Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #29

Dropped my motorhome at R Mechanic in Livermore, Ca this morning. They're going to take a look at it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #30

Ok, here's the latest. R Mecahnic and Workhorse are saying that the Catalytic comverters are too far back from the engine therefore not hot enough and not burning off the Hydrocarbons. I was told that Tiffin may have moved the Catalytic converters back 36" or so when they built the coach.
This makes sense because the engine passes at high RPMs while the Cat is hot, but then at low RPMs the Cats are so far back that they cool down and are no longer useful.
I called Tiffin and they will look into any modifications that may have been made at the factory on Monday.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #31

I'd bet that WCC and R Mechanic's Tech are right on. After crawling under your Coach, can you see where an extra section of exhaust pipe tubing has been "scabbed" in there to move the cats back?? This probably means that every Coach built by Tiffen, on the same WB WCC has the same smog issues...who'd have thunk it??

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #32

The guy at R Mechanic did see a piece of pipe put in between the Cat and the exhaust manifold that didn't look like it came from the Workhorse factory. I don't have the coach here at my house to see it myself.

The whole thing makes complete sense, doesn't it?
Old 02-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dnebout:
The guy at R Mechanic did see a piece of pipe put in between the Cat and the exhaust manifold that didn't look like it came from the Workhorse factory. I don't have the coach here at my house to see it myself.

The whole thing makes complete sense, doesn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to start a big legal issue here, but it is illegal to alter the exhaust system in Calif.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:20 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dnebout:

Yes, it does. The catalytic converters have to be HOT to do their job properly which is to reduce hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) pollutants from the exhaust gas.

If they are too far back, they'll cool down at idle which could definitely cause your problem.

To answer one of your earlier questions, the difference in an ECM and a PCM is more than just nomenclature.

The Engine Control Module does just that. In a nutshell, it receives inputs from the engine sensors and controls the engine operation.

A PCM is a Powertrain Control Module and not only controls the engine, but the rest of the powertrain (namely the transmission) as well.

An ECM is usually accompanied by a TCM (Transmission Control Module), like on our motorhomes with the Allison trans., whereas a PCM is an all-in-one unit which is more commonly found in an automobile or light truck.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:

I don't want to start a big legal issue here, but it is illegal to alter the exhaust system in Calif.

Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The coach is from Iowa
Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 AM   #36

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Horsepowerfan:

Yes, it does. The catalytic converters have to be HOT to do their job properly which is to reduce hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) pollutants from the exhaust gas.

If they are too far back, they'll cool down at idle which could definitely cause your problem.

To answer one of your earlier questions, the difference in an ECM and a PCM is more than just nomenclature.

The Engine Control Module does just that. In a nutshell, it receives inputs from the engine sensors and controls the engine operation.

A PCM is a Powertrain Control Module and not only controls the engine, but the rest of the powertrain (namely the transmission) as well.

An ECM is usually accompanied by a TCM (Transmission Control Module), like on our motorhomes with the Allison trans., whereas a PCM is an all-in-one unit which is more commonly found in an automobile or light truck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hats off to the mechanic on this one. That's some tough troubleshooting.
Thanks for the explanation on the different meanings of computers. That was one of my original questions in this post.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #37
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Can somebody measure thier manifold to Converter difference and let us know,so DNEbout can do the same??
Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #38

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
Can somebody measure thier manifold to Converter difference and let us know,so DNEbout can do the same?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea Mike! I will call R Mechanic tomorrow and get a measurement from them before they move the cat closer to the motor.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #39

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
A photo would even be better.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #40

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
Can somebody measure thier manifold to Converter difference and let us know,so DNEbout can do the same?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is about 9 feet back from the exhaust manifold.

If he needs just a little more heat, would an insulating cuff on the existing pipe work?
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #41

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:

Mine is about 9 feet back from the exhaust manifold.

9 feet from the header flange to the beginning of the cat?

If he needs just a little more heat, would an insulating cuff on the existing pipe work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #42

Jayco Owners Club
I crawled under the MH with a tape measure this time. It's 55 inches from the exhaust manifold flange to the first connector and 40 inches from the connector to the beginning of the cat. So that's 95 inches.

Update: I took some pictures and emailed them to Dale Olson "OMEY". Hope thats ok with Omey
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote