Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi there, I hope this doesn't start a war but I feel the need to ask the question. I have the older P-30 chassis. My old motor had 120,000 miles when it quit. It only needed a timing chain and a head gasket. I rebuilt the motor anyway and now i will be doing that again.{Don't ask}. I used 10W30 Valvoline Max Life.and it helpped to reduce oil use 25%. I see that Workhorse has changed to 5W30 and now to 5W20 oil.The question: Which do I use with a brand new motor{454}??? I plan to keep this home a long time. One other question;Does the book say anything about oil sae in hot desert operation? A friend of mine is using 20W50 in his MH and tells me I'm the one whos cheese has slid of the cracker. He does have a older Mh and older engine so it may be ok for him but I'm not really concerned about his motor as much as MY new motor. Any ideas?
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi there, I hope this doesn't start a war but I feel the need to ask the question. I have the older P-30 chassis. My old motor had 120,000 miles when it quit. It only needed a timing chain and a head gasket. I rebuilt the motor anyway and now i will be doing that again.{Don't ask}. I used 10W30 Valvoline Max Life.and it helpped to reduce oil use 25%. I see that Workhorse has changed to 5W30 and now to 5W20 oil.The question: Which do I use with a brand new motor{454}??? I plan to keep this home a long time. One other question;Does the book say anything about oil sae in hot desert operation? A friend of mine is using 20W50 in his MH and tells me I'm the one whos cheese has slid of the cracker. He does have a older Mh and older engine so it may be ok for him but I'm not really concerned about his motor as much as MY new motor. Any ideas?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Comparing your rebuilt 454 to a new 8.1 is not what you need to do. I would suspect that the tolerances in the 8.1 are a lot closer than the rebuild. Check with your rebuilder to start with. But, if it were me I would use a good brand of 10w30.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">. A friend of mine is using 20W50 in his MH and tells me I'm the one whos cheese has slid off the cracker.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:21 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
I see that Workhorse has changed to 5W30 and now to 5W20 oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My '06 Workhorse manual says 5W-30 oil...I haven't heard of Workhorse changing to 5W-20 weight oil.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Capt. Dan If you are doing a complete rebuild, all new bearings, rings, hone cylinder walls etc. I would do as OEMTECH suggests us a good grade 10W30 motor oil. I have used Castrol GTX in every vehicle I have owned for years and have never had a problem, to go with this us a good oil filter not a cheap no name. Have run some vehicles for many miles with prescribed oil change intervals.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the replys. One other question,Dino or syn? I know that both valoline and castrol make syn too.After break-in or from the get-go? Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
I used 10W30 Valvoline Max Life.and it helpped to reduce oil use 25%. I see that Workhorse has changed to 5W30 and now to 5W20 oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Capt. Dan, I don't know what you've seen but Workhorse is not recommending the use of 5W-20 motor oil.

The recommended viscosity is 5W-30 motor oil. The optional recommended viscosity if the engine isn't subject to 0 or less temperatures F. is 10W-30.

Amsoil Series 2000 synthetic is 0W-30. Mobil1 is also a 5 or 10W-30 oil as well. Never less that 30 in all cases.

That's it!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay, so it's time for an oil change on our '07 Bounder. I look at the oil filler cover and it says to use 5W-30 oil. Then I look in the Workhorse manual that came with the coach and it shows a chart that says to use 5W-30 if the expected temperature range is -20 - +50 degrees F. For temps up to 100 degrees F it recommends 15W-40 oil. My friend who owns an automotive repair shop says to use 5W-30 as well.

So, which do I use when the summer temps here are hovering in the 100 degree range?
Old 05-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #10

First I have heard of Workhorse recommending 15w-40....ever!

My '06 manual says 5w-30.....even up to 100 degrees.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #11

WD,
If you rebuilt it with a flat tappet cam run 15-40 diesel oil in it (Rotella, Delo, DIII). These are the only oils left with sufficient ZDDP to not wear out the cam prematurely. All of the 5-30, etc. oils on the market today are GL-2 to GL-4 rated oils designed for use with the later roller cam engines. If you want more info on this get a June 2006 copy of HotRod magazine. There is an article on the Ilsac rated oils and their impact on flat tappet cams. The diesel oils are slowly having the ZDDP removed but their current levels are equal to or greater than the pre-Ilsac rated oils.
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan_Hepburn:
Then I look in the Workhorse manual that came with the coach and it shows a chart that says to use 5W-30 if the expected temperature range is -20 - +50 degrees F. For temps up to 100 degrees F it recommends 15W-40 oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>On Page 165 of my "Owner's Manual" is says, "Do not use "other" viscosity oils, such as 20W-50.

I have never seen where WCC recommends using 15W-40, in fact at every seminar including the one that will be presented here in Myrtle Beach this fall, Alan Stegitch will again tell us not to use anything over 10W-30 weight motor oil.

I run my vehicle in above 0 degree temperatures during all seasons. I use 10W-30 motor oil all the time. There isn't top end on temperature just a bottom end minimum. If you are going to be below 0 then you need to run 5W-30.

On Page 166 in the chart it says, "Do not use SAE 10W-40, SAE 20W-50 or any other grade of oil not recommended."

Straight 30W motor oil may be used if 5W or 10W-30 motor oil is not available at temperatures above 40 degrees F.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So I took another look at my manual this past weekend, and I have to say I definitely misread the chart - I was looking at the chart that was in the Diesel Supplement part of the manual! Now I can comfortably go out and buy some 5W-30 oil and not worry!

Thanks guys!