Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Workhorse brake recall status

Does it have 22 1/2” wheels if so it’s not a W-20
Looking at the chart that won’t load I would say it’s a W22
Your 6th digit designates the chassis size.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateaddict View Post
Hi Ed Gray, Our 2002 Winnebago Adventurer vin # is 5B4MP67G823348106. I thought it was a W-22 Chassis but now believe its a W20. Our brake recall was completed in 2010 with mileage at 39632. We just returned from a 5018 mile trip to the east coast and was surprised to find it has a grinding at the L/H rear wheel . The pads were replaced in 2015 at 64757 miles. Our mechanic called and told me both rear calipers were cracked in several places and both rotors needed to be replaced. We now have 75000 miles on our RV. I'm very careful about applying the brakes and know for sure they have never been abused. I've asked my mechanic to save all removed parts. Has anyone had failures after they completed the recall with the Bosch Calipers?
You are correct about it being a W-20, but that is of little concern to the brake issues you have. I find it hard to believe the rear pads could have worn out in only ~10,000 miles. Are you SURE they were replaced in 2015? Also, I am assuming you mean the mechanic said the rotors are cracked and the calipers need to be replaced. Obviously if the pads wore out that quickly, they must have been dragging, which MAY explain the cracked rotors, but I would ask the mech what is the reason he says the calipers need to be replaced. To answer your question, I can't say NOBODY has had a failure since the recall, but I believe continued issues are rare with the "redesigned" calipers provided by the recall. Are the front brakes OK ?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Ed I paid a brake company to replace the brakes in 2015. However, they are no longer in town which may explain why I had the problem. My RV should be ready tomorrow and I've asked them to save all of the old parts for me. I'll let you know what I find.

What really bothers me about this whole mess is I always do all of the repairs on my vehicles myself. I don't have the tools that will handle the high torque on the lug nuts. Guess I need to buy another tool!! LOL
kstateaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Does it have 22 1/2” wheels if so it’s not a W-20
Looking at the chart that won’t load I would say it’s a W22
Your 6th digit designates the chassis size.

Sorry I guess I was wrong on what I was looking at on the chart? Hmm?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Sorry I guess I was wrong on what I was looking at on the chart? Hmm?
No, you are not wrong. You are correct that the "6" in the sixth position is for the W-22, but for reasons unknown to me, WCC considers the W-22 as a "series", so all the W-20, W-21, and W-22 chassis all have a "6" in the sixth position.

A "3" OR a "5" is a P-32, and an "A" is a W-24 "series" because that "A" can also be a W-25.5, which Tiffin used a bunch of.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:48 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok I wondered why it didn’t show a W20 specific 6th position designation, now we know.[emoji106]
Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Ed, I picked up my coach today and the rotors have many cracks and are scrap The calipers aren't cracked but show signs of very high temps so they were replaced. My question is did the recall 50901-c caliper replacement include both front and rear? My paperwork indicates that they only replaced the front.
kstateaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:46 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Should have said 4 calipers. They are the same front to rear.

Mike
Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Welcome to iRV2 and the WCC forum
That vin is a 2007 W-22. Both the Bosch Caliper and the fuel tank cap recalls were completed at 27,724 miles on 4-21-2011. There are no other recalls open.

If you want the entire build sheet, I can attach it to a reply if you send an email, with your screen name as subject, to: edgray1@gmail.com .
Safe travels,
Ed

Hello;

I have a 2005 Gulf Stream VIN 5B4MP67C443388351. Can you check the recalls please?

Sudsy
Old 06-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should email Ed as mentioned in the copied post you quoted, he would be glad to to check for you.!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #53

Quote:
You should email Ed as mentioned in the copied post you quoted, he would be glad to to check for you.!

Done, thanks.

Sudsy
Old 06-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateaddict View Post
Hi Ed, I picked up my coach today and the rotors have many cracks and are scrap The calipers aren't cracked but show signs of very high temps so they were replaced. My question is did the recall 50901-c caliper replacement include both front and rear? My paperwork indicates that they only replaced the front.
The Bosch caliper recall, 51101-C, was to replace all 4 calipers because they are all the same.
There is a simple way to tell if you have the OE style that was recalled, or the "new" style that should have been installed when the recall was completed. The OE calipers have a number molded into the back side of the casting. The replacements will have a production date code STAMPED into the casting immediately below the molded number. If you don't see anything stamped in, then it is most likely you still have the OE style with the faulty piston material and bore clearance issue, which is why they were recalled.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The Bosch caliper recall, 51101-C, was to replace all 4 calipers because they are all the same.
There is a simple way to tell if you have the OE style that was recalled, or the "new" style that should have been installed when the recall was completed. The OE calipers have a number molded into the back side of the casting. The replacements will have a production date code STAMPED into the casting immediately below the molded number. If you don't see anything stamped in, then it is most likely you still have the OE style with the faulty piston material and bore clearance issue, which is why they were recalled.
I must be missing something. I thought that if I gave you my VIN you could check some kind of list to see if mine had been reported done.

Sudsy
Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I must be missing something. I thought that if I gave you my VIN you could check some kind of list to see if mine had been reported done.

Sudsy

STEVE:

What you are apparently missing is that my comments you are quoting were an answer to a post from "kstateaddict", not yours.
I just replied to your email with a copy of your build sheet attached.

FYI, and for the benefit of future readers, if you have a W-24 there is no point in checking on the status of the "Bosch caliper recall" because that chassis has Arvin-Meritor 4 piston calipers, and therefore isn't include in the "brake recall".
In fact, there are only a few recalls ever issued for any of the W-24 series chassis, and none are related to brakes.

Tags
workhorse, recall, brake