Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Who can identify the Mystery Noise??

Mystery Noise Is confounding!
I have a 2003 Winnie Brave on a P-32 workhorse chassis and have worked out what I thought was all the inherent bugs such as autopark issies, ignition switch overload etc. but identifying this noise has really got me, give it a try! The noise is a raspy sound that only happens when the coach is driving between 35-40 mph regardless of turning the wheel, accelerating, braking etc. I can feel a slight friction vibration when it occurs in the steering wheel/gas pedal as it happens in random little bursts. I have no dash lights indicating a EGR pump failure or anything. Drove with wheel covers off the front end and it still happened as been doing since last years spring trip. We did notice the raspy metallic sound was lessened during rainy driving... The noise is confined to the front end maybe driver side area and I have looked beneath the chassis everywhere I can but nothing amiss? Take a stab at it??
Joe, 30' Winnie (not a newbie), thank you!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Loose internal baffles in muffler or cat converter?
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

Slight vibration, in the pedal & steering wheel, and raspy noise ; less in rainy conditions .

JMHO: classic description of a U joint , binding , or if you RV has them ; center steady bearing.
Check every U joint cap seal for any sign of rust around the seal onto the joint's cross. U joints don't have to be loose to be failing.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with #3. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a driveshaft carrier bearing. Had all of them replace. Problem solved.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have a clue.

Let us know what you find.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Carrier bearings usually display slight vibration when stepping down on the throttle and same when letting off. The easy way to check them is great the driveshaft, and try to move it up and down, if you can move it at all, replace! Rail!
Old 09-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Grab
Old 09-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #8

Thanks George, a notable part of this puzzle is that the noise only happens when the coach is rolling between 35-40 mph, wont happen in park which should not matter to loose baffles but, that is the kind of sound it makes -like a metallic shield being rubbed against another...hmmm.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #9

I will check U joints as you suggest but I have had that issue before and the type of noise & location somewhere in front of/beneath driver feet does not indicate a bearing. I do know vibration will travel but the raspy intermitant noise happens weather I am on the gas pedal or off & coasting and, does not clunk or grind. It's like drawing a small metal file across the edge of a hubcap! Not a low frequency vibration that would accompany u-joints...IDK??
Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #10

I appreciate all who chime in with any ideas and look forward to posting the final determination (before our upcoming trip!), Not giving up yet, thank you!

Joe
Old 09-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I re-read your post again, and you refered to the Auto park and fixing it. It is at the rear of the transmission and on the driveshaft. Maybe something is rubbing it, so give it a good look when you are under there, and look for shiny metal? Let us know what you find? Rail!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
YC1

See if there are any tin heat shields under there. I had a new rv that make a terrible racket at certain speeds. It was just a loose self tapping screw.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #13

Yes, a loose heat shield that rubs on something is what it sounds like but why only when moving at 35-40 mph, not a steady noise and not affected by steering, gas pedal accelaration or coasting, this is crazy!
Raspy sound seems to be coming from in front of drivers foot area down by chassis/master cylinder or front end components but that has been checked. I do have air bags inside my springs but noise not tied to bumps and also have large springs attached to leveling jacks that could make such a noise but...? We bent an engine manifold heat shield away from the exhaust just incase and I also drove with wheel covers on front removed, still no change!! Brake shoe dust shield? HELP!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #14

Try taking it out of gear. But I have a problem starting a new thread of my own. Am I locked out somehow for inactivity?

Tags
noise