Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #1

I have an 05 Adventurer 38J (W24 chassis). I may be towing a tow dolly with electric brakes, thereby requiring a brake controller. Does anyone know if the coach comes wired for it, or will I have to get the wiring done as well as getting the controller.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #2

I have an 05 Adventurer 38J (W24 chassis). I may be towing a tow dolly with electric brakes, thereby requiring a brake controller. Does anyone know if the coach comes wired for it, or will I have to get the wiring done as well as getting the controller.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ready2Ride:
Does anyone know if the coach comes wired for it, or will I have to get the wiring done as well as getting the controller. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The motorhome does not come with brake controller circuit. You will have to install that when you buy the controller and dolly.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:06 PM   #4

Thanks. Kinda what I figured. Gotta calculate all the costs to see if I'm better off going with a four-down solution or tow dolly.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #5

R2R, IF your toad is capable of being pulled all four wheels on the road.......GO for it! I think most folks will tell you the tow dolly is a lot more trouble to "hook up", not to mention a pain to store when you get where you are going. Modern base plate/tow bar hitches are really quick and convienent. You will probably also need to consider supplemental braking system, even with those quads that come on your W-24. Welcome to the WCC and irv2 families!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:15 PM   #6

We have a 2000 Saturn SL1 4cyl automatic that we would be towing, at least for now. We will be giving that car to our daughter in a couple of years when she goes to college and getting something else. I am not sure about the cost of the base plates and other mods if needed to the TOAD for just a couple of years.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:50 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Ready2ride, I have a 04 Winnebago Adventurer 35' on a workhorse chassis and I wired my controller myself.I also tow a dolly with electric brakes. I will try to tell you what I did. I ran 3 10 gauge wires from rear of coach to inside cab area. The wires were grn, blue and wht. The grn I connected to the third brake light at rear of coach(I stood up in the rear of coach to do this), blue to the open pin on the trailer socket, and the white to the white going to trailer socket. In order to get that into coach I went up in alongside steering column and wire harness going up in to coach and came out in box by left of drivers door. I used a stiff snake to get the wires up there. I also ran a red wire (same gauge) to the house batteries and connected it to the positive post. I ran also a black wire to the negative post just to be sure. All wires were attached to the controller as per instructions that came with the controller. I mounted the controller which I purchased from JC Whitney for $49 to the left of the steering column under the dash. I think the whole job cost me $65.00 and I took my time doing it. The wires from the rear to the front I enclosed in this spiral cover that is split and tyrapped it to chassis. All wiring and spiral cove purchased at local Auto Store. It was a piece of cake.
As for problems with tow dolly at campground and such. It is a breeze to hookup and to drive car on it using a little common sense. If I am travelling thru I normally ask for a pull thru site and then I don't have to disconnect dolly or car. I may do that even if I am staying for while too. If I have to get a backin site I disconnect the dolly after unloading car, push it behind the coach if there is room and if not I back in Coach and then put dolly and car in front of coach. I have a 3rd wheel on dolly so pushing it around is no big deal. If I have to disconnect say at the office. Then after unloading car I hook up dolly on ball behind car (put hitch on car a long time ago) and tow it to campsite. Like I said it is no more trouble than four down. Also remember brake buddy for Saturn towed four down is $1295 approx plus all other costs of plate,bar,cables,etc. Tow dolly can be used on any front wheel drive car and I have even seen some vehicles towed backwards on dolly. BTW I have a roadmaster dolly. Travel safe and enjoy your new Winnie as I am enjoying mine.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 05:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ready2Ride:
I am not sure about the cost of the base plates and other mods if needed to the TOAD for just a couple of years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you want to get an idea of how much the parts will cost you can always browse the RV Upgrades webbsite or call them on the phone. They'll be glad to help.

We have seen where RV Upgrades is very competitively priced and most times you can expect to pay less on RVUP!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:24 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually, there should be a blue wire under the dash that can be used to operate a brake controller. You will find some extra lines under the electric tape at the bargman connector also.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
RjDillon,
How about the rest of the wires like the brake light wires, are they there too? If all the wires are there then how come it wasn't indicated by Workhorse or Winnebago. Probably because electric brake controllers are not usually on Motorhomes.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't Winnebago put a stop & tail light plug on the back of the motorhome? Most manufacturers do, cause they know a motorhome is going to tow something, either a car, a dolly or a full trailer. That should handle your trailer lighting.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my unit, 5 of the 6 lines in the loom were connected (turn/brake lights, ground, running lights, brake controller) to the Bargman connector. The brake controller lead (which was blue) was behind the instrument panel in the coach. Because I was tired of tracing lines, I did not worry about the 6th line and ran 2 lines from the front of the coach for 12 volt live and a return to indicate the brakes in the toad were activated.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:46 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I was just looking at older posts and was curious to find out how you made out with brake controller wiring? Did you get it done and I hope I was helpful. I didn't find the blue wire under the dash or in the plug harness in the rear of the coach. Don't forget you do need the brake light wire to activate controller. Please let me know how you made out. Thanks.
Tom