Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2006, 03:32 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a question about which chassis I have. The MH is a 2002 Winnebago Brave 34D and when I compare my VIN to the VIN chart in the manual it states I have a W22 chassis (digit position 6 in my VIN is a M) but I thought I had a W20 chassis. I know the GVWR is 20,700 and that is why I thought I had a W20 but going by the VIN chart I have a W22. So I am confused as to what chassis I have, W20 or W22?

Any thoughts anyone?

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2006, 03:32 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a question about which chassis I have. The MH is a 2002 Winnebago Brave 34D and when I compare my VIN to the VIN chart in the manual it states I have a W22 chassis (digit position 6 in my VIN is a M) but I thought I had a W20 chassis. I know the GVWR is 20,700 and that is why I thought I had a W20 but going by the VIN chart I have a W22. So I am confused as to what chassis I have, W20 or W22?

Any thoughts anyone?

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JnGOnTheGo:
I have a question about which chassis I have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Your VIN# does not differentiate between the W20 and the W22. It does however change if it's lower or higher in GVW, example the W-16/18 and the W-24 use a different character in the VIN.

The GVW that you have written in your post of 20,700 pounds does in fact verify that you have a W-20.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:19 AM   #4

Mine's A W-20. I've never seen a Brave 34D with a W-22; not offered per my OEM brochure.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:21 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your VIN# does not differentiate between the W20 and the W22. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
DRIVER: I can see why "JnGOnTheGo" is confused. On page 5 of the the WCC "motor home chassis guide" it STATES that the number 6 in the sixth digit position of the vin means W-22. There is no explaination of what the number would be for a W-20, so it would appear to be an oversight by not including the W-20 along with the W-22 in the description of the "6" in the sixth digit position. The more recent version of the guide is the same way. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
There is no explaination of what the number would be for a W-20, so it would appear to be an oversight by not including the W-20 along with the W-22 in the description of the "6" in the sixth digit position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Early on when they were establishing the VIN# character for the W Series there was very little to differentiate the 20 and 22 because the 22 was the intent and the 20 was the reality. Exactly why there isn't a seperate character for a 20 still evades me but I'll see if I can come up with a different answer but I think that I'm probably very close to the reason why.

Basically a 20 has a Load range F tire and the 22 had a G. I bet there was hardly enough substance to differentiate this with a VIN# and it has stayed the same over the past 5 years.

Todays 20 is different that the 22 to a greater degree, more so than than tire ratings however the VIN# remains the same for both.

You're right, it can be confusing.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I believe our 03 Georgie Boy is a W20 but it has G load range tires.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #8

The SUREST way to determine which chassis you have, is to look at the WCC label which shows the GVWR and other weight ratings. It is "usually" placed on the wall left and aft of the driver's position. There should also be a "Service Parts ID" label which contains the codes for all the various sub-assemblys used in building your chassis. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #9

You should find all the number you want on a small metal plate, on the radiator , left side fassing
the front of the RV.

I also mesure the distance betwen center of tire tread on the front axel. it should be one the detail that is irrelevent!

Also the distance betwen the center hub of the front and rear axel! the Wheelbase, but be aware that sometime RV builder , cut the frame and ... add additional framing! to have a longer
WHeelbase... i did not beleived that... but it's realy the truth! and it seem to work ok! i never had any trouble with that situation!

My Trail-Lite 271 from R-Vison been done that way from the original P32 from WH 158 inchs to 190 inchs!
Alain Rheault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #10

I too am a bit confused. I looked up the VIN in the manual and thought I had a W22. When I bought it I thought it was a P series chassis and the myworkhorse site says it's a P32. With all the talk on this and other websites about W20 vs W22 is it possible my 2004 Southwind 36' is a P32?
What is the major difference between a P32, W20 and W22? I thought the P series had 19.5 wheels and the W series had 22.5 wheels, 3 entry steps (foldable) and the larger steering wheel (besides GVWR's).

oN EDIT: My GVWR is 22,000#, WCC model P32122.
y2kbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #11

It's possable you have a P-32. Take a look up under the front end. If you see coil springs with air bags in them. Its a P-32. The W series chassis has leaf springs. Also the P chassis only came with a 4 spd trans. The W series came with a 5 spd. Allison 1000 Trans. Both have same Vortec 8.1 engine. ANother thing the P chassis is an 18,000# chassis The W-20/22 are 20,000#/22,000# chassis.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
W20's come with 19.5 tires. I just bought one with the 19.5
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by y2kbaja:
I too am a bit confused. I looked up the VIN in the manual and thought I had a W22. When I bought it I thought it was a P series chassis and the myworkhorse site says it's a P32. With all the talk on this and other websites about W20 vs W22 is it possible my 2004 Southwind 36' is a P32?
What is the major difference between a P32, W20 and W22? I thought the P series had 19.5 wheels and the W series had 22.5 wheels, 3 entry steps (foldable) and the larger steering wheel (besides GVWR's).

oN EDIT: My GVWR is 22,000#, WCC model P32122. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is the spec page on the "P" chassis.

http://www.workhorse.com/Default.aspx?tabid=120

Here is the spec page on the "W" chassis.

http://www.workhorse.com/Default.aspx?tabid=122

Now is the 22,000 you are talking about the GCWR or is the the GVWR? Your model number does not match the "P" spec page.

So DRIVER what are the model numbers for the "W"s?

Winnobego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I think the P chassis has indepentent front suspension.

The W series uses an I-Beam straight axle.

Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote