Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you answer, be aware that I have made an appointment to have mine changed in 10 days before we start on a two month, cross country trip.

Before owning a MH I never heard of changing the brake fluid. I used to race Corvettes and we did some horrific braking and, to the best of my knowledge, no one ever changed the fluid. Or maybe there was too much beer in my system and I didn't get the word.

From what I understand, water gets into the lines and when the brakes are used to the point of getting very hot, the water boils, turns to steam and you have no brakes.

This leads me to three questions.

1. How does the water get into a closed system in the first place?

2. Is this a problem that is more prevalent in high humidity areas, i.e., the southeastern states as opposed to the southwest where I live?

3. Have I just been lucky all of these years? If so, I'd rather be lucky than good any time.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you answer, be aware that I have made an appointment to have mine changed in 10 days before we start on a two month, cross country trip.

Before owning a MH I never heard of changing the brake fluid. I used to race Corvettes and we did some horrific braking and, to the best of my knowledge, no one ever changed the fluid. Or maybe there was too much beer in my system and I didn't get the word.

From what I understand, water gets into the lines and when the brakes are used to the point of getting very hot, the water boils, turns to steam and you have no brakes.

This leads me to three questions.

1. How does the water get into a closed system in the first place?

2. Is this a problem that is more prevalent in high humidity areas, i.e., the southeastern states as opposed to the southwest where I live?

3. Have I just been lucky all of these years? If so, I'd rather be lucky than good any time.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skipsor:
...Before owning a MH I never heard of changing the brake fluid... From what I understand, water gets into the lines and when the brakes are used to the point of getting very hot, the water boils, turns to steam and you have no brakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've never heard the "water" suggestion before. Changing brake fluid is a maintenance item, just as changing motor oil and transmission fluid. Brake fluid can "boil and burn" through the hard use over excessive miles, just a transmission fluid can, and lose it's effectiveness.

If you check the owner's manual you'll find there are suggested mileage intervals for all these items.

Most brake shops will recommend you flush and change the brake fluid when you replace brake linings, which puts this interval at +/- 50,000 miles.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Heuvelhorst:
I've never heard the "water" suggestion before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Paul, Brake fluid does absorb moisture; it's like oxygen and carbon monoxide. You can research this but that's just the facts as I know them. Brake fluid does not wear out BTW.

I changed my fluid at some 58,000 miles and I still have all my original brake parts.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Heuvelhorst:
I've never heard the "water" suggestion before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Paul, Brake fluid does absorb moisture; it's like oxygen and carbon monoxide. You can research this but that's just the facts as I know them. Brake fluid does not wear out BTW.

I changed my fluid at some 58,000 miles and I still have all my original brake parts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also water can accumulate in the brake hydraulic system by condensation, caused by wide temperature changes over a long period of time. Heavy or improper use of brakes can cause fluid to actually boil, which will cause moisture, and air bubbles to form in the system. Personally I like DriVer have never been particularly hard on brake, and have not yet changed the fluid in my motorhome. I think some owners suffer from a little overkill on some maintenance items.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Dieselclacker
Old 08-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Paul, Brake fluid does absorb moisture; it's like oxygen and carbon monoxide. You can research this but that's just the facts as I know them. Brake fluid does not wear out BTW. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the information... if you try, you learn something new every day. I stand corrected.

The point I was trying to make, even tho' wrong about the water, is that brake fluid can become contaminated and should be replaced.

Thanks for your explanations.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From page 73 of the Workhorse Chassis guide ---

BRAKE FLUID CHANGE
Although there is not a recommend service interval to change the brake fluid listed in your
Owner's Manual, the recommendation by a number of the brake manufacturers is every two to
three years. If the fluid becomes contaminated, change immediately. Use Delco Supreme No.
11 Hydraulic Brake Fluid (Dot No. 3) or equivalent.
New brake fluid is clear with a brown-orange tint. Brake fluid absorbs water and prevents it
from settling in lines causing damage. As water is absorbed, the fluid will darken to the point
that it appears to be almost black. This would be a good time to change the fluid.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote