Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #1

Workhorse Brake Caliper Sticking

About a month ago I had a few things serviced on my motorhome.
One thing they did was flushed and bled the brakes, the guy told
me that the pressure at one caliper was little weak. Today I took
it for a spin and that brake caliper that had weak pressure was
sticking. Anybody have any suggestions on anything to check or
should I just replace the caliper? Its a 1994 Chevy p30 chassis...
Southwind
frebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #2

If you loosen the bleeder does that relax the brakes? If so replace the hose.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #3

The slides tend to get corroded and stick. There are Utube videos on caliper disassembly. It's enough of an issue that annual or bi annual cleaning and re-lubing would be prudent. Not terribly difficult. Also a good time to do a fluid flush.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #4

How old are the brake hoses? If 20 plus years.. way past time to change out.. depending on how old the brake old was... you are still going to have rebuild the calipers because old brake oil holds water.. so the piston is hanging up on rust.. you must flush brakes every 2yrs.. or rust builds up inside.. you can get re man ones.. or rebuild kit for 15 bucks and do it yourself..
How old was brake oil before flush..?
I suspect you have problems and hoped a flush would be all you needed.. sorry.. if you would have asked before flushing.. we could have givin you are opinions..
Now you get to flush again and put new hoses and rebuild calipers..
Also.. trace each hard line.. and replace as needed..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #5

As K Charles says,
Have a friend depress the pedal firmly, and release. Then crack the bleeder screw on the sticking caliper. You will have one of two results.
A) The fluid will squirt out rapidly, and the caliper will release.
If so, the rubber line has collapsed internally and needs replacement.
B) The fluid does not squirt out and the caliper stays tight.
You either will have a bad caliper square seal, or a stuck caliper slider.

Ours is a 11/95 P30 chassis with the JF9 4 wheel disk brakes. We replaced all the rubber hose, rebuilt the caliper (very easy to do) and wire brushed the caliper sliders. When you install add a light coat of high temp grease to the sliders. Should last 3-4 years if you drive at least twice a month.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:45 AM   #6

Ive only owned this motorhome for about a year. Ive taken it on a few trips but been going through everything getting it ready for a longer trip. went to have something on the front end checked out and the guy recommended to flush the brake fluid because it was dirty so I let him. Its possible this caliper has been causing my problems all along but he did find something and fixed it.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frebird View Post
About a month ago I had a few things serviced on my motorhome.
One thing they did was flushed and bled the brakes, the guy told
me that the pressure at one caliper was little weak. Today I took
it for a spin and that brake caliper that had weak pressure was
sticking. Anybody have any suggestions on anything to check or
should I just replace the caliper? Its a 1994 Chevy p30 chassis...
Southwind
It's a hydraulic system. There should be no such thing as "weak pressure" in one corner. Check the hose and caliper, as others have suggested. And, find someone competent to work on your brakes.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:55 AM   #8

Cant afford to pay someone else to fix it. Besides Ive got experience on working on brakes along with a lot of other things. Just needing to diagnose what is needing to be fixed. Appreciate all input on this helping me out.....
Old 12-04-2021, 05:16 AM   #9

Replace the caliper and hose and move on. Do it yourself and the cost of both won’t be that significant compared to paying a competent shop. I had one stick on my Ford F53 chassis and I am going through all mine, replacing calipers and hoses, rotors as needed and pads, and replacing rusted brake line. Of course repacking the bearing on the fronts, new oil seals on the rear.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frebird View Post
Cant afford to pay someone else to fix it. Besides Ive got experience on working on brakes along with a lot of other things. Just needing to diagnose what is needing to be fixed. Appreciate all input on this helping me out.....

Caliper and hoses are reasonably low cost items and somewhat easy to replace. The rotors are far more expensive and way more labor intensive to install, so what ever you do correct the problem before it ruins the rotor. Hopefully it hasn't already done so.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #11

Check if there was a recall on the brakes for your model & year. That was the case for later years.
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
As K Charles says,
Have a friend depress the pedal firmly, and release. Then crack the bleeder screw on the sticking caliper. You will have one of two results.
A) The fluid will squirt out rapidly, and the caliper will release.
If so, the rubber line has collapsed internally and needs replacement.
B) The fluid does not squirt out and the caliper stays tight.
You either will have a bad caliper square seal, or a stuck caliper slider.
Good tip!
Old 12-06-2021, 06:51 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
The slides tend to get corroded and stick. There are Utube videos on caliper disassembly. It's enough of an issue that annual or bi annual cleaning and re-lubing would be prudent. Not terribly difficult. Also a good time to do a fluid flush.
I had a 1988 P30. I believe that it had the same brakes as your 1994. Its slide pins tended to corrode and cause the caliper to stick. I did as above on a bi-annual basis.

As noted, not hard. Look up a Youtube how to and have fun. Will most likely fix your problem and not cost much!
Old 12-06-2021, 07:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagaron View Post
Check if there was a recall on the brakes for your model & year. That was the case for later years.
The OP has a pre-Workhorse P series chassis made by GM (Chevy). NONE of them ( GM or Workhorse )was ever recalled about their brakes.

The brake recall you refer to was issued only for the W-22 series chassis, made from 2001 thru August 2010.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, workhorse