Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #1

I took my motorhome with a W22 to my local repair shop for a leaking right rear hub. The shop called me and said that they are no longer an authorized Workhorse repair shop. So, I called Workhorse, the contact told me that I could take the mootorhome to several other locations, all farther than the one my mothorhome was already at. Or, I could use the shop I was at and send the invoice to them for reinbursment.

At that point I contacted the shop and requested that they call me when they understand the extent of the work required. Well, the rear inner and outer seal had to be replaced. The issue is that workhorse will only cover parts and $93 labor, labor came to $170.

The Workhorse rep refused to have a three way conversation with the shop.

Now is this normal? Am I out of line? I did'nt know that the warranty from Workhorse could cost me, the customer, money.
cheesemanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #2

I took my motorhome with a W22 to my local repair shop for a leaking right rear hub. The shop called me and said that they are no longer an authorized Workhorse repair shop. So, I called Workhorse, the contact told me that I could take the mootorhome to several other locations, all farther than the one my mothorhome was already at. Or, I could use the shop I was at and send the invoice to them for reinbursment.

At that point I contacted the shop and requested that they call me when they understand the extent of the work required. Well, the rear inner and outer seal had to be replaced. The issue is that workhorse will only cover parts and $93 labor, labor came to $170.

The Workhorse rep refused to have a three way conversation with the shop.

Now is this normal? Am I out of line? I did'nt know that the warranty from Workhorse could cost me, the customer, money.
cheesemanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cheesemanmax:
Now is this normal? Am I out of line? I didn't know that the warranty from Workhorse could cost me, the customer, money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I will respectfully field this question.

Once you found out that the dealer you chose wasn't an authorized WCC Service Center I would have called WCC at that moment and asked them would they would suggest and I believe that's what you in fact did.

WCC suggested you to go to an Authorized Service Center however you choose to have the current repair shop accomplish the work, and WCC offered to reimburse you for the work accomplished. Workhorse like all automotive shops has fee reimbursement schedules. As your job called for reimbursement for 100% of the parts plus a $93.00 labor reimbursement for labor the fact that the vendor you choose overcharged you $77.00 is no doubt one of the reasons they no longer are a Workhorse Authorized Repair Center.

At this point the vendor you chose is an independent contractor and there really would be no need for a 3 way conversation with the repair shop.

I would now ask myself how much more would it have cost you in time, effort and fuel to relocate my motorhome to an Authorized Service Center? If the answer to that question is about $77.00 then I would say that you broke even.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

As Driver says, warranty repairs are paid on a flat rate schedule. "Flat rate" means that Workhorse has determined what they believe is an adequate amount of time (labor hours) for a competent mechanic to do that job and also a standard dollars/hour rate they are willing to pay for shop services. This is standard practice throughout the automotve industry. The shop you chose has exceeded either the time, the hourly rate or both. Since you chose the shop, it is between you and them. It is possible that an authorized Workhorse shop might have done the same, but it typically does not happen.

It is quite likely that the shop is no longer associated with Workhorse because they declined to perform work for the hourly rate that Workhorse was willing to pay, or because they feel that Workhorse's flat rate time allowances are insufficient. That doesn't necessarily make them crooks or ripoff artists and they are certainly within their rights to charge their standard posted labor rates for all work they do.

On Workhorse's part, they already did you a favor by allowing an outside shop of your choice to perform the repair. They are under no obligation to do so.

All in all, I would agree with Driver that $77 is not a steep price for the convenience of getting the repair done closer to home. You can also consider it a fairly low price to learn how warranty payments are made and the potential problems of going outside the authorized repair system.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote