Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What was the last year for the P-30/32 Auto Park Brake?

I'm trying to verify the last production year for the dreaded Auto Park Brake on the P-30/32 chassis... can anyone tell me?
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post
I'm trying to verify the last production year for the dreaded Auto Park Brake on the P-30/32 chassis... can anyone tell me?
The correct answer to your question depends on which AAPB you are asking about.

The last model year to use the J71 AAPB system was 2004. The "new and improved" J72 AAPB was used for the 2005 model year P32 chassis, after which the chassis was discontinued.

There never was a P30 chassis. P30 is a common mis-nomer, but inaccurate nonetheless.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The correct answer to your question depends on which AAPB you are asking about.

The last model year to use the J71 AAPB system was 2004. The "new and improved" J72 AAPB was used for the 2005 model year P32 chassis, after which the chassis was discontinued.

There never was a P30 chassis. P30 is a common mis-nomer, but inaccurate nonetheless.
Ed
Thank you Ed! I had a 1998 Safari Trek, which is a great motor home, on the P32 chassis. I put 26K miles on it in 3 years and never had a problem with the APB... but lots of folks did. I kept spare parts with me, in case.
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #4

parkbrake

Cubflyer here. I have a 1999 Dolphin 5360 with the auto park just what are the problems people are having with this it looks to be a fairly simple unit. If you do have a problem with it stuck on and this will happen at a poor time can you not back it off on the cable providing it does not run over you, thanks
Cubflyer & Bebe 1999 dolphin 5360 and Scion toad
cubflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #5

parkbrake

Found wolf's thread for some interesting reading I maybe installing a manual lever in the future
cubflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

This amounts to a "trivia" response on the part of the AutoPark Library. We start by emphasizing that guys like Ed Gray and Driver have the best straight info on what happened when, which vin numbers etc., etc. We have never even made much of an attempt to gather that sort of data.

What we do have is recollections of stuff we've seen and heard about over the years concerning the various versions and morphs of autopark. We're bringing this up for purposes of interest as much as anything else.

We began our interest in AutoPark probably 12 or so years ago. Over these years, we've made so many ill-founded assumptions, that I'm glad I didn't really keep track of them. As an example, we went for some time thinking the early Version I (our own label) system that ran off of the power steering started in 89 and ran thru about mid 94. All of them (we thought) also had the ability to foot apply a pedal that would set the parking brake. We stumbled along believing that for some time until we documented a morph of that system which left off the foot pedal and instead supplied a yellow push pull knob to apply the brake (along with the PARK position on the shift lever. I don't think they made a lot of these and I'm sure the folks that got them wished they had also gotten the foot pedal. Anyhow, about 98 or so, the chassis (which by this time had a separate electric pump and reservoir to run the AutoPark), again morphed to a system where they removed the foot pedal and replaced it with the yellow knob. Just my opinion but this wasn't too brilliant the first time they did it - - and the idea did not improve with age.

Another thing we see somewhat randomly is the instrument panel which has NO AutoPark lite in the cluster. Not just an empty socket, but nothing at all where you would expect to find it. Sometimes these panels appear to have been manufactured for a diesel chassis, but are installed in a gasser - - sans AP lite.

Most pump/reservoir systems (mid 94 and later) are made by Parker - - a good outfit that provides excellent support to those of us in the RV area. Be advised tho, that they build several units that look just like what you may see on YOUR coach, but they have quite different valving in them - - often set up for things like the outdrive on a boat. If you buy one of these off of eBay to replace one on your mh you will be disappointed. They can be retrofitted tho.

Another outfit called MTE also makes pumps seen on the J71 equipped coaches. It looks quite different, and in my opinion isn't as good as the Parker - - They also fall short on the product support in my opinion. I would also add that they seem to come in more than one configuration so don't all look alike.

Some of the export stuff seems to be quite different from our domestic coaches. We've run across several Georgie-Boy units that are equipped with a right hand steering wheel for UK etc. I think many if not all are front diesel powered amongst other things. I get the impression they exhibit several changes from our domestic chassis.

In any event, we've become pretty cautious with our use of the words "never," and "always." Sure have gotten burned doing that on a regular basis.

Who knows? You may be driving a "one of a kind" and not even know it until you go to buy parts or start fixing it.

Variety is the spice, though.

oub

Tags
brake