Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
>snip

The way i'm looking at it, the Taylors that i bought were more expensive than the ones you are quoting here. Hopefully i'm wrong but, this makes me want to believe they may be even less reliable.

>snip
My take as well.

EDIT: Seems like it's the plug boot that is the problem - I can't imagine they have that many different ones. The wire and core is different on their various wire styles, but I don't know about the boot.

The ones that burned up on mine the boot just crumbled away. Or it was holding on there but as soon as you touched it to remove it it just fell apart. Wow - cooked! That's when I went back to the oem heat shields for the boot. That was 10K ago. I have not tried to pull one off as of late. <shrug>

Our winne/itasca unit is wide open on both sides of the motor inside the front wheel-wells. Seems some of the units are more closed in.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Thanks Chris, I just ordered a set of the 72225.
I did plugs and wires in 2012, But dont remember where I bought the wires,( the boys at O'Reillys had never seen them) I am getting a slight miss, hope its the wires, if not I will do plugs also.. I should have them by the 14th and will repost
I installed them today. No more miss at the tail pipe. We shall see how long they last.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
I installed them today. No more miss at the tail pipe. We shall see how long they last.
Thanks for all the help.
Excellent. Hope it works out for you. I'm happy when I don't have to mess with it.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
30,000 miles ago I tried the Taylor extremes. Two wires burnt within 1500 miles. That's when I had the cooling vents installed, the 3" hose is aimed at the rear plugs. Taylor sent me two new wires to replace the burnt ones. The full set is stored in the basement with my other "might need" stuff. I am still running the originals . I have to believe installing the vents is the true fix. FYI the kit was installed by an otherized workhorse shop the kit included new wires too, I was lucky to get it done before they went out. I am told race cars use the same system for cooling their brakes, incase you are looking for the ducts and hoses .

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm going to hijack my own thread 😎

Why point vent hose at last plug?

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
Old 08-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I'm going to hijack my own thread 😎

Why point vent hose at last plug?

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
The rear two plugs on the drivers side (#5 and #7 cyls) seem to be the problem in most cases. I guess there is not enough air getting to the rear plugs and wires on either side, so the intent is to direct air from the added ducts toward the rear plugs. I would pay particular attention to aiming that left side duct so that the air flow is across both rear plugs.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Here's pic's of the warranty install that WH made on mine in 2006 after two episodes of burnt wires.

At the same time I had Taylor wire and UltraPower installed. No more missing and burping for 70,000 miles. But last year when the wires were removed, two or more pulled apart at the plug end. I now have the Extremes.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #36

I just pulled off all of the AC Delco wires yesterday and replaced the plugs with AC iridium plugs. Only one of the connectors pulled out of the boot and stayed on the plug tip (#8). Now just waiting for my new Magnums to shop up in the mail.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
F4, how many miles on your coach? How did your old plugs look? I bought a set of the same plugs you got but still trying to decide whether to change them now or wait. Will gap at 45. In July I traveled from Wisconsin to Tenn and back. I averaged 8-8.5 mpg (no toad, half tank of water, not a lot of stuff in storage bins) traveled somewhat light. I measured the mpg manually and also scan gauge ll. My coach has maybe about 39,000. Also trying to decide on what wires to buy so I will watch for your comments. 🤔
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #38

The old plugs actually looked pretty good. Nice and brown. I bought this coach a year ago with 35k miles on it so I don't know if or when the wires and plugs may have been changed. Wires were AC Delco and looked pretty good too.
Coach has 45k miles on it now. Spark plug change out was actually pretty easy. Wires are a little tough to get off the plug end, but they all came out and only one connector stayed on a plug. Pliers got it off no prob.

The Magnums are really nice wires. They have Delphi connectors with URV spec wires. The price is right too.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lopez View Post
F4, how many miles on your coach? How did your old plugs look? I bought a set of the same plugs you got but still trying to decide whether to change them now or wait. Will gap at 45. In July I traveled from Wisconsin to Tenn and back. I averaged 8-8.5 mpg (no toad, half tank of water, not a lot of stuff in storage bins) traveled somewhat light. I measured the mpg manually and also scan gauge ll. My coach has maybe about 39,000. Also trying to decide on what wires to buy so I will watch for your comments. 🤔

I'm not F4, but I just changed the original plugs and wires on our 2004 8.1 Workhorse yesterday. I am the original owner.
The original plugs were Denso brand. The coach has 59 thousand miles, and is 13 years old next month. The plugs looked surprisingly good. New they were gapped at .060". I checked the gaps of the old plugs today, they all fell within the range of .062" to .064". All the wear was on the center electrode, the ground electrodes looked like new on all plugs.
I replaced the plugs with AC platinums gapped to .045" instead of the Iridium plugs, reason being because I had been carrying around a set in the spare parts box for a number of years, bought before the Iridiums came out. I really believe after inspecting the plugs, that they would have made many more trouble free miles, perhaps even to 100K like the service manual says.
As for the wires, they also looked good, still flexible, no brittleness in wires or boots. I did manage to break loose one plug connector while removing them. The engine has never once missfired in the 59K miles I have driven it. I have been running with a 180 degree thermostat for about seven years. I was getting between 7 and 8 mpg while pulling my toad.
I installed Taylor extreme wires with the new plugs, they are prettier (blue), and cost about the same as original wires.
I really don't expect any great improvement in performance or mileage from the coach, as it was running perfectly, guess one could put it down as preventive maintenance.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, with the Taylor 72225 wires, do you still use the OE spark plug shields?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
jt
I did. The ones I ran with the heat socks burned up.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
jt
Yes, they slide right on.