Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #43

what if 8th position in vin is the letter N ?
loose nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose nuts View Post
what if 8th position in vin is the letter N ?
The is no code "N" in the eighth position of a Workhorse Vin number. That space contains the codes for the engine type, and "N" isn't one of the codes used.. Are you sure you have a Workhorse chassis?? If you do, please post the last eight (8) digits ONLY of the chassis vin number; there are several of us who can get you the build sheet for your chassis.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #45

National RV Owners Club
To all of those who deny the existence of a Chevy P37 chassis, I own one. It's rigjt in my vin#. P3x is forward control chassis. P30 is under 16k, P32 is over 16k, and P37 is motor home chassis. When I buy chassis/engine parts I tell the auto parts store I have a P32 with a J envine code as P37 will not come up.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
To all of those who deny the existence of a Chevy P37 chassis, I own one. It's rigjt in my vin#. P3x is forward control chassis. P30 is under 16k, P32 is over 16k, and P37 is motor home chassis. When I buy chassis/engine parts I tell the auto parts store I have a P32 with a J envine code as P37 will not come up.
I'm sorry Sir, but I believe you are mis-reading the VIN # system.

ONLY the sixth position of the chassis VIN # contains the code for each chassis MODEL. The model P series chassis is always either a "3" or a "5" code in the sixth position. You are correct that the fifth position code of "P" means "forward control", and that the "7" in the seventh VIN# position means it is a "Motor Home Chassis". However, there never was a model P37 chassis, from either GM (Chevy) or WCC.

If you can find a document showing your chassis MODEL, you will see it shows your chassis model as "Pxxx32". It is the first and last two characters of the model number that determines which model you have. The three "x" I placed in my example are in lieu of the three actual digits that are the code for the length of the wheel base of the chassis, as built. I say "as built" because some coach builders modify the wheel base length to accommodate their floor plan requirements.

If you provide the last 8 digits (only) of your chassis VIN #, I will attempt to download the build sheet for your chassis, however some of the older Chevy chassis VINs did not get added to the WCC database, so I can't promise a result that will show you that what I posted above is correct. Regards,
Ed
Old 02-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #47

All I know is if you give the OP vin to Napa they will tell you it's a P30.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
All I know is if you give the OP vin to Napa they will tell you it's a P30.
As has been discussed here many times, parts counter guys and some mechanics use "P30" as a generic term, and some even refer to the P32 chassis as a "bread truck chassis" because GM made a similar chassis that was used under thousands of delivery vans. That does not change the fact that neither GM or WCC ever made a P30 model.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I'm sorry Sir, but I believe you are mis-reading the VIN # system.

ONLY the sixth position of the chassis VIN # contains the code for each chassis MODEL. The model P series chassis is always either a "3" or a "5" code in the sixth position. You are correct that the fifth position code of "P" means "forward control", and that the "7" in the seventh VIN# position means it is a "Motor Home Chassis". However, there never was a model P37 chassis, from either GM (Chevy) or WCC.

If you can find a document showing your chassis MODEL, you will see it shows your chassis model as "Pxxx32". It is the first and last two characters of the model number that determines which model you have. The three "x" I placed in my example are in lieu of the three actual digits that are the code for the length of the wheel base of the chassis, as built. I say "as built" because some coach builders modify the wheel base length to accommodate their floor plan requirements.

If you provide the last 8 digits (only) of your chassis VIN #, I will attempt to download the build sheet for your chassis, however some of the older Chevy chassis VINs did not get added to the WCC database, so I can't promise a result that will show you that what I posted above is correct. Regards,
Ed
Mine is pre WCC, it's a Gm Chevrolet so not being in the WCC database holds no bearing. I have used the GM vin decoder and it says the 7 after the P and the 3 calls it a P37 motor home chassis. The classification is P32 as far as parts and service goes as this is not dependent on whether or not it is a motor home or a UPS truck.
Regards...drop mic.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #50

Quote:
As has been discussed here many times, parts counter guys and some mechanics use "P30" as a generic term, and some even refer to the P32 chassis as a "bread truck chassis" because GM made a similar chassis that was used under thousands of delivery vans. That does not change the fact that neither GM or WCC ever made a P30 model.
Hmmm, I guess I missed something along the way then.

Vehicle Type: Auto/Light Trucks
Year: 1994
Make: Chevrolet Truck
Model: P30 1 Ton - Step Van
Engine: 7.4 L 454 CID V8

Vehicle Information from Decoder
Make: CHEVROLET
Vehicle Type: Truck
Model: P30
Engine Type: V8, 7.4L (454 CID)
Year: 1994
Assy. Plant: DETROIT, MI
Production ID: null
Body Type: MOTOR HOME Strip Chassis
Trim Level: null
Drive Line Type: RWD
Vehicle Class: Commercial Truck
Fuel Type: Gas
Engine Code: N
Manufacturer: General Motors
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #51

Note to self: stop trying to help people with chassis pre-dating WCC production. You obviously don't know anything about chassis built by GM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Note to self: stop trying to help people with chassis pre-dating WCC production. You obviously don't know anything about chassis built by GM.
Ed
Breath in,
Breath out,
Move On.

Hope all is well with you and yours. I miss the good old Workhorse days.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #53

P30 , P32 ,P37 ,P30 motorhome all seem to be lumped into one category when it comes to buying parts . I have found that most parts stores list the motorhome under a P30 chassis and then a bunch of different part numbers for the same part type with a detailed description of the part. You just have to pick the correct one.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Ed
Breath in,
Breath out,
Move On.

Hope all is well with you and yours. I miss the good old Workhorse days.
Hi Wayne. Thanks for your wise suggestion, Ill take it to heart. Say Hi to Roberta from Sue and me, and Happy New Year!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hi Wayne. Thanks for your wise suggestion, Ill take it to heart. Say Hi to Roberta from Sue and me, and Happy New Year!
I saw that on a Tee Shirt in New Orleans. I try to remember it but every now and then I forget.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I saw that on a Tee Shirt in New Orleans. I try to remember it but every now and then I forget.
It is actually some Jimmy Buffett lyrics