Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #57

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
By the way, how many of you have ever tapped your new oil filter out upside down onto a sheet of white paper? Ever hear of the tylenol scare? Think about it!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean there is Tylenol in oil filters??
Does that mean they are for high mileage motors to make them run better..
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #58

I took the advise of a few on here, and just completed my oil change with the NAPA Gold 1060 oil filter....it sure LOOKS nice!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #59

RE: filters. Isn't it odd that a new air filter can be inspected before use. The modern self-contained oil filter can't be inspected except for the mounting threads and sealing gasket. Contaminants have been found in every assembly line, mass produced product ever made. Worker discontent plays a large part, as in fingers found in W....'. burgers. Bring back the original cartridge style oil filter and I will use it. Then I won't worry about crooked or incomplete threads or threads torn up by a worn tap or loose tret from worn stamping equipment. And the filter cannister will stand up to road hazards.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T&W:
Then I won't worry about crooked or incomplete threads or threads torn up by a worn tap or loose tread from worn stamping equipment. And the filter cannister will stand up to road hazards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Retrogressing would be of little assurance that the filters would more worthy than a canister given that you can't see inside the filter media.

Personally, I'm appreciative of the fact that we've progressed beyond canister filter technology. That said, there remains a large installed base of canister type filters on modern equipment for any number of applications.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:15 AM   #61

Jayco Owners Club
T and W you can still use a canister filter. http://www.wefilterit.com/

Not a good idea for the modern engine IMO.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #62

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi 20 years ago when I worked on Bolnas dockside tugs (they drag the boxes around the port) they had straight 6 Scania engines fitted with centrifugal oil filters, we simply cleaned them once a month at service time. No other filtration was used, surprised nobody uses this method as it seemed to work well.

Olley
Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #63

Texas Boomers Club
Centrifugal filters are used on large industrial engines, but as secondary (bypass) filtration.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #64

I have been reading all the posts about oil filters.IMHO I like and have used for over 25000 miles,K&N performance gold oil filter.Heavy-duty canister(for rock&stone damage,550+psi brust strenght)To me the best is the 1" nut on bottom SO EASY to get OFF,no banged hands when filter wrench slips.Just use socket,extention and breaker bar,turn it off.The standard size#HP-1011,1 qt.#HP-3002.Yes the price is a little higher,but I feel the quality(made in USA)and the quick easy removal makes it worth it.
Soupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandy View Post
Isn't the real danger with filters made in China that they're painted with lead based paint?
That's why I don't let my grandkids chew on them!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #66

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All GM engines have an oil filter presure bypass valve in them. At high RPMs and when the oil is cold an amount of oil is bypassing the filter. IMHO the more filter media the filter has to pass oil through the less will be bypassed.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
All GM engines have an oil filter pressure bypass valve in them. At high RPMs and when the oil is cold an amount of oil is bypassing the filter. IMHO the more filter media the filter has to pass oil through the less will be bypassed.
One may also might attempt to make a case for any size filter in that if the oil is too viscous, it's only going to flow so fast therefore by-passing. The filter mounting's holes remain the same size and the pressure regardless of filter size remains constant whether a 1/2qt filter or a 2 qt filter is used.

Would that not be the case until the oil reaches a temperature where is begins flowing freely through the filter media?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #68

Keep those filters changed out on schedule!! As the engine ages and tolerances, or dimensional clearances begin to open up or widen, so too are changes taking place in the oil pump which cause it to deliver less volume. There comes a time when the oil pump will not develop enough pressure to bypass. It is then that a clean filter is most important. My take on large filters is that in extremely cold environments they may not allow full flow as quickly as the standard filter. It also presents a larger target to road hazards!! Good luck!!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
It also presents a larger target to road hazards!! Good luck!!
TandW, This is what I have come to find out from some of my contacts that it was indeed a concern. It's refreshing to get the same scuttlebutt from an alternate source without asking for it.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Speed racer is absolutly correct. The larger the filter the more crud can be filtered before it goes into the bypass mode. Always use the largest filter you can get. You can take this to the bank !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote