Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #57

When our cat lost its matrix there was no code thrown, and we have the fore and aft ox sensors and the OBD II system. We were only one tenth of a point from passing but I can't remember for sure if it was the idle or high speed test we failed, but I think it was the idle portion.
Loren
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #58
Official iRV2 Sponsor

DNEBOUT,

Was your coach part of the catalytic converter recall?? What are the last eight digits of your VIN?? I think the emissions warranty for your coach is 75000 miles
Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #59

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steady Eddie:
So, Jim, what you are saying is that with 4 O2 sensors it is like having a
"Smog Check Station" on board 100% of the time, right? And if a cat converter fails to a certain point, it sets a code and lights the SES lamp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's right. I think it comes down to the difference of whether the system is what's called an "Enhanced" OBDII system or not.

I thought that larger vehicles over a certain weight were not required to have the enhanced system which would include the post cat sensors and also fuel vapor leak detection as well as other software to detect tailpipe emissions that exceed the EPA's mandates. This could vary from model year to model year and it could also be different for CA emissions vehicles.

Those post cat sensors will become very inactive and produce a low voltage (between 0-350mv) when the cats "light-off" and start working (normal operation). The ECM monitors them at idle to watch for excessive switching from lean to rich which would indicate the oxygen storage capacity of the converter is below a certain threshold (abnormal operation). If the conditions are right, the SES light turns on when the DTC sets.

I'm surprised that in Loren's case the SES light didn't come on if the entire guts of the converter blew out or melted down. It could be a testament to how well tuned these rigs are and that they run fairly clean to begin with. The cats just clean it up a little bit more.

Here in NH we now do emissions testing statewide as a part of the yearly Motor Vehicle Inspection. We connect a computer to the diagnostic connector under the dash, only on OBDII vehicles, and run the engine at idle for a few min's. The computer checks for any emissions related DTC's and we are to make sure the SES light works properly. This is basically relying on the fact that these vehicles have as you say "a 'Smog Check Station' on board 100% of the time". Trucks over 8500 GVWR are exempt from this test and only require a visual check of their emissions equipment.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:51 AM   #60

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
DNEBOUT,

Was your coach part of the catalytic converter recall?? What are the last eight digits of your VIN?? I think the emissions warranty for your coach is 75000 miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good question! It seems to me that most all vehicles have a Federally mandated emissions warranty that covers the cats and the ECM for 8 years or 80k miles.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #61

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
DNEBOUT,

Was your coach part of the catalytic converter recall?? What are the last eight digits of your VIN?? I think the emissions warranty for your coach is 75000 miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the delay to your question Mike. I was out of town. Last 8 digits of my VIN are 43383594. If you can look it up that would be great.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #62

UPDATE: Both the original cats were empty shells. I believe that the original owner may have taken out the guts. I had 2 new cats put in to the tune of 750.00

Picked up the coach thursday evening and drove it home. I was in traffic the whole way so I didn't really get a chance to see what the power loss was with the new cats in. Before I got home i stopped in and passed the smog test, so that's done.

Friday we went camping. I had a better opportunity to see how much power loss I got with the new cats. It is pretty substantial, so when I got to the campsite I decidedc to look at what was done under the coach. To my surprise the new cats they put in are pretty small. Something you would see in a average sized vehicle.

Do you think that they should have put in the larger stock cats? Do you think that the smaller cats are inhibiting power?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #63
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Those cats wont last long,they are not made for heavy GVW's.They should be replaced with the Workhorse units.
Do you have a fax number?? I can E-mail your chassis history to you,it has some interesting repairs on it.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #64

I would love the history. You can fax it to 925-228-3044. Thanks Mike!!!

Dave Nebout
Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #65
Official iRV2 Sponsor

On it's way!!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #66

On it's way!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Very interesting! Quite a bit of wiring issues on this thing. Thanks alot.

Do you know what the part numbers are for the correct cats for my 2004 W20?
Dave
Old 03-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #67
Official iRV2 Sponsor

W8001469 Is a kit which includes both cat's & gaskets.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #68

W8001469 Is a kit which includes both cat's & gaskets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much do those run? I'm imagining they may be spendy~!
Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dave, I never did see if you verified that your coach was not part of the 60401-C Catalytic Converter Service Bulletin that required replacement of the converters. Is your chassis a 2003?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #70

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by born2camp:
Dave, I never did see if you verified that your coach was not part of the 60401-C Catalytic Converter Service Bulletin that required replacement of the converters. Is your chassis a 2003? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'a 2004 and I'm not sure if there was a Cat Converter campaign for my coach. When I had the ECM replaced, I had the fuel rail clip done and they said there were no other recalls to deal with. Please enlighten me on what years were affected and what the problem was.