Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: In considering the UFO, How important is the Front Door Entry option to you.
Front door opens up the cabin for more slideout and floorplan options. 27 51.92%
I like the side entry floorplans, why change a good thing. 25 48.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
OK here we go!

Everyone that participates here should already know that Workhorse has released its UFO or Universal Fuel Option chassis. The UFO gives the manufacturers the option to outfit their motorhomes with up to 3 engine options.

You the buyers are going to be the catalyst that will sway a dealership to buy a gas or diesel powered UFOs going forward for stock. Toward the end of 2007 and the beginning of Model Year 2008 we should see the options as being immediately available depending on order. At the present time the only show in town is gas. Next spring we should see a Cummins 6.7L ISB.

In the fall of 07 we should see a 6.4L Maxxforce International Truck & Engine V-8 turbo diesel option.

I have also included a few more questions please be so kind to respond to the entire poll.

Thank you!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
OK here we go!

Everyone that participates here should already know that Workhorse has released its UFO or Universal Fuel Option chassis. The UFO gives the manufacturers the option to outfit their motorhomes with up to 3 engine options.

You the buyers are going to be the catalyst that will sway a dealership to buy a gas or diesel powered UFOs going forward for stock. Toward the end of 2007 and the beginning of Model Year 2008 we should see the options as being immediately available depending on order. At the present time the only show in town is gas. Next spring we should see a Cummins 6.7L ISB.

In the fall of 07 we should see a 6.4L Maxxforce International Truck & Engine V-8 turbo diesel option.

I have also included a few more questions please be so kind to respond to the entire poll.

Thank you!
Old 09-29-2006, 05:09 AM   #3

A 6.0L Vortec with more power and torque than an 8.1L does not exist! Why would you then even offer a 8.1L...?

Specs:

6.0L Vortec Max: 345HP and 380lb-ft
8.1L Vortec: 340HP and 455lb-ft

You should really take a minute to check your facts before posting mis-information on these boards...
Goldsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goldsburg:
A 6.0L Vortec with more power and torque than an 8.1L does not "YET" exist! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe that I have my facts in order sir and thank you for joining us here in the Workhorse Custom Chassis Motorhome Forum. The purpose of the poll is to conjecture, a wish list if you will, so there is nothing here that is cast in concrete. I really appreciate that you choose to be with us so please do come back and visit and post often.

Just remember; "The Shadow knows!" and "Only your hair dresser knows for sure.".
Old 09-29-2006, 08:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Driver... As attested by my other post "Which Engine Poll", I was at first confused, until I went back and read the poll more closely.

I certainly see your point and see nothing wrong with your conjecture. As a matter of fact it's these types of things that make folks think and who knows, maybe even the manufacturers think a little.

Keep up the good work...
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:21 AM   #6

I'm a bit leary of a smaller bore gas engine such as the 6.0. I bet it has to wind up high to produce such HP and Torque, and I believe the power band would be maxed out.

The 8.1 Stump Puller for me!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I'm a bit leary of a smaller bore gas engine such as the 6.0. I bet it has to wind up high to produce such HP and Torque, and I believe the power band would be maxed out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It doesn't have to wind up as much as a V-10 Ford and its consequently quietier. Heads up against the V-10 in a Class C motorhome application the V-8 does very well. The current WCC Class C uses the 6.0L gas engine and the 4L85E transmission. The W16 also uses the 6.0L with the 4L80E transmission but that makes me wonder why the 85E couldn't be an option on a W16 since it has a greater GVWR & GCWR.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:04 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
We've never researched anything on a diesel, have never test driven one either--so it's difficult to come up with anything definitive on all of this. All I care about is where my short little legs are going to rest -- and will I fall out a front entry door?! (My nickel's worth -- due to inflation.)

Interesting survey though...does make one think a bit.

Rose
Old 09-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club

Oops...forgot to mention one thing. We parked next to a 'quiet diesel generator' at a race rally. T'ain't nothing quiet about it at 3 a.m. when it's right next to your bedroom window. I'd like to know where to get one!

Rose
Old 09-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm suprised that they're not offering the 6.6 GM / Isuzu diesel as an option but maybe those aren't made avialable in large enough quantities to be able to supply companies outside of GM.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #11

On the subject of gasoline generators:

I wish Onan and Guardian would use four-pole alternators that would allow the engine to run at 1800 rpm in direct drive. That would be a quieter generator set (but would require more engine displacement for the same kW).

The current crop of generators all use two-pole alternators running at 3600 rpm, which are belt-driven from an engine running at 2400 rpm (at least in my case).
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would like to see a the big 9.7 liter gas engine with a center door in a 34-36ft coach.

With a good gas engine I can not see the need or expense of a diesel.

If I can't have the 9.7 then the 8.1 will do fine.

I to would like to see an 1800 rpm genset.
George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mahlon:
On the subject of gasoline generators:

I wish Onan and Guardian would use four-pole alternators that would allow the engine to run at 1800 rpm in direct drive. That would be a quieter generator set (but would require more engine displacement for the same kW).

The current crop of generators all use two-pole alternators running at 3600 rpm, which are belt-driven from an engine running at 2400 rpm (at least in my case). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Huh... Didn't realize Onan was belt driven. I thought it was direct drive. I was told since my Generac is belt driven that they can run at a lower rpm because of the pulley ratio.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Onan does use belt drive in the smaller generators. These are DC generators rather than AC. They then utilize an integral inverter to inverter to AC output. This gives you clean sine wave output with an easy to regulate 60 Hz frequency because it's electronically controlled. The benefit to this is that the unit does not have to run at any given RPM to put out 60 Hz power. A traditional genset with 2 poles needs to see 3600 RPM at any load and a 4 pole needs to turn 1800 RPM. With the DC-to-inverter design the genset can run at a low RPM with light loads. This conserves fuel, adds to the engine's life, and makes less noise. The drawback is that at high loads it needs to rev up fairly high and those benefits go south pretty quick. They do this on gensets through 7500 watts because the inverters are easy enough to make in that size. The 7500 watt Onan Quiet Power Diesel on my 2004 40DP Allegro Bus is of that design. But, the 10,000 watt Onan Quiet Power Diesel on my 2007 42QRP Allegro Bus is a 4 pole constant 1800 RPM genset. I found it to be quieter than my 7500.

Okay - now, before this turns into a generator thread - back to the original question.

I'd voted for the Cummins ISB. I'm not buyimng a UFO because I now have a Spartan tag axle pusher (well it'll be here in two weeks anyway ). But, if I was in that market, that's the way I'd go. The ISB will give you better fuel economy and greater torque in a lower RPM band (750 ft-lbs in the 2007 spec ISB) compared to a gasoline engine that needs to rev more. That, and the less overall maintenance of a diesel make it the best choice. The ISB has done great in the FRED chassis and owners have verified in excess of 11 MPG on the 26,000 GVW 37' FREDs. The UFO has more to offer in the chassis department than the FRED so I predict the eventual demise of the FRED and it's replacement will be the UFO.

I've heard a few good things about the Cornbinder diesel though from mid-level truck owners. While it may be a nice engine, I'd prefer to stick with a known good engine rather than test something new. So, I vote for the Cummins diesel. But if I had to go back to gasoline, there's no better choice than the 8.1 Vortec.

That's the beauty of the UFO. An RV builder can offer a given "box", say an Allegro Bay, and the buyer simply picks diesel or gas and the RV builder doesn't have to switch models. That's going to be huge with the RV builders. That's why they'll jump on the bandwagon and make them available and before you know it, there'll be a ton of them on the street.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote