Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #1

My brother is traveling west and his windshield wipers suddenly quit during a rain storm. I've spoken to him several time on the phone and tried to help diagnose the problem, but with no luck. He has a 2002 Gulfstream on a W-22.
The first thing he did was try to replace the fuse, but it keeps blowing when a new one is inserted.He can't check voltage at the connectors or at the motor because of the fuse problem. I suggested he check the connector coming off the wiper motor for moisture from the rain, but he assures me it is dry. He brought it to a Work Horse Service center, but they told him it would take about 5 hours at $100.00 per/hr.to find the problem. After spending 1 hr. on it, the problem was still not located, so he decided to not spend anymore labor costs and start heading west to Nevada and hope it doesn't rain.
Since they stopped working during a rain storm, I tend to think water got into something, causing a short.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Vegas 1
vegas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #2

My brother is traveling west and his windshield wipers suddenly quit during a rain storm. I've spoken to him several time on the phone and tried to help diagnose the problem, but with no luck. He has a 2002 Gulfstream on a W-22.
The first thing he did was try to replace the fuse, but it keeps blowing when a new one is inserted.He can't check voltage at the connectors or at the motor because of the fuse problem. I suggested he check the connector coming off the wiper motor for moisture from the rain, but he assures me it is dry. He brought it to a Work Horse Service center, but they told him it would take about 5 hours at $100.00 per/hr.to find the problem. After spending 1 hr. on it, the problem was still not located, so he decided to not spend anymore labor costs and start heading west to Nevada and hope it doesn't rain.
Since they stopped working during a rain storm, I tend to think water got into something, causing a short.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Vegas 1
Old 01-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
vegas1, you hit the nail on the head most of the problems have been water in the plug to wiper motor. If he checked wipers before he left on trip the water is what causing the problem now. My wipers didn't blow a fuse but would not shut off. Had to unplug to get them to stop after it stop raining. Found water in plug had to clean out and tape plug and tie up above upper crack of hood opening. Also had water problem into air horn placed a weather strip across upper crack of hood opening, it kept plug dry and water out of air intake. "007"

Welcome to irv2
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Vegas1,
This is Jeff at Brazel's RV Performance, we have run into that problem a lot here. Almost every single time we find that the windshield wipers are working intermittently or not working at all it is because the windshield wiper module needs to be replaced. It is a pretty simple changeout. The Workhorse dealer that your brother took his coach to should have been able to diagnose this problem in a couple of minutes. Let me know what happens.

Jeff Brazel
Old 01-22-2006, 08:20 AM   #5

Hi Jeff-
To make matters worse concerning the wiper problem, by brothers coach died in El Paso, TX.
It was attributed to a clogged gas filter which caused the fuel pump to blow. The pump and filter was replaced, but now, his dash does not work, including speedometer, fuel guage, etc. Also, the jacks did not work either. The mechanic in El Paso bypassed something and hooked the wipers and jacks to direct power. Does the module you were referring to also control these function? He's planning on limping it into Las Vegas and take it to the local Workhorse Service Center. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Vegas1