RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which of these Taylor Wires?

This one for about $80
Taylor Cable 79286 - Taylor 409 Pro Race Spiro-Wound Core Spark Plug Wires - Overview - SummitRacing.com

or do I need to get the $165 set.

Taylor Cable 99615 - Taylor Extreme Service Wire Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Is there an $85 difference?

I was going to order this morning but when I saw the 2 of them listed on OEMy's site , I figure I'd ask for advice, then order tonite. I'm not even sure I have another burnt wire but I seem to have a miss at high revs, pulling mtn. passes.
Also should I get the stock plugs and stock gap or go with the other , gapped at .045 recomended for UP?
Thanks, will check and order tonight.

On edit, I see Summit lists these for '01 thru '03 8.1 engine. Mine is an '04, is there a difference?
Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plug Wires

Hi Max, I used the Taylor Thunder Volt 50 wires from Summit. Part number 98086, Summit shows them as $92.. They are 50 ohms and 10.4 mm Works good so far. Easy to change also.

Have you been riding lately?, It's been so hot here you can't ride yet, the deserts are 102 - 105 to much for me.

Take care, Jack
Old 09-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Max,

If you going to make an effort to upgrade your wires go with ....

Taylor Cable 99615 - Taylor Extreme Service Wire Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It's what I use here. You can always get those from Brazel's or Redlands as well. I spoke with Keith today @Redlands, tell him Mike sent ya from iRV2.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
This one for about $80
Taylor Cable 79286 - Taylor 409 Pro Race Spiro-Wound Core Spark Plug Wires - Overview - SummitRacing.com

or do I need to get the $165 set.

Is there an $85 difference?

I was going to order this morning but when I saw the 2 of them listed on OEMy's site , I figure I'd ask for advice, then order tonite. I'm not even sure I have another burnt wire but I seem to have a miss at high revs, pulling mtn. passes.
Also should I get the stock plugs and stock gap or go with the other , gapped at .045 recomended for UP?
Thanks, will check and order tonight.

On edit, I see Summit lists these for '01 thru '03 8.1 engine. Mine is an '04, is there a difference?
Since I wasn't having an extreme heat problem, the Summit Racing employee said the 409's would be fine. I also ordered the AC-Delco 41-932's which were available at the time and will be installed shortly @ .045 gap. The replacements for these are now 41-993 I believe. Instead of replacing perfectly good OEM plugs you can regap them to .045 and they will work fine for now if you wish.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Instead of replacing perfectly good OEM plugs you can regap them to .045 and they will work fine for now if you wish.
The replacement plugs are a different heat range than the OE plugs. They were specified by running them on a Dyno and then only after numerous rule outs. I would retain the .065 gap on the OE plugs unless there's a good reason not to such as using UP.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Jack, good hearing from you. I hate to rub it in , but I just got back from 5 days in Taylor Park. You may have been there. It is a fabulous area. You can ride dirt from Aspen to Crested Butte to Pitkin, Tincup, Sargents and I think to Gunnison on some very challenging trails. Nightime temps went to the low to mid 20*s. Daytime was in the 60* with a shower every day to eliminate dust. We even had a snow shower across Tincup and Hancock Pass. If you have'nt been there, you need to go but the season is short, probably only 3 months wwhere you can get across the passes to make loops. Let me know if your interested and maybe we can meet there sometime. Absolutely awesome unlimited camping spots , even for a big MH. From Denver you have to cross 12,200 ' Cottonwood Pass, dirt on the west side, but my MH makes it just fine, even with the occasional hicup. From Gunnison, I believe it all pavement.
I just bought an '05 KLR 650 for some more serious dual sporting and my son got an '09. We still have the 250 and the 450 for the 'real dirt' tho

Cant find the Thundervolt SP wires on Summit. Are you sure that is what they are called? I'd buy the extremes, but I'm frugal, ( ok, cheap a$$ as my wife says) and if not necesary I could spend that extra $75 on gas. Geeze, 1500 degrees sounds like over kill. The engine next to my plug wires was 300 degrees or less, according to my infrared temp gauge. If you read this shortly, can you get me a part # for the Thundervolts?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yea Jack, While you were baking in the CA sun, here we are near the top of Hancock pass enjoying a Sept 6 snow shower.

Just a half earlier we were basking in the sun too.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max the number is 98086. Just type it in the search window on Summits page.
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks DieselClacker, I don't know why I did'nt find them before. I ordered the 909's about half hr ago but the descriptions sound the same, spiro wound 10.4 MM , ones red and one's black. What does 'spiro wound' mean?

Taylor Cable 98086 - Taylor ThunderVolt 50 Spark Plug Wire Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
What does 'spiro wound' mean?
Max, Instead of the conductor within the wire jacket being linear like any other wire the conductor is actually a resistor and is wound like a miniature coil spring the full length of the wire. The extended meaning of "Spiro" is spiral.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The spiral wound plug wires is a high performance replacment for the carbon core wires to reduce RF signal and increase spark to the plugs. We have used them succesfuly for years in our drag cars to keep the RF signals from interfearing with the other electronics in the car such as ign. boxes, computers and dalay computers.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
wires

Hey Max, your trip sounds great. I've been jeeping through most of that area but not much on the bike.. Maybe next year we can make plans of meeting their...

If you look at my post you'll see that it includes the part number 98086 for the wires.
Jack