Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Workhorse chassis wiring

We have owned an '06 Damon Intruder since it was new. Each year we winterize it. For some reason this year when we were getting it ready for the new season and I hooked up the chassis battery's positive terminal wires there was a lot of sparks, Traced it down to the starter where the positive wire had milted through. I now need to trace the wiring from the battery to the starter, to the alternator and on to find where the short is occurring. My Workhorse owners manual gives no chassis wiring diagrams at all. Any ideas where I might be able to download one?
DalePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
what chassis? P32 or W22? You can do a search at the top of the page. I'm sure you might find some helpful information. I know there is one there for a 2004 W22 chassis. I'm sure a lot of years where the same. Hope this helps. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/workh...ram-57218.html
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #3

Is it the main 12v wire to the starter? If so it's a direct line from the battery to the starter so easy to follow. If it's the 12v from ignition to engage the starter that's a little harder to follow.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Is it the main 12v wire to the starter? If so it's a direct line from the battery to the starter so easy to follow. If it's the 12v from ignition to engage the starter that's a little harder to follow.
The starter has three wires, one large black from the battery to the starter, one smaller black with red dashes and a much smaller one that engages the solenoid. I've traced the wire directly from the battery to the starter and it's good. I need to trace the black with red dashes wire back to the other end.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye1995 View Post
what chassis? P32 or W22? You can do a search at the top of the page. I'm sure you might find some helpful information. I know there is one there for a 2004 W22 chassis. I'm sure a lot of years where the same. Hope this helps. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/workh...ram-57218.html
It's the W22 chassis. The starter has three wires, one large black from the battery to the starter, one smaller black with red dashes and a much smaller one that engages the solenoid. I've traced the wire directly from the battery to the starter and it's good. I need to trace the black with red dashes wire back to the other end.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #6

Winnebago has chassis wiring schematics for the Workhorse chassis. I know you have a Damon but some of the chassis and dash wiring is supplied by Workhorse and may be the same or similar.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:47 AM   #7

Did you get it figured out?
kycondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
I know the black wire runs from the negative side of the battery to the chassis ground and I thought the other three red wires went back on the + side of the battery. One of the red wires runs from + on the battery to the hydraulic motor for the levelers, another runs to the starter solenoid and the third runs to the alternator. When I connect the battery to ground and one red wire to the battery terminal on the starter solenoid, all is good. But when I connect the wire from the starter solenoid to the alternator I get all kinds of sparks. So I believe something between the battery terminal on the starter solenoid to the alternator and/or beyond is grounded out to chassis ground (dead short). I've dealt in electronics my who life both as a job and hobby so I have a good working knowledge in electricity. It's just tracing the menagerie of wires through the harnesses that's giving me a fit. I've found in one place the wire enters a foil covered harness as black and exits as red. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, tracing wire through harnesses. And I do appreciate your thoughts, thank you.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look at your parking brake cable where it comes through the firewall, on my Hurricane, it past by the BCC and shorted to the BCC terminal sticking out the side. Your BCC FW2050 has both chassis and coach "hot" terminals sticking out the passenger side of it, make sure nothing is contacting them. Note: I think the wire that you think goes to your levelers may be the wire that goes to your BCC.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can download a service manual from Navistar HERE -along with a lot of other stuff.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #11

I hope I understand your description of the wiring. Based on what I think you said I would disconnect the output wire on the back of alternator so it's not connected at either end. Then meter between the alternator wire and ground. If that is a short to ground you need to trace that wire, it should be a pretty short run and not hard to follow. If it reads open then measure between the output lug of the alternator to ground. If that reads zero you have one or more shorted diodes in the alternator. If that reads open, well I don't know. One of those two tests should show the short to ground.

Tags
wiring, workhorse, chassis, workhorse chassis