Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2007, 06:15 AM   #127

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knebrdr:
Well,
Since I did not get an answer to my EO# question, I will keep my money in my pocket.
Randy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't see a problem with that
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #128
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Allright another day another 50 posts!

I just pulled an Edge Juice box for a Dodge off the shelf and found no EO#.The sell million's of these for diesel trucks & coaches,apparently they dont need one.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #129

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, diesels don't have to pass smog tests here in California, our gas rig do and those of us with your mods are very concerned that we still don't have a CARB exemption number and sticker. How about a straight answer, are we or are we not going to get the exemption number and sticker? If not, it means having to at least take off the Cold Air Induction and any other visable mods to pass smog. This is by no means a small, easy task. Don't get me wrong, I love my mods, but have been hearing for well over a year the we would be getting the required CARB Exemption number and sticker. Still waiting and would appreciate an answer for all to see. Thanks, Rick
Old 05-04-2007, 07:26 AM   #130
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Rick,

We are still waiting as well,we are working with a new company since our deal with s&b fell apart.We have had customers pass smog test already,without an issue.The CARB cert.is extremely expensive,so we are trying to get it approved with the CAI unit's.This was part of our deal with Green.If i need to I'll pay for your air box to be swapped back & fourth.When is your coach due for the test?I know this has been a thorn for you Rick,so I'll do what ever we need to do to help you.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #131

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I appreciate "007" coming over to the Workhorse Fuel Mileage Post to caution about the name calling.

It's a shame the Newmar moderator had to step in to stop this, but I appreciate it!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with what he said; however, it seemed to me that you were doing a lot of fanning of the flames on this one.

Bill

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rickandcheryl:
those of us with your mods are very concerned that we still don't have a CARB exemption number and sticker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your not speaking for me, I'm not worried at all.
Marty
Old 05-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #133

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
Worekhorse chassis would not suck in water. If the box builder had done there design job right in the first place. Funny how some of us have NO water problem and some DO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, I said that, Way up thread

Yes, it's not a workhorse problem, Workhorse national service manager spoke at a rally I attended and explained it in great detail

I've driven through just about everythign with my Intruder, Rain, Snow, Standing water and to date.. Narry a stall out due to water ingestion and no evidence it's happening. It's all in the way they attach the body to the chassis.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #134

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When all the bits and bytes have been converted to text on this and others threads on the subject of mods, the only thing that remains constant is the fact we are all subject to facts of Caveat Emptor (hopefully I spelled it correctly). Speaking only for myself, it is not now and has not previously been my aim to further the sale of or to prevent the sale of any products. I first got involved because, at least I perceived, all the pertinent information was not being posted. One day someone would post that WCC was aware of and at least by their inaction acceptable to the mods being installed. That the EPA and CARB certifications were in hand and there was no problems with the GM and/or WCC warranties after mods were installed due to the Magnussen-Moss Act. At this point I think we all know that this is not 100% accurate. It has been said on numerous occasions and much better than I can, that we have the freedom to do what we wish with our rigs. Not living in a state that requires emissions testing and/or even vehicle inspection of any type, I am completely free to do whatever I wish. I have not to this point perceived any need to do so. That said, I did decide to once more review the EPA and CARB requirements for after market motor vehicle components / systems. Below is posted some of what I feel is pertinent information that all MHer's should have the opportunity to review before installing any modification to their drive trains. If you live in 49 of the 50 states your decision is somewhat less harrowing, but if you live in California, you should make sure you have studied the applicable regulations closely. Reading the EPA requirements, it seems that you will be deemed to have violated the Clean Air Act if you have made any changes that would invalidate the OEM's original certification. To me it is pretty clear if you are installing any mods that have not been certified you are at risk, but I would think any chance of being subject to fines are very slim. However, the California act provides much more chances for detection. I have copied and pasted some of the highlights.
From the CARB Clean Air Act:
Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB.
DEFINITIONS

"˘ Air Cleaner Modification - modifications to the air cleaner and/or its housing.
"˘ Air Filter/Intake Modification - open element air filters, modifications to the air flow intake tract, heat risers/preheat ducts.
"˘ Engine Modification/Engine Change - kits that include multiple engine modifications such as new cylinder heads and camshafts, or boring and stroking; engine changes using an engine certified for another late model vehicle application, with additional engine modifications.
"˘ Exhaust System/Exhaust Modification - exhaust manifold, exhaust headers, exhaust pipes, crossover pipes, etc.
"˘ Fuel Line Modification - devices designed to attach to or be inserted in the fuel line.
"˘ Fuel System Modification - fuel filters, gas caps, pressure regulators.
"˘ Intake/Exhaust System - a kit that includes both intake and exhaust components.

Additional Information for Manufacturers of Aftermarket Parts
An exemption from Vehicle Code Section 27156 (VC 27156), California's anti-tampering law, is required before any add-on or modified part can be sold in California. Manufacturers interested in obtaining a VC 27156 exemption for an add-on or a modified part should fill-out and submit an application form to the ARB for evaluation. Detailed information on how to do this can be obtained from the document, "Procedures for Exemption of Add-On and Modified Parts," amended June 1, 1990. (Acrobat - 2.54M)

CERTIFICATION
The On-Road Certification/Audit Section is responsible for the certification and production audit of new passenger cars (PC), light-duty trucks (LDT), medium-duty vehicles (MDV), heavy-duty engines (HDE) and vehicles (HDV) including urban buses (UB), on- and off-road motorcycles (ONMC and OFMC), all-terrain vehicles (ATV), and electric golf carts (eGC). Vehicles and engines (hereinafter, vehicles) are not legal for sale in California until certified. Violation of the requirement for certification can subject the vehicle manufacturers and/or selling dealers to enforcement actions including a fine of up to $5000 per vehicle.
"˘It would appear that the way around the CARB restrictions is not to sell and/or install in California. Then the burden of compliance is fully on the purchaser.

"˘However, what if one happens to sell a MH that has had the OEM ECM/ECU software changed to an unapproved version and does so to someone in California or worst who wants to relocate it to California. Would the original owner who installed the mods be subject to the $5000 fine and could a slick lawyer sue their pants off them for selling a modified vehicle?

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #135

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems to me that there a a few posters here who don't have and don't want the Ultrapower but they seem to be the most incensed about it.

If you don't have a dog in this hunt then why are you here stirring the pot? Are you deliberately stirring things up or are you just trying to boost your numbers or maybe you don't have a life.

I have the Ultrapower, I understand the risks involved and I went ahead and did it anyway. It used to be called hot rodding years ago and to me it's the same thing, just on a larger scale.

Max49, I believe you said that you have modified your motorcycles. You did it because you thought they would run better, go faster, etc. Nobody bothered you when you did your aftermarket work so get off our backs for doing the same thing.

For the rest of you who are here making noise just for the sake of making noise, stop already. My hearing is already bad enough without you constantly turning up the volume.

We did it, you didn't. Enough said.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #136

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It seems to me that there a a few posters here who don't have and don't want the Ultrapower but they seem to be the most incensed about it.

If you don't have a dog in this hunt then why are you here stirring the pot? Are you deliberately stirring things up or are you just trying to boost your numbers or maybe you don't have a life.

I have the Ultrapower, I understand the risks involved and I went ahead and did it anyway. It used to be called hot rodding years ago and to me it's the same thing, just on a larger scale.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> How about those that have not yet made the same decision and don't have your level of experience, are they not entitled to know as much as possible on the subject before doing so?

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #137

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skipsor:
It seems to me that there a a few posters here who don't have and don't want the Ultrapower but they seem to be the most incensed about it.

Max49, I believe you said that you have modified your motorcycles. You did it because you thought they would run better, go faster, etc. Nobody bothered you when you did your aftermarket work so get off our backs for doing the same thing.

For the rest of you who are here making noise just for the sake of making noise, stop already. My hearing is already bad enough without you constantly turning up the volume.

We did it, you didn't. Enough said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #138

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geechee:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It seems to me that there a a few posters here who don't have and don't want the Ultrapower but they seem to be the most incensed about it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> How about those that have not yet made the same decision and don't have your level of experience, are they not entitled to know as much as possible on the subject before doing so? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But the problem you ask the SAME thing over and over, stop already
Old 05-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #139

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, my motorhome is a 2004 so we still have some time left before it has to go for it's first smog test. Just trying to stay on top of this because I know that without the CARB Exemption Number and sticker it WILL be a problem here in California. Thanks, Rick
Old 05-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #140
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ok Rick,I'll let you know as soon as I know something.