Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2005, 07:16 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have finally had it with our MH. I have initiated the negotiations with WH to replace my MH and was hoping that someone out there has been through the same experience. Would appreciate only responses from those who have been there and done that.
Specifically, how was the swap out actually handled, what costs were involved and how were they calculated, and were you satified with the outcome.
Thanks,
Dick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2005, 07:16 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have finally had it with our MH. I have initiated the negotiations with WH to replace my MH and was hoping that someone out there has been through the same experience. Would appreciate only responses from those who have been there and done that.
Specifically, how was the swap out actually handled, what costs were involved and how were they calculated, and were you satified with the outcome.
Thanks,
Dick
Old 03-17-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've never heard of a chassis manufacturer buying back a rig. It's got to be unusual, since engine, tranny, suspension, axles, etc. are all fairly easily replaced if something is seriously wrong. Short of an improperly welded frame, its hard to imagine what they could not fix!

Please keep us all posted on how this works out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary, since WH warranties the chasis, as well as all the components, under their 3 year 36K miles,this includes the engine. In my case, the engine was already replaced and the "new" one is consuming one quart of oil per 250 miles.
All this with only 12K miles on the rig.
Dick
Old 03-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You sure have been thru alot, hope they make good an you can be a happy camper again.
Sounds to me they must have put in a rebuilt engine loosing quart in 250 miles. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Godfather:
In my case, the engine was already replaced and the "new" one is consuming one quart of oil per 250 miles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dick, I can see where this would be frustrating to have an engine that consumed a quart of oil every 250 miles.

Have you pursued any type of remedy to check the for the consumption of oil? It seems to me that the oil might be leaking out who knows. If it was the case that the engine was burning a quart of oil every 250 miles you would see a cloud of black smoke coming from the exhaust pipes like a J-79 on after burner.

More than likely if the oil consumption were that severe there would be oil in the exhaust tips to confirm that and possibly more on one side than the other and not just the normal soot we see in our pipes.

I hope this issue is resolved quickly and that you can be trouble free going forward.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:17 PM   #7

GODFATHER: Any chance the Banks system you added is a contributing factor?? ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Godfather:
In my case, the engine was already replaced and the "new" one is consuming one quart of oil per 250 miles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dick,

I have seen a few engines that do the same and it is usually a set of rings installed upside down. Hard to believe they can do that. But it does happen. It is starge but the Cat Converter will catch all the smoke for awhile and burn it off.

Winnobego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:05 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dick, just curious, but what was the cause of the original engine change...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:28 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I want to answer a few of the questions posted in the replies.

The original engine self destructed- most probably a result of engine over heating. WH added their engine air vent kit when the engine was replaced. I suspect the engine's primary computer also had a problem. The "engine service" warning light would come on after 3 hours of driving on almost every trip. But all other indications were normal, including temp.

The remanufactured engine has burned an excessive amount of oil from the get go. They performed an engine compression check, changed out plug wires, etc. but no fix. Blue smoke can be seen exiting the tail pipe.

I don't think the Banks system had anything to do with the problem. If anything, it should have helped the engine run cooler. In hindsight, it was a waste of money to install it. The only thing I got for my $2,400 was a noisy exhaust system.

I will keep you all advised on the buy back. Thanks for your interest,
Dick
Old 03-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dick, you may not want to be querried on this, but if you dont mind sharing, just what do you mean by "self destruct"?.. Did the engine seize, was there a part failure, piston, valve, rod?. Did it stop running?..Was the failure sudden, cumulative, catastrophic? Did they disassemble it before taking it back the factory, and "share the failure" with you?...Im not trying to "build a case" here, just interested as an old "Motorhead".. also, I have one of these motors, and just curious about what happened.. Thanks...rgr..
Old 03-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Godfather...
Your experience certainly qualifies as "unusual", in the context of my previous message. Heck, ONE engine failure is rare, so TWO bad ones has got to be well beyond merely unusual!

Keep us all posted on the resolution to your problems.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rgr, I experienced several engine anomolies- engine power down while on the interstate, check engine light illuminating, engine overheat condition. On the fateful day, I started toward Redding at 4:30 A.M. (to avoid any heat) and within 15 miles, the above conditions appeared with the engine misfiring and shooting flames out of the exhaust. At this point the engine lost power and I rolled to the side of the road. I grabbed the fire extingusher and put out the fire in the exhaust pipe tip. I would describe it as a fairly sudden and catastrophic engine failure accompanied by a lot of engine knocking.I do not believe WH did any analysis on what caused the problem, however, they did install an engine vent kit while they replaced the engine. By the way, WH has been very cooperative. I haven't had any repeat problems with the "new" engine but I just don't trust it since it is consuming oil at a high rate.
Hope this answers your questions.
Dick
Old 03-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the description Dick, as I said, it is just curiosity on my part..Must be sick feeling hearing and seeing things deteriorate like that..just "wingin'" it here, but sounds like a cooling system failure of some sort..head gasket(s) the cause, or the result.. Hope they get things on an even keel for you, soon.. Thanks again...rgr..