Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
brake bleeder

build your own vacuum bleeder and help farmers like me at the same time. go buy the largest glass pickle jar, empty and silicone cap back on with 2 brass vacuum nipples on top (siliconed in) then connect one vacuum line to bleeder, the other to either to a vacuum fitting on any vehicle close to you, or as i do an a/c vacuum pump. crack brake bleeder and watch that nasty brake fluid disappear into that big jar. just watch master cylinder and keep adding fluid so as not to run out. much faster than gravity method and all for the cost of one pickle jar, 2 brass nipples, and one roll of vacuum hose.
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How old is my brake fluid?

I've got a W22 chassis and have not had any brake problems so far but am anxious for the "permanent" fix. In the meanwhile I'm very happy to carry out all recommended routine maintenance including bleeding and changing the brake fluid every two years. So my question is this: how old is my brake fluid? I've got a 2009 model motorhome I purchase in July of 2008, but the vehicle information indicates the underlying W22 chassis was assembled in December 2007. Am I correct in assuming that the brakes are as old as the chassis? And that therefore the brake fluid is now two years old and should be bled and changed out?

Sorry for such a basic question but I just discovered the chassis is much older than I thought, which makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
Sorry for such a basic question but I just discovered the chassis is much older than I thought, which makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks in advance!
brucecdou, Good sleuthing! You are indeed right on the cusp toward getting ahead of this and replacing the fluid in a timely manner.

I will tell you this much, you keep it up and I can almost guarantee you that your brakes will serve you as well as mine served me. Being proactive and replacing the brake fluid from the onset of ownership is "Key" toward warding off brake related problems due to contamination. Aside from contamination, your fluid will perform better when it comes to puttin' the pedal to the firewall. Absent water, the brake fluid will help stop your vehicle more quickly and just being able to buy that 1 inch of space is all the difference between getting into an accident and not.

When folks drive away with the campaign completed, I'm hoping that they will consider doing what you are doing and stay on track toward replacing their fluid every 2 years.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #18

Bruce- you nailed it; brake fluid as old as the chassis if its original.

I had to laugh when I saw this thread go up. To think there are folks who would argue that changing brake fluid isn't necessary... Maybe I can sell 'em that bridge in Lake Havasu City, AZ, hmmmm...
Old 12-22-2009, 04:18 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post

I had to laugh when I saw this thread go up. To think there are folks who would argue that changing brake fluid isn't necessary...
We are in total agreement
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post

I had to laugh when I saw this thread go up. To think there are folks who would argue that changing brake fluid isn't necessary... Maybe I can sell 'em that bridge in Lake Havasu City, AZ, hmmmm...
You sure make me feel stupid. I'm 60 yrs old and have never changed brake fluid yet. Have'nt had any brake problems either.
Oh well, maybe sometimes it's just better to be lucky, than to be 'holier than thou'.

I'll admit I've recently been thinking about changing it but another part of me says, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'

If I had the typical W series brake problems, then I would know it is already broke, and I'm sure I would hope changing the brake fluid would help.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
You sure make me feel stupid. I'm 60 yrs old and have never changed brake fluid yet. Haven't had any brake problems either..
Max, What folks need to know that regardless of the possibility that the brakes are broke, flushing brake fluid is fixing the broke brake fluid. Believe me changing your brake fluid is important and just because you don't have a brake problem does not mean that you don't have a brake fluid problem.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Driver, I'm not bragging about, just tellin the truth.
Have never changed on any car/ trk I've owned since I was 16. However, I don't know if I have owned a vehicle with over a 100,000 miles.

It does only make sense that new brake fluid is better than old. It only makes sense that new differential and power steering fluid is better than old also. I'm sure the lube centers would agree too.

I still think this is a rather new thing with changing brake fluid, about as new as the W series brake problems. I don't think any of my vehicles owners manuals say any thing about changing brake fluid. If someone thinks I'm wrong about this, I'll go out to the glove boxes and check.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Driver, I'm not bragging about, just tellin the truth.
Max, I believe you and please stay in the house, it's cold outside. Brake fluid is what it is. It's hygroscopic. As such it's job is to absorb water and turn it into an emulsion so it doesn't mess up the brake parts. When you get too much water in the fluid that's when the BIG problems start and it doesn't take much more than 3 years to contaminate fluid to the point where it's almost useless.

We have seen posts here where the military has allowed a vehicles to sit for months on end and at the end of that time the brake fluid looked like molasses. That's not a good thing.

Unless you can pull some antique brake fluid out of that 100,000 mile car of yours and have it tested and tell me that the fluid is as good today as it ever was then we need to examine whether or not it makes sense to replace brake fluid periodically.

You surely don't question changing your motor oil? Hydraulic brake systems benefit in much the same way and that needs to be understood and properly maintained as well.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I still think this is a rather new thing with changing brake fluid, about as new as the W series brake problems. I don't think any of my vehicles owners manuals say any thing about changing brake fluid. If someone thinks I'm wrong about this, I'll go out to the glove boxes and check.[/QUOTE] Changing brake fluid is nothing new. Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it hasn't been done. European car manufactures have had replacing brake fluid on a yearly maint. program since the 1960s.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several mis-spoken points so far in this thread...
  1. BMW recommends 2-year fluid change intervals, not 4. Doesn't make them better or worse, it's just the way it is. Parts are expensive for them, I know, I have one. It goes thru pads and rotors every 20K miles, they cost about $350 to do them yourself. Fluid gets changed every 2 years or less, and it has to be hooked up to a ECM computer to cycle the ABS controller. It's not a DIY item. Costs about $70. No one whines about their BMW brakes.
  2. No one uses Dot 5, it's silicon based. If you want a higher temp capacity than Dot 4 it's Dot 5.1. Hard to get and expensive, but common for cars that run on a track or race and for motorcycles and racing karts. It is MORE hygroscopic than 3 or 4 and needs to be changed more often.
  3. Dot 4 would make sense for our brakes, it's fairly easy to get and doesn't cost much more than Dot 3.
  4. I would bet that it's a very odd few service recommendation for ANY automobile that DOES NOT list brake fluid changes at 2 year intervals. Get a clue guys, they all do.
  5. This is not new news, it's old news. Do a search on the 'net about brake fluid changes. I guess it's these old buzzards that drive motorhomes that just never got with the modern automobiles. Brake fluid changes are automatically done by your service centers on regular services. Just because you never did it to your own vehicles or didn't know about it doesn't mean it isn't required.
  6. And just because you got away with not changing fluid in your car doesn't mean you will in your 12 ton RV. It's apples to oranges when it comes to stopping power.
If a service center is quoting/charging four or five hundred to flush fluid go someplace else. That's ridiculous.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ok,ok,ok 10-4 , Wonder why it was not in owners manuals for as long as I've did some of my own brake jobs before but I also have taken it to different shops to have it done. I paid for new brakes, turn and / or replace the rotors or drums, bought metalic pads/ shoes, even had to replace a caliper at least once. Not once did a shop try to sell me a brake fluid flush.
Seems strange, does'nt it?
I have a friend who is meticulous about maintenance on trucks and his own car. He has 387,000 miles on his Honda, (Accord, I think). It looks almost brand new.
I hope to remember to ask him if he changes his brake fluid.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
"Old Buzzards", !! Oh boy, I can hardly wait to see the responses on that one. Hang on Gurdy, were in for a good one......!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
ok,ok,ok 10-4 , Wonder why it was not in owners manuals for as long as I've did some of my own brake jobs before but I also have taken it to different shops to have it done. I paid for new brakes, turn and / or replace the rotors or drums, bought metallic pads/ shoes, even had to replace a caliper at least once. Not once did a shop try to sell me a brake fluid flush.
Max, Does the word ignoramus come to mind at all? I agree with you 100% - It's not something that is going to come up on most people's radar screen BUT it should. Now that you know ... you can never go back!