dealer Congress

Please note the "About Navistar" forward looking statement.

Given the rumor from the disgruntled service establishment or the inclusion in the Press Release from Navistar that Workhorse is a fully engaged entity in their RV business model, I'm going with the Navistar corporate PR.

I honestly believe that the rumor of the demise of Workhorse is premature. Come and see me at the Giant Center in September and we'll talk about it.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry Mike, but I do not buy it...it is nothing but PR !! Why do you think it is called PR?

I predict it is TOO late for WH to survive their suicidal approach regardless of how much PR is thrown at the public...some folks can be fooled all the time, but most folks are never fooled.

Overall the WH chassis's have been super for years and I really love mine, but the wake up call was simply missed or ignored by the WH management.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Sorry Mike, but I do not buy it...it is nothing but PR !! Why do you think it is called PR?

I predict it is TOO late for WH to survive their suicidal approach regardless of how much PR is thrown at the public...some folks can be fooled all the time, but most folks are never fooled.

Overall the WH chassis's have been super for years and I really love mine, but the wake up call was simply missed or ignored by the WH management.
Correct!
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote