Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #267

I debated asking, but can you check recall status on mine, too?

Mr Gray, if I knew what your sources are, I wouldn't bother you.. But I have no option, but to ask you for your input like everyone else.
I just purchased an '03 Itasca 39T with 30,000 miles on it. Ordered 6 new Michelins due to sidewall rot, and during the tire install, I took the liberty of checking my brakes when the wheels were removed.
The rt rear rotor has gotten so hot that it has cracked in 3 places and the caliper piston seals are destroyed. The lt rear has indications of excess heat, but not enough to crack the rotor and melt the caliper piston seals. I knew about the recall from various posts on here, so I called Navistar and after being passed around a while... they responded that there are no open recalls on my VIN. Since my brake issues sound like textbook recall items... I want to know if and what has been done in my coach's history regarding it. Is the system that you use capable of telling what recalls have been done and when? If so, could you please run my VIN and see what you get?
Thanks in advance! Larry Bassett
5B4MP67G533359579
LarryBassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2021, 04:53 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBassett View Post
Mr Gray, if I knew what your sources are, I wouldn't bother you.. But I have no option, but to ask you for your input like everyone else.
I just purchased an '03 Itasca 39T with 30,000 miles on it. Ordered 6 new Michelins due to sidewall rot, and during the tire install, I took the liberty of checking my brakes when the wheels were removed.
The rt rear rotor has gotten so hot that it has cracked in 3 places and the caliper piston seals are destroyed. The lt rear has indications of excess heat, but not enough to crack the rotor and melt the caliper piston seals. I knew about the recall from various posts on here, so I called Navistar and after being passed around a while... they responded that there are no open recalls on my VIN. Since my brake issues sound like textbook recall items... I want to know if and what has been done in my coach's history regarding it. Is the system that you use capable of telling what recalls have been done and when? If so, could you please run my VIN and see what you get?
Thanks in advance! Larry Bassett
5B4MP67G533359579
Larry: WELCOME to iRV2.com

According to the "build sheet" I have downloaded, that chassis had the usual 3 recalls, including 51101-C to replace all 4 Bosch calipers, and all 3 recalls were completed.

IF you want the build sheet and history of repairs made under WCC warranty, send me an email, so I can attach them to a reply. This stuff is too big to display properly here. edgray1@gmail.com
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #269

Thank you Ed!

Really appreciate the information that you provided... Thank you, and God Bless!
LarryBassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:07 AM   #270

I just got a super quick email reply from Ed Gray regarding the Bosch brake recall on the new-to-us 2005 Safari Trek, along with a build sheet. Thanks Ed! (and in return I just became an IRV2 supporter).
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-ladue View Post
How are you on p32 Auto park brake issues, no power to pump, backup lights, or backup camera when you take out of park!!!!!!
We will need year make an model for further evaluation.
I don't think all 3 are related just the last 2 are.
Do you have auto park the one with the yellow knob on the dash if so ck fuses and the relay. Depending on yr it's either up front drivers side where fluid is added or under the passenger side.
This also pertains to the relay location.
Mitzlplik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #272

I also need some info from Edgray

Dear EdGray,
I purchased a 2002 Winnebago Sightseer Vin 584KP57G623347649, this last trip ABS light came on and passenger side front rim felt hot. I just found out about the recall and was wondering if you could give me info on it also.

Thanks Stump
STUMP1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUMP1014 View Post
Dear EdGray,
I purchased a 2002 Winnebago Sightseer Vin 584KP57G623347649, this last trip ABS light came on and passenger side front rim felt hot. I just found out about the recall and was wondering if you could give me info on it also.

Thanks Stump
WELCOME to iRV2.com !

I can tell from the vin # that is a P32 series chassis. NONE of them were recalled for brake issues because they did not have Bosch brakes.
That doesn’t mean you don’t have a caliper that is hanging up and dragging the brake, possibly ruining the ABS sensor, but fixing the problem will be at your expense. Sorry.

I do wish you good luck and suggest you try replacing the flex hose before buying a new caliper. IF you want the build sheet, send me an email: edgray1@gmail.com
Old 09-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #274

Hi Ed, I'm new to the site looking at an 2006 winnebago adventurer and emailed you for some info. Just want to make sure you see I'm legit. Thanks

Dave Schindler
Newtosite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:12 PM   #275

Thanks EdGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
WELCOME to iRV2.com !

I can tell from the vin # that is a P32 series chassis. NONE of them were recalled for brake issues because they did not have Bosch brakes.
That doesn’t mean you don’t have a caliper that is hanging up and dragging the brake, possibly ruining the ABS sensor, but fixing the problem will be at your expense. Sorry.

I do wish you good luck and suggest you try replacing the flex hose before buying a new caliper. IF you want the build sheet, send me an email: edgray1@gmail.com
Thanks I appreciate the quick response. I will shoot you an email and welcome any insight you may have as far as getting parts and what's interchangable between 3500s or other models.
STUMP1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtosite View Post
Hi Ed, I'm new to the site looking at an 2006 winnebago adventurer and emailed you for some info. Just want to make sure you see I'm legit. Thanks Dave Schindler
WELCOME to iRV2.com
I just replied to your email. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
WELCOME to iRV2.com !

Before you start throwing parts at your coach needlessly, remove the wheel which doesn't want to turn. Press the brake pedal firmly. If the rotor won't turn freely after releasing the brake pedal loosen the caliper bleeder. If you see a spurt of fluid come out of the bleeder and the rotor turns freely you have a bad flex hose. If the rotor still won't turn freely you have #1) a piston is seized in the caliper or #2) the caliper is seized to the caliper mount or bracket.
Calipers are still available for the P 32 chassis. My 2002 uses the same caliper with the same part number on all four corners. Just be sure you install the bleeder screw on the top of the caliper after it's mounted and install the hose on the bottom.
Regardless of what you have to do to repair your problem this is a good time to do a thorough flushing of the entire braking system and use new fluid. Old fluid will collect moisture and can affect performance of the braking system. Moisture can also contribute to the swelling of the pheonelic pistons in the caliper. If moisture boils you can lose all your braking power with no warning. I'm speaking from experience, and not a good one as well as a long career in the auto light truck repair field.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #278

Hello EdGray!
I just acquired a 2006 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager model 8388. It’s been setting mostly idle a few years so it’s got some issues that I’m dealing with. I need to know what recalls have affected it and, if so, fixed or not. VIN 5b4mpa7g063414009. Thanks.
MrWilsonSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWilsonSL View Post
Hello EdGray!
I just acquired a 2006 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager model 8388. It’s been setting mostly idle a few years so it’s got some issues that I’m dealing with. I need to know what recalls have affected it and, if so, fixed or not. VIN 5b4mpa7g063414009. Thanks.
CONGRATS on your new ride.
That is a 2006 model year W-24, so it was NOT included in the "brake recall". It had 2 recalls, the first to inspect the steering shaft was done 6-21-2006 @ 1,993 miles. The second recall was to replace the CLIP on the fuel rail pulse dampener, but it remains "open" = not done. This isn't a big deal, IMO, because if it hasn't failed by now, it probably won't.
IF you want the build sheet, send me an email: edgray1@gmail.com

OBTW, it has the J72 version of the AAPB, so you will want to learn about that.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #280

Thank you! What is AAPB and what does J72 mean? I’m a very green newbie on motor homes. I also have non working power mirrors and my air horn doesn’t work so I’ve been trying to find the causes. And I have a sewer valve leak. Any tips or should I ask about them separately in other sub forums? And would you like to move to Oklahoma for awhile and take a look at my rig? Just kidding.

Update: I looked up AAPB and now I know what you’re talking about. Is the Ultrasave kit the best option to add and prevent failure?
MrWilsonSL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, recall, workhorse, workhorse chassis