Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #15

[/QUOTE]
When comparing I've found the Washington State scales are off varying from 10-15% o the high side.[/QUOTE]

I would sure hate to be the logging truck driver who drove on the scales with a load to find that the State's scales were 12,000 lbs more than his on board scales. That's half a load of logs.

Bob...wa7hra
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess the best thing about this forum is that everyone can have an opinion. That said here goes. The chassis makers and the coach builders must engineer the weight distribution of their vehicles to allow for stable road ability. Based on the data obtained they calculate and set the specification for load and tire pressure. Therefore, for the average Joe the axle weights are more than adequate to assure proper operation and safety. Weighing the individual wheels can perhaps make you have a warm and fuzzy felling, but if you stay within the weight and tire pressures spec'd for your coach, weighting the two axles should suffice. This can be accomplished at any truck stop for around $8 far less than the $50 quoted for four corner weighting. I weigh my coach each time we depart on an extended trip at a truck stop just off the inter-state. I fill up and drive directly to the scales. I weigh the two axles of the coach and also the two axles of the toad. Now I have documented proof that my coach is within the specified weight limits. Starting doing this after reading of some motor homers getting grief from the tire manufactories for being overload when they had tire failures. I guess it is like chicken soap, eating it may not get rid of a cold, but it sure can't hurt. Knock on wood, to date I have had no tire failures and therefore have not tested the merits of my system. Now if you are into racing, weighting the four corners and adjust the individual tire pressures would sure help to maximize your speed potential.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In Oregon and Washington, look for agricultural scales. This will be a little away from urban centers, but typically are always powered and are free. If you go after hours you will have the scales to yourself and can weigh each wheel (turn around as needed, etc).

NOTE: I am not talking about scales on the interstate, but those typically found on local state highways.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
What great ideas (or opinions if you prefer). I think I'll try the CAT scales and see how it goes first. Better to at least be thinking (and actually knowing) about the weights on the coach than guess.

Besides, I'm pretty anal about making sure the coach is going to be safe to drive. Hopefully the reasoning behind all this will never come about (blow out). Hope for the best but plan for the worst is our approach...
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #19

I often see our state police with 18-wheelers - mostly log haulers - pulled over to check their weight. I've never stopped to observe their methods, but it appears that they use portable scales that can be placed under each wheel. One of these days when I feel the need to check the weight on each wheel I'll call and ask them if they can accomodate an RV.

Like Driver, I anually check my coach and toad weight at a nearby CAT scale on I-20. Over the past two years weight on coach axels haven't varied by more than a few pounds, and were no where near the max allowed.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean & Eddie:
What great ideas (or opinions if you prefer). I think I'll try the CAT scales and see how it goes first. Better to at least be thinking (and actually knowing) about the weights on the coach than guess.

Besides, I'm pretty anal about making sure the coach is going to be safe to drive. Hopefully the reasoning behind all this will never come about (blow out). Hope for the best but plan for the worst is our approach... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good on you, mate.

A CAT scale installation usually has three scale platforms; this is for independently weighing all of the axle sets of a semi (steering, driving, and trailer) in one go. All three scale platforms are surrounded by a concrete apron. To weigh your coach properly, drive on such that each axle is on a separate platform, have the clerk weigh it, then drive around and do it again but this time position the coach so that all of the wheels on one side are on the apron. Then go inside, pay for & collect the two scale tickets, and do the math.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #21

The main reason for weighing the wheels independently is to see if you have one side of your rig light and the other side overloaded. You could have a 5000# axle limit and have 2000# on one side and 3500# on the other. Neither is over the 5000# but the total axle weight is 10% over the limit of 5000#. Our local grain elevator gave me all of the weights for $5.00.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
bsinmich,

I may be naive, but unless you require a bank vault in one of your basement storage compartment to store your gold bullion, I don't think there is much of a chance for a big difference between wheel sets weights on the same axle. The coach builders located items such as generators, holding tanks, fuel tanks, slides, refrigerators, etc. to balance the load on the chassis. May be if you always run with full holding and fuel tanks, six months of groceries, a complete NASCAR tool box, Etc., you may need to do so. Other than that, I still maintain it does nothing but give one a temporary warm and fuzzy feeling. As soon as you burn off fuel and LP, deplete fresh water, and eat a few meals the weight distribution will change once again. For my edification, what is the biggest difference you have recorded between axle sets?

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had mine weighed by Rv safety 321-453-7673

staff@rvsafety.org

Sal Avitabile